Hawaii recommendations for 2 week stay? Maui and [??]

Old January 29th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Greg Mossman

"Todd H." wrote in message

Unfortunately economics got involved and I cut my vacation back and
simplified a bit. I was able to find a package that dropped me on
Maui for 10 days at the Ritz Carlton including airfare from Chicago
for less than $4k total for 2. Comparing with other hotels and even
remotely as nice places, I couldn't muster a lower number.

The Ritz-Carlton is obviously much more comfortable than a condo. The
disadvantage of staying up in Kapalua is that you're very far from the good
dive ops which are all based in Kihei. Yes, you can dive with Lahaina dive
ops, but you won't be diving with the best and it can make a difference in
Hawaii. When I stay in Kaanapali I still make the 45 minute drive down to
Kihei to dive with Ed Robinsons's. From Kapalua, it's at least an hour's
drive.

Old January 29th, 2005, 08:27 AM
TheNewsGuy

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 02:41:46 GMT, "Marior" wrote:

snip

Edmonton and believe me I'd rather be there longer than here!
10days is great but why not maximize Time instead of 5star next time?

I'm with you -

and *I* find a nice condo WAY better than any hotel room.

Here are me pics from my recent three week visit.

http://tnguym.50megs.com/index.htm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old January 29th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Marior

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 02:41:46 GMT, "Marior" wrote:

snip

Edmonton and believe me I'd rather be there longer than here!
10days is great but why not maximize Time instead of 5star next time?

I'm with you -

and *I* find a nice condo WAY better than any hotel room.

Here are me pics from my recent three week visit.

http://tnguym.50megs.com/index.htm

Great pictures, thanks for sharing them. looks like we did some of the same
stuff out there. Hana, Haleakala, I liked your Condo beach and malakawena,
Hilo, pictures the best. I'm a prairie boy sucker for beach, surf,
pictures. That and the natural flora and fauna. Seems like you capture the
same scenes I do. Looks like I would've liked Hilo we didn't make it on the
Big Island but did Maui, Kauai and Oahu in that order. I think its about
right as Maui is a good Hawaii primer, has a little of everything, Kauai is
a much more intense experience (absolutely loved it) and Oahu gets you set
for going back home what with the more urban pace on one part of the island.
As you discovered though Oahu has some great off the beaten track places and
for people that just want one island, no worries, no need for a car I'd
recommend it. It strikes me that Oahu is a very beautiful island, somewhat
like Kauai and its not surprising why Oahu was the island first heavily
sought after for habitation. I didn't go to the big Island yet and still
not sure about it other than the Hilo side. Interested in your opinions.
What I most liked about Kauai is that it is a magical, somewhat small island
that you can explore efficiently and have more time to stop and enjoy the
sights while always being not far from the beach. People who don't need to
see lots of Waikiki, or development and just want a more serene experience
would do well to just go to Kauai it seems.
When I'm planning a trip I max out the time as mentioned and minimize the
cost as Hawaii for instance deserves the time. IMO it would be tragic to go
there for just a week unless you were able to do so say annually. I have no
difficulty sticking to a 100dollar canadian/night price for two range in
Hawaii and having reasonable, comfortable, accomodation and always with
kitchen. To me it would detract or distract from my experience knowing I'm
spending 3-400bucks per night and one tends to feel that they need to spend
more time in the resort to somehow justify that expense. Paying a bare
minimum and viewing your accomodation as just primarily a place to sleep or
kick back allows you more time and freedom to spend in Hawaii, not in a
contrived resort. Sorry about the rambling discourse and I'm sure many
don't agree but just my opinion. I definitely don't go for the all inclusive
resorts which tend to keep you tied down more instead of seeing the sights
and experiencing the people and place. In Mexico I'd suppose its the way
to go.

Old January 29th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Greg Mossman

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" wrote in message

and *I* find a nice condo WAY better than any hotel room.

http://tnguym.50megs.com/index.htm

Nice pictures of hotels. Where are all the nice condos you rave about?

