Velib -- can Americans use it?

Old June 29th, 2008, 11:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Velib -- can Americans use it?

Since Velib stations in Paris will not accept US credit cards, is
there any way that Americans can use Velib bicycles while in Paris? I
understand that an American might be able to use a "Navigo pass" but
the website:

https://www.navigo.fr/pages/accueil.html

is entirely in French so I can't be sure that I can obtain such a pass
or even if it's affordable.

Many thanks.
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein

In article
,
wrote:

Since Velib stations in Paris will not accept US credit cards, is
there any way that Americans can use Velib bicycles while in Paris? I
understand that an American might be able to use a "Navigo pass" but
the website:

https://www.navigo.fr/pages/accueil.html

is entirely in French so I can't be sure that I can obtain such a pass
or even if it's affordable.

http://www.velib.paris.fr/ doesn't have an English version. I'll
contact RATP tomorrow and find out what the score is, and repost to this
thread.

Y.
--
Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:15:32 -0700, paris2venice wroteÂ*:

Since Velib stations in Paris will not accept US credit cards, is there
any way that Americans can use Velib bicycles while in Paris? I
understand that an American might be able to use a "Navigo pass" but the
website:

https://www.navigo.fr/pages/accueil.html

is entirely in French so I can't be sure that I can obtain such a pass
or even if it's affordable.

Many thanks

Some tourists can actually seen riding velib.
The "other langage" (Autre langues) button is located on the upper right side of the screen.

http://www.en.velib.paris.fr/abonnem...t_courte_duree

Short-term subscription

Short-terms users can also subscribe to Vélib’. A 1-day or a 7-day Vélib’
ticket is available for purchase on the web or at any of our Vélib’
Service Points.

Obtain a short-term subscription and the first 30 minutes of each journey will be on us. At the end of the validity period, the cost of journey over 30 minutes will be deducted from your bank account together with your subscription fee. You can take out a short-term subscription agreement at any Vélib’ Service Point equipped with terminals.

** A security deposit is required for all short-term subscriptions. A 150 € bank card direct pre-authorization is necessary for this type of subscription. Failure to comply with the General Terms and Conditions of Access and Use may cause parts or the entire deposit amount thereof to be withheld by Vélib’. Total deposit amount will be forfeited if bike is not returned with in 24 hours.

(Terms and Conditions can be found in your subscription agreement, on the web, and at any of our Service Points).
General Terms and Conditions of Access and Use

http://en.parisinfo.com/shows-exhibi...er-in-paris/i-
love-summer-in-paris-sport/5507-velib-

All year round
What a great idea! You had imagined it happening, and the Paris city
authorities have put it into practice.
So for getting around the city, forget those interminable walks and put
your bulky and pollution-producing vehicle in the garage...

....from 15 July, Vélib’ is offering a self-service bike hire system
operating 24 hrs/24hrs, 7 days a week. It is simple and practical to use.
If tomorrow, for example you want to go to an area of the city by bike:
firstly take out a short subscription at one of the Vélib’ stations. For
the modest sum of one Euro, debited (like the total cost of the bike
hire) from your bank account, you will be issued with a ticket, valid all
day. It is then up to you to organise where you go, knowing that your
first half-hour will be free, the following half-hour will cost one Euro,
then 2 the following and four for every extra half hour. As well as a
daily subscription, there are also two other types of subscriptions to
choose from: a seven-day one or an annual one.
From 15 July, 750 stations some 300 metres apart will be open to the
public, with some 1,450 expected by the end of the year. Your chance to
organise that romantic cycling tour you have always dreamed of!
Velib’, is the opportunity to seek out all the back waters of the city
and to combine tourism and ecology.
Full details about Vélib on the www.velib.paris.fr website.

Old June 30th, 2008, 06:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

http://en.parisinfo.com/shows-exhibi...summer-in-pari...
[...]

From 15 July, 750 stations some 300 metres apart will be open to the
public, with some 1,450 expected by the end of the year. Your chance to
organise that romantic cycling tour you have always dreamed of!
Velib’, is the opportunity to seek out all the back waters of the city
and to combine tourism and ecology.
Full details about Vélib on thewww.velib.paris.frwebsite.

The problem is that, unlike all French credit cards and most European
credit cards, most American credit cards do not contain an EMV-chip.
See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velib

Old June 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl

On Jun 30, 6:28*am, wrote:
[...]

From 15 July, 750 stations some 300 metres apart will be open to the
public, with some 1,450 expected by the end of the year. Your chance to
organise that romantic cycling tour you have always dreamed of!
Velib’, is the opportunity to seek out all the back waters of the city
and to combine tourism and ecology.
Full details about Vélib on thewww.velib.paris.frwebsite.

The problem is that, unlike all French credit cards and most European
credit cards, most American credit cards do not contain an EMV-chip.
See:

* *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velib- Hide quoted text -

I'm encountering the chip-and-pin issue for the first time in the UK
this week. The problem appears to be that I have HK-issued cards with
chips but no pins. My old US card, which is chipless, works fine in
the old swipe-and-sign method, which many places still offer.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore (but en route London-Madrid today)

Old June 30th, 2008, 12:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_4_]

"grusl" wrote in message

I'm encountering the chip-and-pin issue for the first time in the UK
this week. The problem appears to be that I have HK-issued cards with
chips but no pins. My old US card, which is chipless, works fine in
the old swipe-and-sign method, which many places still offer.

Your HK cards should be usable in the UK as "Chip and Sign" cards.
--
JohnT

Old June 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl

On Jun 30, 12:47*pm, "JohnT" wrote:
"grusl" wrote in message

I'm encountering the chip-and-pin issue for the first time in the UK
this week. The problem appears to be that I have HK-issued cards with
chips but no pins. My old US card, which is chipless, works fine in
the old swipe-and-sign method, which many places still offer.

Your HK cards should be usable in the UK as "Chip and Sign" cards.

They will be once I bother to get a PIN assigned to them.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 30th, 2008, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"grusl" wrote in message
On Jun 30, 12:47 pm, "JohnT" wrote:
"grusl" wrote in message

I'm encountering the chip-and-pin issue for the first time in the UK
this week. The problem appears to be that I have HK-issued cards with
chips but no pins. My old US card, which is chipless, works fine in
the old swipe-and-sign method, which many places still offer.

Your HK cards should be usable in the UK as "Chip and Sign" cards.

They will be once I bother to get a PIN assigned to them.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Too many UK retailers believe that Chip and Pin is the only way cards work
these days. When it was first introduced one retailer with whom I am
friendly was of that opinion and I pointed out to him that cards from
outside the UK would quite likely not have a chip and/or pin *and* that in
any case there are some chip and sign cards issued in the UK. So he went
back to his credit card processor, got the full briefing and now understands
the issues. I realise it's unfair on you but I would insist that the
retailer telephones the authorisation centre to get instructions.