Best time to do a transatlantic cruise?

Old August 4th, 2008, 01:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

Default Best time to do a transatlantic cruise?

Ermalee wrote in message
. ..

Jean... we've gotta get you to try the Queen Mary 2 one of these years.

--Tom

Ya know Tom, today is the first day that I am feeling well enough to take
a cruise on her! For awhile, I did not think that I would be able to
take the three cruises that we have already booked! So I hope to take a
westbound cruise on the QM2 someday soon! Let me know the next time you
go!

--Jean

Me too. I did it once and would love to go on QM2 again. How about a
group cruise? Anyone else?
BTW, Jean. Where have you been? We've missed you on rtc.

Ermalee

You're pulling my leg, Ermalee...you know where I have been! ;-) I have
never had so many health issues as I have had the past eight years and I
hope the ones that started in May of this year are the last! I ain't goin to
hell...I already been there!!! ;-)
Thank God I have had the best day ever today, so I guess I will be amongst
the living for awhile, the Good Lord is not ready for me yet! I'm glad that
y'all missed me here anyway!

Jean---ready for the Danube River Cruise and week in Poland on Sept.1

Old August 4th, 2008, 01:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Tobie Gerbrandt" wrote in message
I'll "second" that motion Jean!

We are also on that westbound T/A on the Regatta. This will be our third
T/A on the Regatta and will be our first time taking the same ship for a
third cruise. Our first crossing on the Regatta was in Novwmber, 2004
(Lisbon to Miami). We did an Eastbound crossing in March, 2007 (Miami to
Marsaille) and we're really looking forward to joining Jean and Ed and Cal
and Patty on the Westbound this fall after a 10 day Med. cruise on the
Navigator of the Seas (Barcelona to Turkey R/T).

Both previous crossings were GREAT, with some mildly rough weather, but
mostly sunny and calm.

Helen. "GOOD LUCK!" choosing your anniversary cruise, no matter which
itinerary and ship you choose!

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

We're looking forward to it too, Tobie...From all the bragging about the
Regatta that you have done, it BETTER be good!
LOL! I'm sure it will be.

--Jean,---looking forward to sailing with Tobie and slim and svelte Barbara!

Old August 4th, 2008, 01:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Rosaly Z. Greenberger" wrote in message
I agree with Jean and Tobie - I have done about 5 or 6 transatlantic
cruises and enjoyed them immensely. We were always very lucky and had
smooth seas both Eastbound and Westbound. I do prefer ending in Europe.

We have been with some of the RTC people on the Regatta and found it very
exciting. The ship is magnificent and nice and small and the food is
beyond any other ship I have sailed on.

I am going to take the Regatta again in March from Miami to Barcelona
with stops in Casa Blanca and Malaga and am looking forward to that.

Whatever you decide, happy sailing and smooth seas. rosaly

We will try to keep the ship in good shape for you, Rosaly! Wish you were
able to take the Regatta with us this November. I am really looking forward
to it from all that you and Tobie have said about her. I am looking forward
to the four days in Barcelona before boarding her on the 11th. I love
Transatlantics...they are so peaceful and relaxing!

--Jean

Old August 4th, 2008, 03:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Ermalee wrote in message
. ..
Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Tom K" wrote in message

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
.. .

"Helen" wrote in message

We'd like to do a transatlantic cruise in 2010 to celebrate our 30th
wedding anniversary. Any thoughts on the best time of year to do this
in terms of weather, etc? Eastbound vs Westbound? We'd like to embark/
disembark in Florida but the rest is up in the air. We're also
wondering how far ahead we need to book. Thanks

Helen,
Both the transatlantics that we took were eastbound..the Constellation
in April and the Jewel of the Seas at the end of March and that is when
I got hooked on transatlantics. Having said that, I recommend that you
take a westbound cruise. On the eastbound you lose an hour practically
every day..westbound ones give you extra hours! We are booked on the
Oceania Regatta on Nov.11th, leaving Barcelona and ending up in Ft
Lauderdale 14 days later.
You need to book as soon as possible as they tend to fill up quickly..I
was told ours on the Regatta was filled last year! Since you are going
in 2010, you have plenty of time to research for the ship and itinerary
that you want! You will also have a good chance to get the category
cabin that you want by booking a year ahead.