Old January 29th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Greg Mossman

"Marior" wrote in message

I definitely don't go for the all inclusive
resorts which tend to keep you tied down more instead of seeing the sights
and experiencing the people and place. In Mexico I'd suppose its the way
to go.

Why is all-inclusive the way to go in Mexico, but not Hawaii? The Mexican
people are much friendlier than Hawaiians and they have very nice sights.
Why wouldn't you want to experience them too?

Old January 29th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Marior

"Greg Mossman" wrote in message
"Marior" wrote in message

I definitely don't go for the all inclusive
resorts which tend to keep you tied down more instead of seeing the

sights
and experiencing the people and place. In Mexico I'd suppose its the

way
to go.

Why is all-inclusive the way to go in Mexico, but not Hawaii? The Mexican
people are much friendlier than Hawaiians and they have very nice sights.

Are you inferrring that my comment was prejudicial in nature to the mexican
people? It wasn't, its just my feelings about relative safety in Mexico. I
find your comment about Mexicans being friendlier than Hawaiians in the
context odd if you are at all judging my comment. Hawaiian people I have
met are plenty friendly. Regardless, people are people but some economies,
facts of life, make some areas inordinately safer than others. When I
travel I like to target places where I won't be targeted.....My suggestion
on the all-inclusive being more the way to go in Mexico is founded on the
beaten track is the safer way to go there thats all. The proliferation and
domination of that form of tourism industry in mexico is there for a reason
and tends to confirm my view. Ask yourself what proportion of people who go
to Mexico wander off the beaten track or stray from the carefully guided and
in many cases armed tours or even venture off farther than the local town.
Not the way I prefer to spend my vacation.

Why wouldn't you want to experience them too?

I would, I have a particular interest in the surviviving Mayan, Aztec,
ruins and even colonial architecture.
But I have no interest in running into the local drug cartel, or insurgents,
or some roadside unauthorized checkpoint with semi-automatic rifles, or
meeting someone who would kill me in an instant because the cash in my
pocket was more than they'd earn in a year. Or crooked police, or corrupt
jurispudence. Not to mention the potentially bad water or food found
outside the resorts.

Hope this makes it more clear.

Old January 29th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Greg Mossman

"Marior" wrote in message

Are you inferrring that my comment was prejudicial in nature to the
mexican
people? It wasn't, its just my feelings about relative safety in Mexico.

But the U.S. is much more dangerous than Mexico. Hawaii has horrific rates
of theft from tourists, assaults against tourists, and drugs and
prostitution are rampant.

find your comment about Mexicans being friendlier than Hawaiians in the
context odd if you are at all judging my comment. Hawaiian people I have
met are plenty friendly.

Sure, all the tour group leaders pretend to be friendly. That's how they
earn tips. Try getting off the beaten path a bit and see how friendly the
locals are to haole tourists.

Regardless, people are people but some economies,
facts of life, make some areas inordinately safer than others. When I
travel I like to target places where I won't be targeted.....My suggestion
on the all-inclusive being more the way to go in Mexico is founded on the
beaten track is the safer way to go there thats all.

That's utterly ridiculous. The beaten track is the way all naive tourists
go, leading the pack for the thugs who prey on tourists to follow.

The proliferation and
domination of that form of tourism industry in mexico is there for a
reason
and tends to confirm my view. Ask yourself what proportion of people who
go
to Mexico wander off the beaten track or stray from the carefully guided
and
in many cases armed tours or even venture off farther than the local town.

Domination? What do you know about Mexico? Name one place outside the
Playa del Carmen area where all-inclusives dominate. They only proliferate
because of silly Canadians like you who are afraid of anyone with darker
skin who doesn't speak English very well.

Not the way I prefer to spend my vacation.

That's what it sounds like to me.

