FLA trip advice

Old January 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default FLA trip advice

Driving this route - anything along the way that you'd recommend that I "not
miss".
Mainly doing the drive for sightseeing - get out of the cold for a week

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...44,7.03125&z=7

Old January 16th, 2009, 01:52 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark[_13_]

I dunno when you're going, or if you'll be getting away from much cold. Per
the NWS it looks like it will be pretty cold most of your route right now:

A HARD FREEZE WATCH IN EFFECT ON FRIDAY NIGHT FOR ALL OF
SOUTHEAST ALABAMA...SOUTHWEST AND SOUTH CENTRAL GEORGIA...AND THE
FLORIDA BIG BEND AND PANHANDLE...

That said, we've spent a few vacations at Gulf Shores AL and seeing the Blue
Angles practice at Pensacola has been fun and interesting. Not sure if they
practice year round.

Old January 18th, 2009, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Chinese Bicycle Guy

On Jan 15, 2:45*pm, "- Bobb -" wrote:
Driving this route - anything along the way that you'd recommend that I "not
miss".
Mainly doing the drive for sightseeing - get out of the cold for a week

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...+head,+sc&dadd...

In Gainesville, stop at the Devil's Millhopper.

"http://www.floridastateparks.org/devilsmillhopper/"

Old January 18th, 2009, 01:36 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Chinese Bicycle Guy

On Jan 15, 2:45*pm, "- Bobb -" wrote:
Driving this route - anything along the way that you'd recommend that I "not
miss".
Mainly doing the drive for sightseeing - get out of the cold for a week

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...+head,+sc&dadd...

In Gainesville, stop at the Devil's Millhopper, "http://
www.floridastateparks.org/devilsmillhopper/"

I would recommend that you take 441 from Gainesville to Ocala, rather
than I-75. You can stop at Paynes Prairie, "http://
www.floridastateparks.org/paynesprairie/" and drive through some of
the old towns between Gainesville and Ocala. In Ocala, visit Silver
Springs.

In Gainesville eat at Satchell's Pizza, "http://
www.satchelspizza.com/".
Old January 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

Bobb -" wrote:
In Gainesville, stop at the Devil's Millhopper,
www.floridastateparks.org/devilsmillhopper/
I would recommend that you take 441 from Gainesville to
Ocala, rather than I-75. You can stop at Paynes Prairie,
www.floridastateparks.org/paynesprairie/
and drive through some of the old towns between Gainesville
and Ocala. In Ocala, visit Silver Springs.
In Gainesville eat at Satchell's Pizza, www.satchelspizza.com/

--------------------
And visit the University of Florida and its stadium to pay homage
to the NCAA National Champions in football (2x in three years).
Also stop in at the Museum of Natural History which features an
indoor cave. http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/

Old January 18th, 2009, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Rog' wrote:

And visit the University of Florida and its stadium to pay homage
to the NCAA National Champions in football (2x in three years).
Also stop in at the Museum of Natural History which features an
indoor cave. http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/

It goes without saying that everyone driving through Gainesville must
stop and pay homage to the Gators. Duh.

Yes, the museum is an excellent suggestion, including the butterfly
exhibit. The museum is free, but the butterfly exhibit isn't. Also, if
in Gainesville at dusk, going over to where the bat house is on campus
is pretty cool as the bats come out.

Also check out Century Tower on campus. I did my part to ensure that no
bricks fell off.

Old January 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"SMS" wrote in message
Rog' wrote:

And visit the University of Florida and its stadium to pay homage
to the NCAA National Champions in football (2x in three years).
Also stop in at the Museum of Natural History which features an
indoor cave. http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/

It goes without saying that everyone driving through Gainesville must stop
and pay homage to the Gators. Duh.

Yes, the museum is an excellent suggestion, including the butterfly
exhibit. The museum is free, but the butterfly exhibit isn't. Also, if in
Gainesville at dusk, going over to where the bat house is on campus is
pretty cool as the bats come out.

Also check out Century Tower on campus. I did my part to ensure that no
bricks fell off.

Thanks for the ideas folks.
I still haven't left. It was snowing in the Carolinas, just 35 in Hilton
Head Island, SC and 24degrees in Tallahassee the other day, so waiting
maybe another week to enjoy it more.

Old March 11th, 2009, 04:59 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
Driving this route - anything along the way that you'd recommend that I
"not miss".
Mainly doing the drive for sightseeing - get out of the cold for a week

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...44,7.03125&z=7

turned out to be for more than a week:
I just got back - 6800 miles - from Boston to Flamingo FLA and back - info
to follow. ( week or so)

Old March 11th, 2009, 01:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"- Bobb -" wrote:
turned out to be for more than a week:
I just got back - 6800 miles - from Boston to Flamingo FLA and back
- info to follow. ( week or so)

Wow. That is one long trip. Please do share the highlights!