Europe-Closed on Sunday

Old April 1st, 2004, 09:45 AM
Earl Evleth

Default Europe-Closed on Sunday

On 1/04/04 0:51, in article
et, "Tim Kroesen"
wrote:

How do you expect the average worker to buy groceries, do banking, etc.
etc. etc, when stores, etc. are required keep the same hours as them?

In France, Saturday is the big day, and Saturday is not a general
working day except for those in the shops selling.

Banks?

I rarely go to the bank, I take my money from a money machine, most
of the rest is done on the internet. As it is, it is open during the week,
9-17.

Sunday morning is a food shopping day in France. We have one open
air market just two blocks from us (Blvd Raspail between Cherche-Midi
and Rue de Rennes) plus a closed air large market at St. Germain
(Mabillon).

Germany is generally closed on Sunday, and our daughter, when posted
in Frankfurt, use to get a car load of people and drive to Strasbourg
to shop on Sunday! Switzerland seems to close down on Saturday at noon
and if you wish to shop and are near the French border, one goes
to France. So for goods, France is open all day on Saturday and Sunday
morning for food. This is a day longer than in Germany and Switzerland.

The small Moroccan groceries are open on Sunday, all day.

But nary a department store in France. Some shop commerce are
open in the tourist areas in Paris, and naturally the flea market!
But for those into bricolage, paint, tools etc can not be bought on
Sunday. I would like to see those facilities available. Gardening
materials. In Paris, one can got to the Quai across from
the Isle de la Cité on Sunday, buy plants, gardening stuff, animals,
seeds etc.

No free economy anymore where *customers* decide by their money vote
what hours of operation should be??? How uncivilized !

The unions are powerful and the general public prefers
to retain the integrity of Sunday as a family day. So there is
no push to work on Sunday. Simply, money is not the measure of
all things.

But I do think things got to the absurd level in Germany. Our
daughter had to go shopping on her noon lunch hour since things
started closing down as she left work around 6. Stores
were only open some Saturday afternoons etc.

Years ago I figured that Germany was in trouble, they weren¹t working
hard enough and getting paid too much. The reunification added
another burden to bare.

Earl

Earl

Old April 1st, 2004, 11:19 AM
Mika

Tim Challenger wrote:

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 10:45:12 +0200, Earl Evleth wrote:

Stores were only open some Saturday afternoons etc.

The first Saturday in the month, "Langer Samstag" it used to be. Doesn't
really apply nowadays as most places are open 'till 5pm Saturdays now.
--
Tim C.

Uhh, no. Until 8pm now, Mon-Sat. And there are plenty of 24hr stores.
They are called 'Tankstelle'.

Old April 1st, 2004, 11:39 AM
Mxsmanic

Earl Evleth writes:

In France, Saturday is the big day, and Saturday is not a general
working day except for those in the shops selling.

Sunday is an even bigger day, if the shops are open. Remember IKEA.

Years ago I figured that Germany was in trouble, they weren¹t working
hard enough and getting paid too much. The reunification added
another burden to bare.

Sounds like your worries were justified. The complacency of affluence.

Old April 1st, 2004, 11:39 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:19:42 +0200, Mika wrote:

Tim Challenger wrote:

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 10:45:12 +0200, Earl Evleth wrote:

Stores were only open some Saturday afternoons etc.

The first Saturday in the month, "Langer Samstag" it used to be. Doesn't
really apply nowadays as most places are open 'till 5pm Saturdays now.
--
Tim C.

Uhh, no. Until 8pm now, Mon-Sat. And there are plenty of 24hr stores.
They are called 'Tankstelle'.

Is it 8 on Saturdays now ? I admit I'm a bit out of touch, being stuck
here in Austria. It's 5pm here anyway. Normally 6 or 7pm Mon-Fri.

--
Tim C.
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:40 AM
Mxsmanic

Tim Kroesen writes:

4/10's is the best idea for the working man to come along in Decades!

I think the best idea is for everything to run 24 hours a day, so that
people can choose their own working and leisure hours. It eliminates a
lot of traffic problems and peak usage for utilities, too.

Old April 1st, 2004, 12:27 PM
Mika

Tim Challenger wrote:

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:19:42 +0200, Mika wrote:

Uhh, no. Until 8pm now, Mon-Sat. And there are plenty of 24hr stores.
They are called 'Tankstelle'.

