Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

Old May 24th, 2006, 08:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

Gregory Morrow wrote:
Jordi wrote:

In terms of available income, the figure will be very similar to that
of the US, and, believe it or not, it is more evenly distributed _among
Saudi citizens_

Yeah, but being a MUSLIM is rather a prerequisite for receiving all this
largesse...

Not only muslim, but Saudi citizen. Most foreign workers in SA are
muslim, too and are treated equally bad (well, not equally, non-muslim
foreign workers have their work permit in mauve colour, while muslims
have it green, this way the muttawaa can easily tell if you're missing
your prayers or not).

Needless to say, there are not non-muslim Saudi citizens.

J.

Old May 24th, 2006, 09:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Bert Hyman

I lay all of Africa and the middle east, most of Asia and a good
chunk of South America on Europe's door step.

then you should start thinking about US actions in south America,
rather than ignoring more recent history in favour of cosily
blaming the worlds ills on the empire building of earlier
centuries.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

The Reid wrote:
Following up to Bert Hyman

I lay all of Africa and the middle east, most of Asia and a good
chunk of South America on Europe's door step.

then you should start thinking about US actions in south America,
rather than ignoring more recent history in favour of cosily
blaming the worlds ills on the empire building of earlier
centuries.

S America, SE Asia, where shall we stop?

And as for Africa and the ME, are the situations there due to European
empires, or to post-empire meddling, such as US support for UNITA in
the Angolan civil war (to mention just one example).

Mr B;

Old May 24th, 2006, 10:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

The Reid wrote:
Following up to Bert Hyman

I lay all of Africa and the middle east, most of Asia and a good
chunk of South America on Europe's door step.

then you should start thinking about US actions in south America,
rather than ignoring more recent history in favour of cosily
blaming the worlds ills on the empire building of earlier
centuries.

S America, SE Asia, where shall we stop?

And as for Africa and the ME, are the situations there due to European
empires, or to post-empire meddling, such as US support for UNITA in
the Angolan civil war (to mention just one example).

I don't see why it can't be both. I think it's safe to say that both
Europe and the US have a lot of blame to share. Sure, a lot of European
countries have tended to follow more progressive paths post-WWII, but
there's still a lot of **** there. I watched Michael Moore's "Bowling
for Columbine" last night which had, among other things, footage of the
British atrocities in India, and the French in Algeria.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Miss L. Toe writes:

US averages are more misleading than most, especially as Bill Gates has

as
much wealth as the poorest 47% of americans COMBINED.

That would give the poorest 47% of Americans a per capita wealth of
less than $400, which is obviously not the case.

Surely that depends on how you define wealth.
If you use assets minus debts then I dont see why it is obviously not the
case.

Old May 24th, 2006, 11:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Miss L. Toe writes:

I cant find the recent source where I spotted that but:

http://www.commondreams.org/pressrel...98/072798a.htm

and :
" Microsoft CEO Bill Gates has more wealth than the bottom 45 percent of
American households combined. "

http://www.cooperativeindividualism....ution1999.html

Also along a similar vein:

"In 1999, three men - Bill Gates, Paul Allen, and Warren Buffet - had a

net
worth greater than the combined GDP of the 41 poorest nations and their

550
million people. "

http://www.foodrevolution.org/havenot.htm

If just citing a Web site counts, here's proof that I'm right:

http://www.mxsmanic.com/proof.html

I was asked for a source - not for proof.

(Have I ever said you were wrong ?)

Old May 24th, 2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of
the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote
in news:1hfu6hp.p7s8w61io0cqdN%this_address_is_for_sp :

wrote:

The Reid wrote:
[...]

The post-war actions of the US around the world were driven by the
short-sighted "enemy of my enemy is my friend" theory, which led us
to support any tin-pot dictator who would claim to be anti-Communist,
and we'd cheerfully ignore the most terrible actions of these guys so
long as they'd allow our military to operate out of their
territories.

That said, we did simply use the totalitarian or authoiritarian
systems we found, although we'd sometimes arrange for a leadership
change if it suited our purposes.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Old May 24th, 2006, 02:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On Tue, 23 May 2006 22:48:00 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Miss L. Toe writes:

I cant find the recent source where I spotted that but:

http://www.commondreams.org/pressrel...98/072798a.htm

and :
" Microsoft CEO Bill Gates has more wealth than the bottom 45 percent of
American households combined. "

http://www.cooperativeindividualism....ution1999.html

Also along a similar vein:

"In 1999, three men - Bill Gates, Paul Allen, and Warren Buffet - had a net
worth greater than the combined GDP of the 41 poorest nations and their 550
million people. "

http://www.foodrevolution.org/havenot.htm

If just citing a Web site counts, here's proof that I'm right:

http://www.mxsmanic.com/proof.html

You're a real winner, Mixi.

You're 'n' key is sticking again DFM- and the 'h' isn't doing too well
either!

Old May 24th, 2006, 02:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

Miss L. Toe writes:

I cant find the recent source where I spotted that but:

http://www.commondreams.org/pressrel...98/072798a.htm

and :
" Microsoft CEO Bill Gates has more wealth than the bottom 45 percent of
American households combined. "

http://www.cooperativeindividualism....ution1999.html

Also along a similar vein:

"In 1999, three men - Bill Gates, Paul Allen, and Warren Buffet - had a net
worth greater than the combined GDP of the 41 poorest nations and their 550
million people. "

http://www.foodrevolution.org/havenot.htm

If just citing a Web site counts, here's proof that I'm right:

http://www.mxsmanic.com/proof.html

You're a real winner, Mixi.

You're 'n' key is sticking again DFM- and the 'h' isn't doing too well
either!

Or else the "k" needs some attention!

Mr B;

ObMadge: You're - Your

Old May 24th, 2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Bert Hyman

That said, we did simply use the totalitarian or authoiritarian
systems we found, although we'd sometimes arrange for a leadership
change if it suited our purposes.

or collude in the overthrow of elected leaders