Non-4WD accessible ghost towns / mines between Colorado Springs orMoab?

Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
mike

Default Non-4WD accessible ghost towns / mines between Colorado Springs orMoab?

Are there any interesting ghost towns accessible by a non-4WD vehicle
between Colorado Springs and Moab?

Looks like there's one called St. Elmo's near Gunnison if I take the
southern route out of Colorado Springs to ultimately get to Moab.
Anything else on that route?

What about going from Colorado Springs to Denver to Grand Junction to
Moab? Any good accessible ghost towns or mines along that route which
don't require a Jeep / 4WD vehicle?

Thanks.

Mike
Old April 4th, 2009, 04:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"mike" wrote in message
Are there any interesting ghost towns accessible by a non-4WD vehicle
between Colorado Springs and Moab?

Looks like there's one called St. Elmo's near Gunnison if I take the
southern route out of Colorado Springs to ultimately get to Moab.
Anything else on that route?

What about going from Colorado Springs to Denver to Grand Junction to
Moab? Any good accessible ghost towns or mines along that route which
don't require a Jeep / 4WD vehicle?

There are several in and around Gunnison County such as Floresta, Ohio City,
Almont and near Crested Butte. When you get to Gunnison you should be able
to get a map with more details. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website view over 3,600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI, and

Old April 4th, 2009, 01:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
mike

There are several in and around Gunnison County such as Floresta, Ohio City,
Almont and near Crested Butte. *When you get to Gunnison you should be able
to get a map with more details. *KM

Thanks, I'll investigate those. Know of any heading toward Denver,
then west to Grand Junction on to Moab?

MIke
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"mike" wrote in message
There are several in and around Gunnison County such as Floresta, Ohio
City,
Almont and near Crested Butte. When you get to Gunnison you should be
able
to get a map with more details. KM

Thanks, I'll investigate those. Know of any heading toward
Denver, then west to Grand Junction on to Moab?

No, not really. I lived in Gunnison for five years and visited ghost towns
in the area with a geologist friend of mine. We would go to the County
Courthouse and get the old plats of ghost towns and then go searching for
gold coins that had slipped through the floorboards of old taverns. In the
1800s taverns intentionally left a quarter to half inch space between
floorboards to make sweeping the floor very easy. And many drunks in the
taverns dropped their gold and silver coins on the floor which eventually
slipped through the cracks. We made enough money retrieving old gold and
silver coins to pay our way through college. Dunno if they had metal
detectors in those days (60s), but, if we'd have had them we'd probably have
gotten richer! KM