Crew socks that dry quickly--e.g. for washing in a sink

Old September 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mike

Default Crew socks that dry quickly--e.g. for washing in a sink

What brand of socks can I buy (U.S.) that will dry quicker than
regular 100% cotton "crew socks (go up to somewhere between the ankle
and the knee".

Will be washing socks in sinks, and the cotton ones take forever to
dry. But I dislike "dress socks" (would be thinner) and hiking socks
(too bulky for packing).

Any advice on materials or specific brands? Preferably something I can
buy at a U.S. retail store like Dick's Sporting Goods, REI, Walmart,
Target, or other chain stores.

Thanks very much.

Mike
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

What brand of socks can I buy (U.S.) that will dry quicker than
regular 100% cotton "crew socks [...]
Will be washing socks in sinks, and the cotton ones take forever
to dry. But I dislike "dress socks" (would be thinner) and hiking
socks (too bulky for packing).

I wear sandals with no socks almost all year round. Means I get
to learn the phrase for "where have your socks got to?" in a LOT
of European languages.

Another option is something I once heard the lead singer from
Zodiac Mindwarp describe - "I just wear my socks till they get
crispy and throw them away".

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mike

On Sep 9, 9:36*am, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:
I wear sandals with no socks almost all year round. *Means I get
to learn the phrase for "where have your socks got to?" in a LOT
of European languages.

Heh. :-) Well, that's an option but not for me. I do love sandals but
not in the rain or cold. A cousin of mine wears shorts year-round,
despite long cold winters. So to each his or her own. Not sure I'm
wanting to wear sandals in late Sept / early October Parisian
evenings--and elsewhere.

Another option is something I once heard the lead singer from
Zodiac Mindwarp describe - "I just wear my socks till they get
crispy and throw them away".

It is indeed a good technique to bring along clothes so far gone that
you're about ready to dispose of them anyway.
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_4_]

"mike" wrote in message
What brand of socks can I buy (U.S.) that will dry quicker than
regular 100% cotton "crew socks (go up to somewhere between the ankle
and the knee".

Will be washing socks in sinks, and the cotton ones take forever to
dry. But I dislike "dress socks" (would be thinner) and hiking socks
(too bulky for packing).

Any advice on materials or specific brands? Preferably something I can
buy at a U.S. retail store like Dick's Sporting Goods, REI, Walmart,
Target, or other chain stores.

Tilley Endurable socks are available in the USA.
http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?gen...d uctNo=TA800
--
JohnT

Old September 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mike

On Sep 9, 10:45*am, "JohnT" wrote:
Tilley Endurable socks are available in the USA.http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?gen...egoryId&id=2&p...
--
JohnT

Thanks John. Will check it out, but am leaving in a few days--and cost
is always an issue. Also, if I remember correctly, Tilley stuff is
outrageously priced, e.g. $100 for a simple hat? Hoping the socks
wouldn't be $15 each or some such. I know at REI and elsewhere,
microfiber wicking t-shirts are often sold for $20 to $30+. I get 'em
at Target for $10. :-)

Old September 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mike

On Sep 9, 10:45*am, "JohnT" wrote:
Tilley Endurable socks are available in the USA.http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?gen...egoryId&id=2&p...

Yup, USD $16 for a single pair. Any cheaper, but comparable,
alternatives out there?
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

wrote:
I wear sandals with no socks almost all year round. *Means I get
to learn the phrase for "where have your socks got to?" in a LOT
of European languages.

Heh. :-) Well, that's an option but not for me. I do love sandals but
not in the rain or cold. A cousin of mine wears shorts year-round,
despite long cold winters. So to each his or her own. Not sure I'm
wanting to wear sandals in late Sept / early October Parisian
evenings--and elsewhere.

Another option is something I once heard the lead singer from
Zodiac Mindwarp describe - "I just wear my socks till they get
crispy and throw them away".

It is indeed a good technique to bring along clothes so far gone that
you're about ready to dispose of them anyway.

My technique is somewhat different. I don't like to waste my vacation
time or my wife's washing clothes. We also almost always travel with
just carry-on luggage. And recognizing that new clothes take up
considerably less suitcase space that dirty wrinkled clothes, I buy
the cheapest and smallest new underwear and socks--one pair of each
for each day I'm away--and use them and throw them away each day.

This technique adds a few dollars to the total cost of the trip, but
from a percentage standpoint, it's well under an extra 1%.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mike

On Sep 9, 11:12*am, Ken Blake
wrote:
My technique is somewhat different. I don't like to waste my vacation
time or my wife's washing clothes. We also almost always travel with
just carry-on luggage. And recognizing that new clothes take up
considerably less suitcase space that dirty wrinkled clothes, I buy
the cheapest and smallest new underwear and socks--one pair of each
for each day I'm away--and use them and throw them away each day.

This technique adds a few dollars to the total cost of the trip, but
from a percentage standpoint, it's well under an extra 1%.

Thanks Ken. Interesting approach on the volume / bulk side. Definitely
something to consider. My wife and I only travel with carry-on luggage
as well, so reducing bulk in addition to weight is always a (fun to
me) challenge. Hate to throw stuff away though. I found these poly /
nylon / spandex UnderArmour crew socks for USD $20 for a 4-pack:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...7454.247 8205

Old September 9th, 2009, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mike

Here's another thread on socks at RickSteves.com:

http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/h...ifference.html
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

mike wrote:
What brand of socks can I buy (U.S.) that will dry quicker than
regular 100% cotton "crew socks (go up to somewhere between the ankle
and the knee".

Will be washing socks in sinks, and the cotton ones take forever to
dry. But I dislike "dress socks" (would be thinner) and hiking socks
(too bulky for packing).

Any advice on materials or specific brands? Preferably something I can
buy at a U.S. retail store like Dick's Sporting Goods, REI, Walmart,
Target, or other chain stores.

Thanks very much.

Mike

I don't wear socks, but most of my travel garments are knit
cotton/polyester blends, which normally dry overnight after
hand-washing. (Tip: Before hanging them over a shower-rail or towel
rack, I always wrap them in a towel for a few minutes to absorb as much
excess moisture as possible.)