wireless on the Norwegian Dawn

Old January 11th, 2008, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Paul Krause

Default wireless on the Norwegian Dawn

Will be on the Dawn to Bermuda on April 20 and was wondering if wireless
on the Dawn will work with internal wireless on a notebook or other
device. Or do you need a wireless card provided by the ship.

I ask because I'd like to take an iPod touch with me so I can briefly
check my email. I have no need for a laptop on the cruise.

Paul
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mike[_28_]

Wireless on the Dawn is the pits. I wasn't even getting dial-up speed in
November in the internet cafe.
Unless it's an absolute necessity I wouldn't even bother

news

Old January 12th, 2008, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
shoreguy

"Paul Krause" wrote in message
news Will be on the Dawn to Bermuda on April 20 and was wondering if wireless
on the Dawn will work with internal wireless on a notebook or other
device. Or do you need a wireless card provided by the ship.

I ask because I'd like to take an iPod touch with me so I can briefly
check my email. I have no need for a laptop on the cruise.

Paul

It works with the internal wireless on a notebook in public areas no
problem. I have no idea if it will work with the ipod. Keep in mind you have
a special login screen with the service providers server and a popup window
to log off. If you don't logout your minutes continue to add up until it
finally time out and that can be a long time. You can also log out by going
to http://1.1.1.1. Depending on the plan you select when you first logon it
will be $.40 to $.75 per minute.

The value of a laptop is you can compose and read email off line. Login and
do a quick send and receive. Reading and composing online like in the
internet cafe can chew up lots of time and $.

Old January 12th, 2008, 08:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:31:04 GMT, shoreguy wrote:

I ask because I'd like to take an iPod touch with me so I can briefly
check my email. I have no need for a laptop on the cruise.

Paul

It works with the internal wireless on a notebook in public areas no
problem. I have no idea if it will work with the ipod. Keep in mind you have
a special login screen with the service providers server and a popup window
to log off. If you don't logout your minutes continue to add up until it
finally time out and that can be a long time. You can also log out by going
to http://1.1.1.1. Depending on the plan you select when you first logon it
will be $.40 to $.75 per minute.

The value of a laptop is you can compose and read email off line. Login and
do a quick send and receive. Reading and composing online like in the
internet cafe can chew up lots of time and $.

Don't forget, the eyes of Dawn will be upon you.