But I have no interest in running into the local drug cartel, or
insurgents,
or some roadside unauthorized checkpoint with semi-automatic rifles, or
meeting someone who would kill me in an instant because the cash in my
pocket was more than they'd earn in a year. Or crooked police, or corrupt
jurispudence. Not to mention the potentially bad water or food found
outside the resorts.

God are you stupid.

Hope this makes it more clear.

Oh yeah. You're afraid of any place outside of Canada that doesn't look
exactly like Canada, complete with bland food and shopping malls. Very
clear. Why don't you just take cruise ships? Then you don't even have to
leave the boat.

Old January 29th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Marior

"Marior" wrote in message

Are you inferrring that my comment was prejudicial in nature to the
mexican
people? It wasn't, its just my feelings about relative safety in Mexico.

But the U.S. is much more dangerous than Mexico. Hawaii has horrific

rates
of theft from tourists, assaults against tourists, and drugs and
prostitution are rampant.

Mexico has higher rates of murder of tourists more than a few that have come
from where I live. Hawaii used to have much more of a marijuana grow
industry than they do now but its largely wiped out its primarily crystal
meth now just like on the continent.

find your comment about Mexicans being friendlier than Hawaiians in the
context odd if you are at all judging my comment. Hawaiian people I

have
met are plenty friendly.

Sure, all the tour group leaders pretend to be friendly. That's how they
earn tips. Try getting off the beaten path a bit and see how friendly the
locals are to haole tourists.

I explored the islands entirely, got well of the beaten track and never had
a problem. I didn't have a problem largely because I didn't act like an
ahole haole.

Regardless, people are people but some economies,
facts of life, make some areas inordinately safer than others. When I
travel I like to target places where I won't be targeted.....My

suggestion
on the all-inclusive being more the way to go in Mexico is founded on

the
beaten track is the safer way to go there thats all.

That's utterly ridiculous. The beaten track is the way all naive tourists
go, leading the pack for the thugs who prey on tourists to follow.

Are you the local abusive troll around here and I somehow missed that? If
anybodys reading this please fill me in.

The proliferation and
domination of that form of tourism industry in mexico is there for a
reason
and tends to confirm my view. Ask yourself what proportion of people

who
go
to Mexico wander off the beaten track or stray from the carefully guided
and
in many cases armed tours or even venture off farther than the local

town.

Domination? What do you know about Mexico? Name one place outside the
Playa del Carmen area where all-inclusives dominate.

OK, I'll play. Manzanillo, Acapulco, Ixtapa, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, to
name just a few and any other fly to destination that all the tourists seem
to go.

They only proliferate
because of silly Canadians like you who are afraid of anyone with darker
skin who doesn't speak English very well.

Yes Greg, I'm sure that must be it..........

Not the way I prefer to spend my vacation.

That's what it sounds like to me.

I'm certainly getting an impression on this end

But I have no interest in running into the local drug cartel, or
insurgents,
or some roadside unauthorized checkpoint with semi-automatic rifles, or
meeting someone who would kill me in an instant because the cash in my
pocket was more than they'd earn in a year. Or crooked police, or

corrupt
jurispudence. Not to mention the potentially bad water or food found
outside the resorts.

God are you stupid.

you deny all of the above?

Hope this makes it more clear.

Oh yeah. You're afraid of any place outside of Canada that doesn't look
exactly like Canada, complete with bland food and shopping malls. Very
clear. Why don't you just take cruise ships? Then you don't even have to
leave the boat.

I like all types of food just not that are likely to cause intestinal
problems for the duration of the holiday and possibly much more serious
including hepatitis. Just Because I prefer a safe holiday for my family you
see this as a reason to suggest I'm the type that doesn't get off tour
boats? Go on thinking whatever you want to think and I'll keep enjoying my
safe exploration just the same. I guess that I prefer going to Hawaii
rather than Mexico because I CAN explore pretty much every region escapes
you.....