Gatwick to Heathrow

Old August 7th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Hatunen

Default Gatwick to Heathrow

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 15:38:02 -0700, "Ken Blake"
wrote:

Next month, we return home form Europe, changing planes in
London. But we arrive at Gatwick and then depart from Heathrow.

What's the best way to get from Gatwick to Heathrow? The BA
representative suggested taking the Speed Link bus? Is that best?
He said it takes an hour and a quarter. Is it usually on time or
is he being optimistic?

They leave frequently, so it's not a matter of being ontime. The
time on-route is probably about 1.25 hours, but the bus does get
on a motorway and it is possible for it to be blocked up in a
traffic jam, I suppose.

It can take quite a bit of time just getting through Gatwick to
the shuttle stop and likewise at Heathrow getting to your gate.
I'd allow more like three hours from landing to departure. And
remember you have to get your luggage at Gatwick and re-check it
at Heathrow even for the same airline.

How often does it run? How much does it cost? Can we pay on the
bus, or do we need to buy tickets first? Can we pay by credit
card? If not, what currencies do they accept, besides pounds?
Dollars? Euros?

http://www.speedlink.co.uk/speedlink_page.html

Or if you recommend a different mode of transport, please answer
all the same questions about it.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Old August 7th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Ken Blake

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old August 8th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Ken Blake

In ,
Hatunen typed:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much. We have 3 hours 50 minutes between flights, so
we should be OK. BA says we should have no problem, and that if
we do, they'll put us on a later flight.

Old August 8th, 2004, 03:24 AM
John Vittoe

"Johan" wrote in message
This is something that sucks big time. I never travel with

British Airways
anymore just for that. I thought it was something like 60

pounds (no idea
how many $ that is) They refuse Euro's so you have to exchange

dollars witch
cost money too. It's one big rip off, takes forever to get from

one airport
to the other and you're plain exhausted because you have to

carry you're
whole household on that bus. If you think you will enjoy the

trip, well
forget it. There's nothing to see besides car's driving on the

wrong side
of the road. Never in my whole life again.

Thanks very much. We have 3 hours 50 minutes between flights,

so
we should be OK. BA says we should have no problem, and that

if
we do, they'll put us on a later flight.

We took it last September, didn't seem like much of a hassle. The
cost was 17£ each and 12£ each if you were over 60. That's $30 US
or $22 each. They take credit cards so that is the best way to
pay. British Airways used to provide it as a free service if you
were traveling on one ticket but, like most things, it's no
longer free. Not much to see on the M25 Ring Road but the coach
was comfortable. Other than a taxi or limo, the only other way
would be to go into London and out again on the Gatwick train.
This would be more expensive and more difficult.

--
John Vittoe
"Chance Favors a Prepared Mind."

Old August 8th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Nige

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
Next month, we return home form Europe, changing planes in
London. But we arrive at Gatwick and then depart from Heathrow.

What's the best way to get from Gatwick to Heathrow? The BA
representative suggested taking the Speed Link bus? Is that best?
He said it takes an hour and a quarter. Is it usually on time or
is he being optimistic?

How often does it run? How much does it cost? Can we pay on the
bus, or do we need to buy tickets first? Can we pay by credit
card? If not, what currencies do they accept, besides pounds?
Dollars? Euros?

Or if you recommend a different mode of transport, please answer
all the same questions about it.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

National Express which is the largest coach/bus operator in UK has an
airport service linking Gatwick to Heathrow which is an alternative to SPEED
LINK. It used to be known as JET LINK but is now called NATIONAL EXPRESS
AIRPORT presumably to distinguish it from SPEED LINK. The bus information
is at the National Express website and this should give the times etc from
Gatwick http://www.nationalexpress.com/p.cfm?n=pai-gtw
Frequent buses and I think they are a bit cheaper than Speed Link. At
Heathrow, I think it stops at the central bus station which is then a walk
using the underground walkways to the terminals. Not too difficult unless
you have loads of luggage which of course you shouldn't have !!!

Old August 8th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Ken Blake

In ,
Johan typed:

This is something that sucks big time. I never travel with
British
Airways anymore just for that. I thought it was something like
60
pounds (no idea how many $ that is) They refuse Euro's so you
have to
exchange dollars witch cost money too. It's one big rip off,
takes
forever to get from one airport to the other and you're plain
exhausted because you have to carry you're whole household on
that
bus. If you think you will enjoy the trip, well forget it.
There's
nothing to see besides car's driving on the wrong side of the
road.
Never in my whole life again.

Well, I'm not doing it because I don't expect to enjoy it. I just
want to get from one airport to the another, as quickly, as
comfortably, and as cheaply as possible.

I'm flying BA because it by far had the best price when I booked
it. I'll suffer the slight inconvenience of the connecting ride
to save several hundred dollars.

Old August 8th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Ken Blake

In news:B9gRc.226201$IQ4.55073@attbi_s02,
John Vittoe typed:

"Johan" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, John. I knew the regular price was 17£, but didn't know
there was a senior discount. I'll be sure to ask for it.

Do you know if we can pay on the bus, or do we have to get
tickets in the station?

That's $30 US
or $22 each. They take credit cards so that is the best way to
pay.

If we can pay on the bus, can we pay by CC there, or does using
plastic mean you have to buy a ticket in the station?