How do I not look like an American?

Old May 5th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Odysseus

Default How do I not look like an American?

I will be visiting Aruba and Curacao and would like to blend in with the
locals or at least look like I could be from Europe. What are the
mannerisms and dress which give somebody away as being American? Obviously,
as soon as I speak people will know where I am from.

Old May 5th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Jessica Simpson

What are the mannerisms and dress which
give somebody away as being American?

1) Jeans and white tennis shoes are an American thing.

2) So is bathing everyday and more particular attention to ones personal
hygiene.

3) Americans tend to dress in lighter clothes and like someone out of the
Eddie Bauer or Lands End catalogue, while British and Europeans wear clothes
more like one would find in a discotheque - tight print rayon shirts without
an undershirt are definitely Eurpopean.

4) Americans are more likely to wear shorts than Europeans.

5) Mens' bathing suits are also a dead giveaway: Americans wear trunks,
Europeans wear something that looks like a Speedo or G-string.

6) Americans tend generally to be taller and heavier than French or British,
so stoop and lose weight before you go.

7) It is true that as a rule, Americans speak louder. This last trait I
ascribe to greater natural exuberance, as well as being simply bigger and
accustomed to being in bigger yards, houses and offices.

Don't wear jeans or court shoes, don't be too particular about your hygiene,
wear clothes that are less what an American would consider classic and
instead wear more rayon and darker colors, and wear a brief swimsuit. It is
also to be remembered that the average American has twice the income of the
average European, so informal signs of prosperity as well as carrying
American dollars are likely to give you away.

Old May 5th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Ken Tough

Odysseus wrote:

I will be visiting Aruba and Curacao and would like to blend in with the
locals or at least look like I could be from Europe. What are the
mannerisms and dress which give somebody away as being American? Obviously,
as soon as I speak people will know where I am from.

Clothes:
No running shoes.
No round necked T-shirts.
No college logos.
No baseball caps.
No "fanny pack".

Manner:
Greet people before you ask them something.
Lots of please and thank-you. (No offense).

--
Ken Tough
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Lenny

"Odysseus" wrote in message

I will be visiting Aruba and Curacao and would like to blend in with

the
locals or at least look like I could be from Europe. What are the
mannerisms and dress which give somebody away as being American?

Obviously,
as soon as I speak people will know where I am from.

Well, obviously you can't say a word the entire trip. I'd suggest
learning to sign.

Either that or buy several cartons of Gauloise and smoke them like a
fiend at every opportunity while neglecting to bathe.

Old May 5th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Thomas Stalder

Jessica Simpson wrote:
2) So is bathing everyday and more particular attention to ones personal
hygiene.

You are kidding, are'nt you? ;-)

3) Americans tend to dress in lighter clothes and like someone out of the
Eddie Bauer or Lands End catalogue, while British and Europeans wear clothes
more like one would find in a discotheque - tight print rayon shirts without
an undershirt are definitely Eurpopean.

4) Americans are more likely to wear shorts than Europeans.

Have you ever been outside US?

5) Mens' bathing suits are also a dead giveaway: Americans wear trunks,
Europeans wear something that looks like a Speedo or G-string.

No, obviously not.
Well, here you see both. 70% trunks, 30% speedo.

6) Americans tend generally to be taller and heavier than French or British,
so stoop and lose weight before you go.

Hi, hi, it's getting funnier and funnier ...

7) It is true that as a rule, Americans speak louder. This last trait I
ascribe to greater natural exuberance, as well as being simply bigger and
accustomed to being in bigger yards, houses and offices.

In groups: yes. The same applies for Germans, Italians, English ...
Sometimes Swiss.

Don't wear jeans or court shoes, don't be too particular about your hygiene,
wear clothes that are less what an American would consider classic and
instead wear more rayon and darker colors, and wear a brief swimsuit. It is
also to be remembered that the average American has twice the income of the
average European,

You should update your statistical knowledge.
It's known that American use 3 times more water than a average European
(which does'nt at all mean that they are more particular about hygiene.

so informal signs of prosperity as well as carrying
American dollars are likely to give you away.

Most significant is how you pronounce. That's how I recognize Americans.
Maybe sporting shoes and clothing (like college jumpers) are different
as well.
To read Jessicas explanations just made my day! It's great humor!

Old May 5th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Miguel Cruz

Odysseus wrote:
I will be visiting Aruba and Curacao and would like to blend in with the
locals or at least look like I could be from Europe. What are the
mannerisms and dress which give somebody away as being American?
Obviously, as soon as I speak people will know where I am from.

This is as misguided waste of energy.

1) Nobody will treat you worse because they know you are American.

2) You will give yourself away in a thousand ways.

Instead, just focus on being polite and respectful of the people you
encounter, and everything will go great.

miguel
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Thomas Stalder

Miguel Cruz wrote:
This is as misguided waste of energy.

1) Nobody will treat you worse because they know you are American.

2) You will give yourself away in a thousand ways.

Instead, just focus on being polite and respectful of the people you
encounter, and everything will go great.

And, if it's really true, that Americans have a bad reputation, let you
guide by Miguels advice and things will become better for all Americans!

Old May 5th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Juliana L Holm

Thomas Stalder wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
This is as misguided waste of energy.

1) Nobody will treat you worse because they know you are American.

2) You will give yourself away in a thousand ways.

Instead, just focus on being polite and respectful of the people you
encounter, and everything will go great.

And, if it's really true, that Americans have a bad reputation, let you
guide by Miguels advice and things will become better for all Americans!

This is important. As an American who really wants to be a good citizen of
the world, I don't try to hide my Americanism, but to change the minds of
people by just being nice.

The please and thank you bit is very important. And we Americans don't do it.
I take a German class here at the Goethe Institut in Washington, and when the
teacher hands out papers, I am generally the only one who says "Danke". When
the receptionist opens the door, I am the only one that says "Danke". What is
up with that? This is rude in Europe.

Learning a few words (or
more if possible) of their language.

Generally behaving yourself.

Julie
--
Julie
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Yaofeng

Odysseus wrote in message news:yDZlc.23923$Ia6.3578626@attbi_s03...
I will be visiting Aruba and Curacao and would like to blend in with the
locals or at least look like I could be from Europe. What are the
mannerisms and dress which give somebody away as being American? Obviously,
as soon as I speak people will know where I am from.

Start a crash diet. Right now.