Is it 8 on Saturdays now ? I admit I'm a bit out of touch, being stuck
here in Austria. It's 5pm here anyway. Normally 6 or 7pm Mon-Fri.

20:00 Monday through Saturday. Not all stores actually do, but they can.
The grocery stores in my area all open until 20:00.

Old April 1st, 2004, 01:35 PM
Earl Evleth

On 1/04/04 14:16, in article NKTac.2372$Y22.44470@zonnet-reader-1, "Paul
Dwerryhouse" wrote:

Earl Evleth writes:

On 1/04/04 12:40, in article ,
"Mxsmanic" wrote:

I think the best idea is for everything to run 24 hours a day, so that
people can choose their own working and leisure hours. It eliminates a
lot of traffic problems and peak usage for utilities, too.

An idea that won't come in Europe.

It went to Britain (mostly), it went to Australia, it can go anywhere.

People will decide they like the convenience and it will just happen.

In Paris we like 24/24 hour home visits by doctors,

Urgences médicales (santé, social...)

S.O.S. médecin - 24 h/24
01 43 37 77 77 ou 01 47 07 77 77

Garde médicale de Paris 16e
01 42 72 88 88

S.A.M.U.
15 ou 01 45 67 50 50

Ambulances assistance publique jour et nuit
01 45 13 67 89

S.O.S. cardiologues 24 h/24
01 47 07 50 50

S.O.S. stimulateurs cardiaques
01 44 19 51 18

S.O.S. psychiatre
01 47 07 24 24

S.O.S. dépression 24 h/24
01 40 47 95 95

S.O.S. kinésitherapie (notamment kinésithérapie respiratoire pour bébés) 24
h/24
01 42 00 22 00

Urgences pédiatrie
01 44 09 84 85

Urgences psychiatrie 24 h/24
01 40 47 04 47

Présence psychologique 7 j/7
01 46 24 09 97

Infirmières assistance
01 42 06 15 30

Aide à domicile
01 40 33 01 71

S.O.S. laboratoire
01 46 08 11 11

Centre anti-poison
01 40 05 48 48

Hôpital F. Widal, 200, rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis, Paris (10e)
01 40 05 45 45

Urgences transfusions sanguines St-Antoine
01 53 02 91 00

Urgences médicales de Paris
01 53 94 94 94

Urgences dentaires
01 42 61 12 00

S.O.S. dentistes
01 43 37 51 00

Hôpital enfants Necker
01 44 49 40 00

Hôpital enfants Trousseau
01 44 73 74 75

Hôpital américain, 63, Bd Victor Hugo, Neuilly
01 46 41 25 25

Brûlures
15

Hôpital Cochin, 27, rue du Faubourg Saint-Jacques, Paris (14e)
01 58 41 41 41

Hôpital St-Antoine, 184, rue du Faubourg Saint-Antoine, Paris (12e)
01 49 28 20 00

Hôpital Foch, 40, rue Worth, Suresnes (92)
01 46 25 20 00

Ophtalmologiques
01 42 34 80 36

Accueil service 3e âge
01 44 73 87 87

Aide aux toxicomanes et familles (A.T.F.) - 9 h/18 h
08 25 30 93 10

Drogues info-service
113

Centre médical Marmottan, rue d¹Armaillé, Paris (17e) (toxicomanie)
01 45 74 00 04

S.O.S. espoir
01 43 70 69 26

S.O.S. amitié
01 42 96 26 26

S.O.S. psychologue (en français et en espagnol)
01 47 43 01 12

Vétérinaires à domicile 24 h/24
01 47 55 47 00

Intoxications alimentaires (service vétérinaire)
01 44 79 51 51

S.O.S. soins décès
01 40 72 65 15

Urgences funéraires Ville de Paris
08 00 88 00 88

Old April 1st, 2004, 04:15 PM
Owain

"Earl Evleth" wrote
| In Paris we like 24/24 hour home visits by doctors,
| Urgences médicales (santé, social...)
| S.O.S. médecin - 24 h/24
| 01 43 37 77 77 ou 01 47 07 77 77
| Urgences funéraires Ville de Paris
| 08 00 88 00 88

I could be dead before I decided which of those was the appropriate one to
call :-)

I suppose I just call the last one then.

Owain

Old April 1st, 2004, 08:51 PM
Mxsmanic

Earl Evleth writes: