Seeking some GOOD advice...NCL

Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:41 AM
Len C.

Default Seeking some GOOD advice...NCL

Hi, looking for some professional advice regarding a cruise I currently
have on hold for November 19-27 over the Thanksgiving holiday. It will
be on the Norwegian Spirit from New York to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, &
Kings Wharf, Bermuda. No so concerned about the ports since have been to
them, however I am more concerned over NCL and this ship?

Have nine cruises behind me, but all have been either Royal Caribbean or
Carnival. I don't know anything about NCL? Seems that $1,155 p/p for an
eight day cruise is not a bad deal? What do you posters think? This
would be a standard ocean view (not balcony) GTY with a possible
upgrade.

Any advice before I shell out any money would be greatly appreciated!

Len...

Old August 3rd, 2005, 01:53 AM
Charles

In article , Len C.
wrote:

Have nine cruises behind me, but all have been either Royal Caribbean or
Carnival. I don't know anything about NCL? Seems that $1,155 p/p for an
eight day cruise is not a bad deal? What do you posters think? This
would be a standard ocean view (not balcony) GTY with a possible
upgrade.

I guess since it is over a holiday it may not be a bad deal. Otherwise
I would call 1,155 per person of an outside GTY a poor deal.

--
Charles
Old August 3rd, 2005, 01:55 AM
dh

"Len C." wrote in message
Hi, looking for some professional advice regarding a cruise I currently
have on hold for November 19-27 over the Thanksgiving holiday. It will
be on the Norwegian Spirit from New York to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, &
Kings Wharf, Bermuda. No so concerned about the ports since have been to
them, however I am more concerned over NCL and this ship?

Have nine cruises behind me, but all have been either Royal Caribbean or
Carnival. I don't know anything about NCL? Seems that $1,155 p/p for an
eight day cruise is not a bad deal? What do you posters think? This
would be a standard ocean view (not balcony) GTY with a possible
upgrade.

Any advice before I shell out any money would be greatly appreciated!

Len...

We took a cruise on the NCL Sun last year and were very pleased with it.
However, we had not cruised before, so our standards may be lower than
yours.

Most of the waitstaff was friendly and attentive. Some were outstanding.
On lamb chop night, the waiter came back to our table the instant I had
inhaled my lamb chops and offered me more. He could see that I was clearly
conflicted over this (lamb - chops - delicious - but - must - not - over -
eat) and waited, smiling patiently, until I caved and said, "yes, that would
be very nice." Second desserts? No problem. Order several desserts at
once? No problem. We did not try the room service.

The Jean Ann Ryan company show we saw was pretty good ("A Tribute to Cameron
Mackintosh"). A nit - I'm 6'4" and the chairs in the theater balcony were
not comfortable for me.

The show on the last night of the cruise was pretty poor (a very mediocre
comic, a very mediocre singer and a magician you wouldn't hire for a
children's party).

The food was pretty good, not 5-star but still pretty good. Well, lamb chop
night was 5-star. We stuck to the main dining rooms, the food was good
enough that we didn't see the need to go to the specialty dining rooms.

The ship was well kept and in good condition. The decor and trim were nice.

We were on deck 4 way forward and docking and anchoring maneuvers were noisy
up there and woke us up. Grumble

Plenty of treadmills in the exercise room.

Not much on the TV. That's OK.

We don't drink much, the couiple of drinks I had were reasonably priced and
of good quality.

Our cabin bathroom was adequate and never smelled. The public space
restrooms were always clean..

They had some interesting talks available on board, history of the Caribbean
and so forth.

The forward lounge acts were good.

My wife thought the Cruise Director, Colin somebody was very entertaining.
He MAY have moved on to another ship.

I really liked the ship layout. I particularly liked the fact that the
walking track went all the way around the ship at deck 6, so each lap is
more than a quarter mile. I like to walk for exercise. The one thing they
could add that I would appreciate would be a nice, relaxed piano bar with an
ocean view. The mid-ships, deck 6 bar has a window nearby but it's part of
the photo gallery and they put a rack of pictures in front of it. I think
the deck 11 (or 12) sports bar might be OK for bar-with-a-view but I had
trouble going in there and sitting down for a drink with all the TVs on.
When I walked through it, it did seem pretty quiet.

The beds were comfortable but they were twin beds. If you were hoping for
something more, er, companionable, you should check and see what your
options are.

Embarkation/disembarkation went OK.

