Good cabins in or near Moab? Getting to Arches and Canyonlands

Old March 30th, 2009, 01:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
mike

Default Good cabins in or near Moab? Getting to Arches and Canyonlands

I'm looking for cabins to stay in or near Moab. Seems like most of the
hotels and motels in the area are overpriced dumps.

Both KOA cabins in Moab and the ones at Canyonlands Campground are
booked for the weekend I'm interested in. Can anyone recommend others,
either in Moab or less than 30 minutes away?

There's a KOA in Green River, UT, but that's about an hour away. I've
read that KOA campgrounds are "family oriented" and in general clean /
a good value; looking for relative quietness / getting away from party
crowds.

Are there other towns near Moab (in any direction) I should be looking
at?

Thanks.

Mike
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"mike" wrote in message
I'm looking for cabins to stay in or near Moab. Seems like most of the
hotels and motels in the area are overpriced dumps.

Both KOA cabins in Moab and the ones at Canyonlands Campground are
booked for the weekend I'm interested in. Can anyone recommend others,
either in Moab or less than 30 minutes away?

There's a KOA in Green River, UT, but that's about an hour away. I've
read that KOA campgrounds are "family oriented" and in general clean /
a good value; looking for relative quietness / getting away from party
crowds.

Are there other towns near Moab (in any direction) I should be looking
at?

The state campground at Green River is marvelous. Yes, it is an hour away.
But very, very nice. The only downside is that it is also very, very
popular especially on school holidays.

Old April 1st, 2009, 08:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
mike

On Mar 29, 8:37*pm, "Lawrence Akutagawa"
wrote:
The state campground at Green River is marvelous. *Yes, it is an hour away.
But very, very nice. * The only downside is that it is also very, very
popular especially on school holidays.

Thanks Lawrence. What's the drive like from Green River to Arches /
Canyonlands. Seems a pain to stay so far away, but cost is an issue.
When a Motel 6 in Moab costs USD $150/night, something's seriously
wrong...

Mike

Old April 1st, 2009, 09:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

wrote:
The state campground at Green River is marvelous. Yes, it is an hour away.
But very, very nice. The only downside is that it is also very, very
popular especially on school holidays.

Thanks Lawrence. What's the drive like from Green River to Arches /
Canyonlands. Seems a pain to stay so far away, but cost is an issue.
When a Motel 6 in Moab costs USD $150/night, something's seriously
wrong...

*********
Mike -

[chuckle] It's called supply and demand. There are folks willing to pay as
much, so they charge as much. The drive from Green River to Arches is not
bad at all. That state campground is my favorite. Hot showers and flush
toilets. The place is like setting up a tent on the lawn in front of city
hall.

If you opt for motels, check the rooms out carefully before you sign on that
dotted line. I've found the independent motels on the road away from I70 to
be better to my taste. One of the motels on the I70 side of the road had an
inoperative heater/air conditioner and a leaking (noisy!) toilet. A quick
check on the net indicates that you should be able to get a room for two for
about $50 or so....Motel 6 is asking around $45.

And if you visit around late Sept/early Oct, be advised that is melon time
in Green River. And delicious melons they are. There was/is a Ramada Inn
on the east side of Green River that had/has an "all you can eat" buffet.
The buffet is okay....I just stuffed up with different kinds of melons and
had a marvelous time doing so.

While you are in the area and time permits, stay at the campground at Dead
Horse Point as well. No showers and limited water (they have to truck in
the water). But especially if you are into photography, the views are
awesome, particularly at sunset and sunrise.

I have tried the campground at Arches, appearing as early as 7:00 in the
morning only to find a long line of folks ahead of me. By the time I got to
the head of the line, all sites were taken. Reservations can be made at
www.recreation.gov as per http://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/camping.htm
.. Flush toilets, no showers. As noted, the park itself does not accept
reservations.

The nice thing about Green River is that it is also about as close to Goblin
Valley, Littel Wild Horse Canyon, and Bell Canyon in the other direction.
If visiting the latter two, make sure you check the weather report. Those
slot canyons can be deadly in the wrong circumstances.

Old April 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
mike

On Apr 1, 4:26*am, "Lawrence Akutagawa"
wrote:
The nice thing about Green River is that it is also about as close to Goblin
Valley, Littel Wild Horse Canyon, and Bell Canyon in the other direction.
If visiting the latter two, make sure you check the weather report. *Those
slot canyons can be deadly in the wrong circumstances.

Thanks again Lawrence.