Flash Earth

Old August 29th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

Default Flash Earth

http://www.flashearth.com/
--
Wyoming - Where Men Are Men... And The Sheep Are Scared
Old August 29th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Poncho Liner

"Chrissy Cruiser" wrote in message
http://www.flashearth.com/
--
Wyoming - Where Men Are Men... And The Sheep Are Scared

Nice website. I'm a paid subscriber to http://www.terraserver.com which is
the forerunner to Google maps and most other Satellite viewers. Terraserver
gives you many more options and you can even print out what you see.

The problem with satellite imagery today is that they will only allow you to
view from a set distance whereas the CIA and Pentagon types can view all the
way down to read the name tag on your uniform. For security reasons, I
suppose, they restrict the view. Also, whenever you see an area blacked
out, it's probably a classified military area not open to public viewing.
In a few years we will probably be able to tap into the 'live' satellites
and see actual live views like they have at McDill AFB, the HQ for the War
on Terror. They can sit there and view anyplace in the world in live mode
and direct weapons to specific targets, even moving ones.

Now in keeping with the policy of this newsgroup, we should be zooming in on
cruise ships. Now that would also be something to see. Charles or someone
else waving at us from the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.

Old August 29th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:49:43 GMT, Poncho Liner wrote:

"Chrissy Cruiser" wrote in message
http://www.flashearth.com/
--
Wyoming - Where Men Are Men... And The Sheep Are Scared

Nice website. I'm a paid subscriber to http://www.terraserver.com which is
the forerunner to Google maps and most other Satellite viewers. Terraserver
gives you many more options and you can even print out what you see.

Thanks and I am also a subscriber of Terraserver, they do a good job.

The problem with satellite imagery today is that they will only allow you to
view from a set distance whereas the CIA and Pentagon types can view all the
way down to read the name tag on your uniform. For security reasons, I
suppose, they restrict the view. Also, whenever you see an area blacked
out, it's probably a classified military area not open to public viewing.
In a few years we will probably be able to tap into the 'live' satellites
and see actual live views like they have at McDill AFB, the HQ for the War
on Terror. They can sit there and view anyplace in the world in live mode
and direct weapons to specific targets, even moving ones.

All is true but ime the sat system in place today is not very good at
tracking a moving target in real time terms more like a slideshow.

Now in keeping with the policy of this newsgroup, we should be zooming in on
cruise ships. Now that would also be something to see. Charles or someone
else waving at us from the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.

LOL
--
Wyoming - Where Men Are Men... And The Sheep Are Scared
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "Poncho Liner" :

"Chrissy Cruiser" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.flashearth.com/
--
[...]

I know that Terra and Google both buy their images from a number of
sources, including those outside of the US.

Despite everything you've heard, the current generation of satellites
can't get resolution better than about a foot.

Now the data they get from the Rhyolite series is something else.

Now in keeping with the policy of this newsgroup, we should be zooming in on
cruise ships. Now that would also be something to see. Charles or someone
else waving at us from the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.

--
dillon

Pain is Nature's way of saying "that was stupid"
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:08:21 GMT, Dillon Pyron wrote:

Now the data they get from the Rhyolite series is something else.

The most recent constellation is the MAGNUM series orbited in 1985, 1989
and 1990. Their 100-meter in diameter antennas make extremely low-power
emissions from earth even easier to receive. With the giant 150-to-200
meter in diameter Trumpet series currently under development, there'll be
no limit to what the NSA is capable of receiving.

I rarely hear the AQUACAPE terminology, always referred to as the Rhyolite
constellations.
--
Wyoming - Where Men Are Men... And The Sheep Are Scared