Activities in the San Juan Islands

Old June 12th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Jennifer

Default Activities in the San Juan Islands

We want to take a day trip on a ferry through the San Juan Island.
Most likely we will be leaving our car in Anacortes, walking onto the
ferry, then returning to Anacortes the same day (this will be
mid-August). We'd like to get off the ferry at some point. What
island would be good to get off on? What activites are there to do?
We're not really interested in just shopping or looking in shops.
Would a whale watching trip be worth it, or can you see whales from
the ferry?

Thanks for the help.
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:24 AM
The Gourleys

Hi Jennifer,
I enjoyed Friday Harbor on San Juan Island. I left from Anacortez with a
car. The whale watch was definitely worth it. I believe we went on San Juan
Excursions, but it could have been San Juan Safaris, I don't recall. There
are a couple of resident pods that circle around the islands aand they get
you pretty close to them. If you decide to stay in Anacortes then
http://www.anacobayinn.com/ was a great place to stay about 10 minutes from
the ferry. Here is a link for more info http://www.sanjuanisland.org/ Have a
great time.

Bill

om...

Old June 15th, 2004, 09:52 AM

We did this in 96', but, we stayed overnight in Friday Harbor. We
rented a convertible when we got off the ferry and had a blast riding
around the island. Caught a pod of whales swimming near the light
house. We visited the whale museum near the Ferry. They had kyaking
that looked fun, but, we had 2 small kids with us so we had to pass.