London Info Request

Old December 15th, 2008, 11:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
MLD

Default London Info Request

Plan on visiting London this Spring and am trying to figure out just how
much time would be needed to cover all the typical sights. Also, what part
of the city would be the best/most convenient to stay in?
MLD

Old December 16th, 2008, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tamzen Cannoy[_2_]

In article , "MLD"
wrote:

Plan on visiting London this Spring and am trying to figure out just how
much time would be needed to cover all the typical sights. Also, what part
of the city would be the best/most convenient to stay in?
MLD

What do you consider the typical sights? I can spend days in both the
British Museum and the V&A.

I prefer staying in Mayfair but it's pricy there. I like being able to
walk to or from the theatre area, the superb restaurants and all the
major shopping, but the Tube is fine for getting around if you want to
stay further out. We're there often enough we have Oyster cards we just
keep and use each time.
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Rog'

"Tamzen Cannoy" wrote:
What do you consider the typical sights? I can spend days in
both the British Museum and the V&A.
I prefer staying in Mayfair but it's pricy there. I like being able
to walk to or from the theatre area, the superb restaurants and
all the major shopping, but the Tube is fine for getting around
if you want to stay further out. We're there often enough we
have Oyster cards we just keep and use each time.

We have tickets to see Eric Clapton at the Albert Hall in May.
We rented a flat for five days within walking distance in South
Kensington (Egerton Gardens). Any thoughts on that area?
Looks like we'll be using the Tube a bit.

Old December 16th, 2008, 01:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

Plan on visiting London this Spring and am trying to figure out just
how much time would be needed to cover all the typical sights. Also,
what part of the city would be the best/most convenient to stay in?

I prefer staying in Mayfair but it's pricy there.

Can you still use the Monopoly board as a price guide?

In which case, try Whitechapel or the Old Kent Road.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman

On 15 Dec, 23:28, "MLD" wrote:
Plan on visiting London this Spring and am trying to figure out just how
much time would be needed to cover all the typical sights. *Also, what part
of the city would be the best/most convenient to stay in?
MLD

You can 'do' the major sights in a couple of hours on an organised
tourist trip on the top of a double-decker.
If you're new to London this is recommended whatever you get up to
afterwards.

Surreyman
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Surreyman" wrote in message
On 15 Dec, 23:28, "MLD" wrote:
Plan on visiting London this Spring and am trying to figure out just how
much time would be needed to cover all the typical sights. Also, what part
of the city would be the best/most convenient to stay in?
MLD

You can 'do' the major sights in a couple of hours on an organised
tourist trip on the top of a double-decker.
If you're new to London this is recommended whatever you get up to
afterwards.

I don't agree, IMHO these tours are always overpriced and London is no
exception.

They might be worth doing if this is someone is doing in London, but if they
are spending 4/5 days (or more) travelling around on the buses you will get
to see everything at a fraction of the price.

to the OP. This is the minimum that you want to spend, and that's without
spending time in museums. You could easily find things to do for 15 days of
more

tim

Old December 17th, 2008, 12:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
MLD

Default Follow Up-- London Info Request--

"tim....." wrote in message

"Surreyman" wrote in message
On 15 Dec, 23:28, "MLD" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the feedback, this is just the type of information that I was
looking for. We're not for the booked tours--too fast, not flexible in the
time at various locations and invariably you get dumped in a gift shop and
the time there is almost equivalent to the what you're allowed at the sight
you're visiting. I'm trying to estimate the timing in order to book both
ends of my flights.
Other info that I'd like to get--at the end of London we are planning on
heading to "Orrell, Wigan"??? to visit some people. I understand that there
is a train that we can take that will get us there, or as an alternative,
can fly into Manchester. Any idea of just how taking the train would make
out (carrying our luggage and all)? The Cost? We have to come back to London
and fly home from there so I'm trying to figure out the logistics involved.
Even thinking of taking the train to Orrell and then flying back from
Manchester to Heathrow. Any comments would be appreciated.
MLD

Old December 17th, 2008, 10:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alex[_10_]

"tim....." wrote:

They might be worth doing if this is someone is doing in London, but if they
are spending 4/5 days (or more) travelling around on the buses you will get
to see everything at a fraction of the price.

I might be inclined to take that yellow landing craft, the "duck tour"
I think, as a starter
--
Alex01
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*---

I don't agree, IMHO these tours are always overpriced and London is no
exception.

They might be worth doing if this is someone is doing in London, but if they
are spending 4/5 days (or more) travelling around on the buses you will get
to see everything at a fraction of the price.

to the OP. *This is the minimum that you want to spend, and that's without
spending time in museums. *You could easily find things to do for 15 days of
more

tim

Around £15? Exorbitant??!!
On the normal buses you don't get the major sights all conveniently
'packaged'. It would take hours to cover using normal routes (and
queuing each time!), and you'd be inside the (probably very crowded)
bus and hardly see a thing.
And the driver certainly wouldn't give you a detailed running
commentary!
I'm a (near) Londoner, have often introduced London to overseas
friends, and these tours remain by far the best 'instant' introduction
for a newcomer, whatever preferences are then followed up in more
detail.

Surreyman
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alex[_10_]

Surreyman wrote:

Around £15? Exorbitant??!!

did you misread?

I'm a (near) Londoner, have often introduced London to overseas
friends, and these tours remain by far the best 'instant' introduction
for a newcomer, whatever preferences are then followed up in more
detail.

we took NZ friends to Greenwich, showed them that, then took a boat
into centre and walked about, misses all that traffic.