Hawaii recommendations for 2 week stay? Maui and [??]

Old January 13th, 2005, 09:32 PM
PeterL

If you want to see active volcano it'll have to be the big island. Maui has
a dormant volcano. The other island I can recommend is definitely Kauai.

"Todd H." wrote in message

Greetings,

I'm looking for some recommendations to narrow down plans on a 2-stop
itinerary, 2 hotels, and dive operators for a trip we're pondering
Hawaii in March for a 2 week stay. At this point, I'm not even sure
the best place to fly into! From what I've read and investigated,
about all I have it narrowed down to is "you'll really like Maui"
"skip Honoloulou-you've got enough of that big city crap in Chicago,"
and I think we'd enjoy staying week 1 and week 2 in different places,
and above all else this trip should be relaxing.

We're both early 30-somethings, and pretty active. We've been to the
Carribbean and Thailand in the past. Having the beach or water close
at hand for snorkeling is a priority, and we will be looking to dive
oh... say, 4 or 5 days over the course of our 2 weeks. I've got about
25 dives under my belt over the past 7 years and my SO was certified
last year, so we won't be looking for adrenaline filled diving or
anything. :-)

Our last vacation was way overpacked on a go go go itinerary, so the
m.o. for this trip is "relaxing." For me that involves planting my
hiney near a large body of water in the sun, snorkeling, and some
diving. If there's beach volleyball to be had that's a pleasant
bonus. I wanna see the volcanoes, maybe some kayaking, maybe rent a
car and drive around the island. And I think I'd like to pick up camp
and move only once during the stay (so, I guess i'm looking for 2
hotels, one in Maui somewhere, and one on another island..unless
inter-island transport is too much of a pain).

We don't have money to burn by any stretch, but I'm also willing to
pay to be in a place that's clean and not run down. I've got a mental
idea of wanting to stay under $225 a night but I've also not looked
enough to whether that's terribly realistic.

I'd welcome any recommendations to narrow it down some! Thanks for
any experiences you can share!

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Old January 13th, 2005, 11:21 PM
BruceB

about all I have it narrowed down to is "you'll really like Maui"
"skip Honoloulou-you've got enough of that big city crap in Chicago,"

All I can say is Maui Nö Ka `Oi -- Maui is the best.. Yes, you probably
should skip Honolulu, although there's quite a bit on that island.

We're both early 30-somethings, and pretty active. We've been to the
Carribbean and Thailand in the past. Having the beach or water close
at hand for snorkeling is a priority, and we will be looking to dive
oh... say, 4 or 5 days over the course of our 2 weeks. I've got about
25 dives under my belt over the past 7 years and my SO was certified
last year, so we won't be looking for adrenaline filled diving or

You can get great diving in Maui or Hawai'i (Big Island). Maybe anywhere.

I wanna see the volcanoes, maybe some kayaking, maybe rent a
car and drive around the island. And I think I'd like to pick up camp
and move only once during the stay (so, I guess i'm looking for 2
hotels, one in Maui somewhere, and one on another island..unless
inter-island transport is too much of a pain).

It's a pain, but not excessively so. If you've never been to the state
before, 2 islands are probably worth the trouble. Personally, I'd pick Maui
and the Big Island. Totally different, but both still pretty Hawaiian (esp.
Big Island).

We don't have money to burn by any stretch, but I'm also willing to
pay to be in a place that's clean and not run down. I've got a mental
idea of wanting to stay under $225 a night but I've also not looked
enough to whether that's terribly realistic.

Really easy to find a nice place for that either island. You gotta look
around a little, but it's do-able. It's really easy to pay too much if
you're not careful.

Old January 14th, 2005, 12:08 AM
punk-tilous

Personally, I think the Big Island has the best diving and where I'm partial
to Dive Makai. Since you have 2 weeks, I wouldn't skip Honolulu but give it
no more that 2 days. Snorkel at Hanauma Bay. Maui has the best beaches but
the diving is so so. Kauai has great scenery but never did get to dive
there.

Old January 14th, 2005, 12:11 AM

In article , Todd H. wrote:
"skip Honoloulou-you've got enough of that big city crap in Chicago,"
and I think we'd enjoy staying week 1 and week 2 in different places,
and above all else this trip should be relaxing.

Hawaii's best restraunts and night clubs are in Honolulu. Honolulu
also has a higher residents-to-tourists ratio (at least outside of
Waikiki). If those don't interest you, then you won't miss much
by skipping Honolulu. The other islands have more natural beauty
and outdoor activities.

Old January 14th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake (Todd H.) :

[...]

When we do two weeks, it's usually a week on Maui, a week on The Big
Island, in Kona.

Our last vacation was way overpacked on a go go go itinerary, so the
m.o. for this trip is "relaxing." For me that involves planting my
hiney near a large body of water in the sun, snorkeling, and some
diving. If there's beach volleyball to be had that's a pleasant
bonus. I wanna see the volcanoes, maybe some kayaking, maybe rent a
car and drive around the island. And I think I'd like to pick up camp
and move only once during the stay (so, I guess i'm looking for 2
hotels, one in Maui somewhere, and one on another island..unless
inter-island transport is too much of a pain).

Both Aloha and Hawaiian run pretty regular schedules. It's just a
matter of lining up for the best seats.

We don't have money to burn by any stretch, but I'm also willing to
pay to be in a place that's clean and not run down. I've got a mental
idea of wanting to stay under $225 a night but I've also not looked
enough to whether that's terribly realistic.

You can find a condo for around $175. I really recommend trying that
route.

I'd welcome any recommendations to narrow it down some! Thanks for
any experiences you can share!

Best Regards,

--
dillon

"When the French are against it, you know we can't
be far wrong." - Adm. Bobbie Ray Inman