--Jean

Jean... we've gotta get you to try the Queen Mary 2 one of these years.

--Tom

Ya know Tom, today is the first day that I am feeling well enough to take
a cruise on her! For awhile, I did not think that I would be able to
take the three cruises that we have already booked! So I hope to take a
westbound cruise on the QM2 someday soon! Let me know the next time you
go!

--Jean

Me too. I did it once and would love to go on QM2 again. How about a
group cruise? Anyone else?
BTW, Jean. Where have you been? We've missed you on rtc.

I'd do a QM2 group cruise in a heart beat.

--Tom

Old August 4th, 2008, 03:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

Ya know Tom, today is the first day that I am feeling well enough to take
a cruise on her! For awhile, I did not think that I would be able to take
the three cruises that we have already booked! So I hope to take a
westbound cruise on the QM2 someday soon! Let me know the next time you
go!

--Jean

I'm so GLAD to hear that you're feeling better today... GREAT NEWS.

Next summer we're doing Crown Princess up the North Cape of Norway. And I
want to do a sailing that goes to Iceland. But I will definitely hit the
QM2 again in (as the captain says) "the not to far distant future".

--Tom

Old August 4th, 2008, 03:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"sue mullen" wrote in message

Ermalee wrote:

Ya know Tom, today is the first day that I am feeling well enough to
take a cruise on her! For awhile, I did not think that I would be able
to take the three cruises that we have already booked! So I hope to
take a westbound cruise on the QM2 someday soon! Let me know the next
time you go!

--Jean

Me too. I did it once and would love to go on QM2 again. How about a
group cruise? Anyone else?

As much as I would love to do a transatlantic, it would not be on the QM2.
I know there is lots of history, but it is way too formal for us to enjoy.

sue

I take the opposite... if there's one ship I WOULD... it's the QM2. Rather
be in a tux on the QM2 than hanging over the rail feeding the fish on a less
formal ship that can't handle the North Atlantic. The same size 20-25 foot
wave that threw the Zenith all over the place did almost nothing to the QM2.

One day to Bermuda... ok, you take your chances with a small ship. But 5
days 6 nights out of the North Atlantic with the nearest land 3 days away...
I want the ocean liner hull under me.

--Tom

--Tom

Old August 4th, 2008, 03:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Tom K" wrote in message

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

Ya know Tom, today is the first day that I am feeling well enough to take
a cruise on her! For awhile, I did not think that I would be able to
take the three cruises that we have already booked! So I hope to take a
westbound cruise on the QM2 someday soon! Let me know the next time you
go!

--Jean

I'm so GLAD to hear that you're feeling better today... GREAT NEWS.

Next summer we're doing Crown Princess up the North Cape of Norway. And I
want to do a sailing that goes to Iceland. But I will definitely hit the
QM2 again in (as the captain says) "the not to far distant future".

Thanks Tom, it feels SOOO good to be feeling well again!
Since the QM2 goes transatlantic most of the year, we might be able to
figure out a date that we can go together.
A group sailing would be great...wonder what interest it would hold.

--Jean

Old August 4th, 2008, 04:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Tom K" wrote in message

[...]

I can always twist Charle's arm.

Since next year's Norway... maybe the year after. Charles might be ready
again by then.

Old August 4th, 2008, 04:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Tom K wrote:
"sue mullen" wrote in message

Ermalee wrote:

[...]

I can see this being right for you since you do get seasick. I remember
the first time we meet you, it was on the Zenith and it wasn't long
before you had to go take your meds for seasickness. We are lucky and
can handle any seas and just can't see doing so many formal nights.

sue
Old August 4th, 2008, 04:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

Jean---ready for the Danube River Cruise and week in Poland on Sept.1

Is this the cruise that you will be leaving from NY/NJ? If it is, is
there a chance of our getting a luncheon put together before you leave?

sue - happy to see Jean feeling better and posting again!!