UK accents

Old August 25th, 2005, 05:03 PM
a.spencer3

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:14:01 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

Following up to Martin

Plenty of Brits and Germans keep their boats in NL and commute to use
them.

if a Brit has his boat in Holland and he wants to commute, isn't
the boat parked on the wrong side of the channel? :-)

Holland is only 3.5 hours by ferry from Harwich and 50 minutes by air
from UK. Lots of people spend longer than that commuting in UK. There
was a woman who lectured Economics in R'dam who used to commute from
London and I worked for somebody who lectured twice a week in Paris
and commuted there.

In my younger days I used, very often, to go to the Netherlands and back for
a day's business.
On one memorable day I had a breakfast meeting in Amsterdam, a lunch meeting
in Brussels, an evening meeting in Aachen, Germany and still returned home.
Currency and linguistics had got a bit juggled, though!

Surreyman

Old August 26th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Tim Challenger

I bet you were ****ed by the end of it all ?
--
Tim C.
Old August 26th, 2005, 09:42 AM
a.spencer3

news:1125039217.a24b2577c7880235acede33c26f8487b@t eranews...

wrote:

[...]

****ed off, certainly!
It was my only visit to Aachen and I vowed to go back - some 40 years ago
now!

Surreyman

Old August 26th, 2005, 11:49 AM
a.spencer3

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

You can get cheap package trips to the Aachen Christmas Market from
UK. The Christmas Market is crap, but the cathedral is worth a visit.

And I'd go back to the restaurant (if still there) right by the cathedral.
Very 'Bavarian'. But a steak that was split horizontally several times, with
a 'sandwich' filling between each split - eggs, mushrooms, anchovies, etc.,
then sealed. Absolutely splendid and have never seen it elsewhere since.

Surreyman

Old August 26th, 2005, 11:55 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

a.spencer3 wrote:

[]
And I'd go back to the restaurant (if still there) right by the cathedral.
Very 'Bavarian'. But a steak that was split horizontally several times, with
a 'sandwich' filling between each split - eggs, mushrooms, anchovies, etc.,
then sealed. Absolutely splendid and have never seen it elsewhere since.

Anything with anchovies is divine. My mouth is watering, and it isn't
lunchtime yet!

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
photos at http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:31 AM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

wrote in message
oups.com...

we used to watch Rab C Nesbitt with the sub-titles on

I tried this once.

It didn't help. I still couldn't understand a single word
of it.

tim