HAL Rotterdam - Digital Pictures

Old December 29th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Bill Bradley

Default HAL Rotterdam - Digital Pictures

Can anyone tell what options we have aboard the HAL Rotterdam to upload
digital pictures using their Internet Cafe? I am sure that they would
create a CD for me for a price and then I could probably upload them that
way, however I would prefer another solution (short of buying a laptop),

Bill

Old December 29th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Plasma

Consider the following:
1. Most Internet Cafes, cruise ships included, provide a fixed set of
programs and accessable features. They do not allow you to connect the
additional hardware and/or software necessary to do an upload.
2. Most cruise ships have a slow internet connection. Sending a photo of
a few hundred KBytes would take forever at $0.50-$0.75 per minute.
3. Several ships now have a photo department capable of reading your
memory "stick" and recording a CD. If available, this would be cheaper than
just paying the Internet access.
4. But assuming the Rotterdam does not have such a facility, your best
bet would be to take extra memory cards or "sticks" with you. I recently
bought a 128MB SD card for $40. That provides storage for about 140 photos,
the equal to 6 rolls of conventional film.

Mike in Dayton

Old December 30th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Val Kraut

Bill
When we were on Rotterdam last spring we talked to one of the
photographers about how they handled photos. Rotterdam at that point wasn't
digital yet. One of the women on the cruise made a deal with one of the crew
or passengers to store her photos each day on their personnal computer and
make her a CD at the end. She had a new camera with one memory card. But I
don't think this is a standard service you can count on. We were out 18
days - I took 3 256 meg cards for my new camera and 4 32 meg cards for my
older smaller camera. Took over a 1,000 pictures. Electrons are cheap once
you own the cards and you can be a little less cautious of what all you
shoot - as opposed to film. Given the hassle of a laptop plus cost versus
cards, I think more crads is a good investment. The other thought is getting
a card damaged in X-ray or what ever versus having made duplicate CDs on a
laptop which are almost indestructable.

Val Kraut