Getting to and from the various ports via tenders went OK. I think the new
itinerary gives you more in-port time than we had. We left from Miami, went
to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize City and Cozumel and didn't stay in any one
of these ports very late. I think, but am not sure, that the new itinierary
may give you more time in some ports. I would have liked to stay in some
ports a bit longer.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:29 AM
number6

Len C. wrote:
Hi, looking for some professional advice regarding a cruise I currently
have on hold for November 19-27 over the Thanksgiving holiday. It will
be on the Norwegian Spirit from New York to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, &
Kings Wharf, Bermuda. No so concerned about the ports since have been to
them, however I am more concerned over NCL and this ship?

Have nine cruises behind me, but all have been either Royal Caribbean or
Carnival. I don't know anything about NCL? Seems that $1,155 p/p for an
eight day cruise is not a bad deal? What do you posters think? This
would be a standard ocean view (not balcony) GTY with a possible
upgrade.

Any advice before I shell out any money would be greatly appreciated!

Len...

The price is about right leaving NY over a holiday ... Both those add
to the cost ...

Personally, I love NCL ... The atmosphere is basically one of
relaxation ... Not a lot of activities ... not a lot of partying ...
but relaxation comes easily ... Freestyle is also fine with us ...
though some like having the same waiters and tablemates ... that's
missing ... but food,service, entertainment were all up to expectations
.... My only complaint was that there were not that many selections for
dinner ... The alternate dining with or without cover are all fine
giving alternatives to that lack of selection ... nicer ambiance
usually well worth the cover ...

We were on the Spirit last year ... originally a far eastern ship
....which NCL brought here when they had that sinking on their ship
being built ... They had to make some changes for western culture ...
but it is a wonderful ship ... Never seemed crowded ... plenty of
lounges and public areas ... the viewing lounge forward top deck is one
one the most relaxing inside areas I've had on any ship ... Good for
the cooler trip out and returning ... On the Alaskan Cruise ... great
viewing for whales ...

Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:32 AM
mrtravel

Charles wrote:

In article , Len C.
wrote:

Have nine cruises behind me, but all have been either Royal Caribbean or
Carnival. I don't know anything about NCL? Seems that $1,155 p/p for an
eight day cruise is not a bad deal? What do you posters think? This
would be a standard ocean view (not balcony) GTY with a possible
upgrade.

I guess since it is over a holiday it may not be a bad deal. Otherwise
I would call 1,155 per person of an outside GTY a poor deal.

Well, it is 8 days instead of 7.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 03:08 AM
Len C.

Thanks ALL for your input. I am skeptical over the 'freestyle'
dining...I have always liked having a set dining time and table, this
may be something new to explore! Either will love or hate it! I did end
up speaking to a rep at NCL and she was very pleasant and helpful. IF I
do decide to go ahead with the booking she talked me into doing a
balcony. I have had inside, ocean view and balconies, and naturally who
wouldn't pick the balcony over the others! For the $300 or so more mine
as well go for the best eh? I guess once we clear the COLD temps of New
York and get closer to the Caribbean the balcony will become more
inviting!

Len...

Old August 3rd, 2005, 03:15 AM
Charles

In article , mrtravel
wrote:

Well, it is 8 days instead of 7.

I have been on an eight day, a ten day and three eleven day cruises and
I have never paid a rate as high as 1,155 per person even for the
eleven day cruises. But I have never gone on a holiday week or priced a
holiday week because I can't get off work holiday weeks so I won't say
it is a bad deal but if that price is normal for an outside cabin for a
holiday sailing it is just as well that I can't.

--
Charles
Old August 3rd, 2005, 03:26 AM
Charles

In article , Len C.
wrote:

I did end up speaking to a rep at NCL and she was very pleasant and
helpful. IF I do decide to go ahead with the booking she talked me
into doing a balcony.

I suggest you get some quotes from travel agents.

--
Charles
Old August 3rd, 2005, 04:05 AM
How B

Charles wrote:
In article , Len C.
wrote:

I did end up speaking to a rep at NCL and she was very pleasant and
helpful. IF I do decide to go ahead with the booking she talked me
into doing a balcony.

I suggest you get some quotes from travel agents.

Good advice from Charles, Len--for example, i-cruise.com (picking a web
agency at random) has balcony cabins for that cruise listed as low as $949.

How B

Old August 3rd, 2005, 04:36 AM
Warren

How B wrote:
Good advice from Charles, Len--for example, i-cruise.com (picking a web
agency at random) has balcony cabins for that cruise listed as low as $949.

The taxes/fees sailing out of NYC add another $2-250. If you continued
with the booking you would have seen the price jump to around what Len
quoted. I did the same using bestpricecruises. The base fares are
actually quite low.

Warren