Lobster Night?

Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:54 PM
Harry Jones

Default Lobster Night?

I always thought that one of the
mandatory requirements for a cruise was that lobster was served at least one
night. I have found that the case on all my previous cruises until now.
On a recent 5 day RCCI cruise (Voyager ots) lobster (tails) never made an
appearance.
Is this another attempt to pare
costs, or was it an isolated
instance?

Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:47 PM
David C Jacobson

"Harry Jones" wrote in message
I always thought that one of the
mandatory requirements for a cruise was that lobster was served at least

one
night. I have found that the case on all my previous cruises until now.
On a recent 5 day RCCI cruise (Voyager ots) lobster (tails) never made an
appearance.
Is this another attempt to pare
costs, or was it an isolated
instance?

I was on the Carnival Holiday three weeks ago, and would have been
disappointed if I did not have been offered lobster and prime rib on formal
night. Hopefully, your experience was an isolated oversight.

David Jacobson
Baton Rouge

Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:21 PM
Tom & Linda

Yes it's a cost saving measure.

They probably did you a favor though. I've found that Celebrity's,
Princess', RCI's, NCL's and Carnival's lobster is so lousy... that I'm
thinking it's a ploy to get you to buy Ant-Acids in their gift shop. It's
usually dry and mushy (to me indicating bacterial decomposition has already
started). Caribbean lobster should be firm and almost crispy. It should be
rather "tough". Chewy. When I go to the tiny family owned seafood
restaurants along the west coast of Puerto Rico (south of Mayaguez), and you
get a lobster caught that day, it's always tough and chewy. That's when
it's fresh. If it's not, if it's soft or mushy it's old. Tender with a
Caribbean lobster is NOT good.

--Tom

Old May 24th, 2004, 03:39 AM

We had lobster twice on the 21 day HAL Panama cruise. My TA says that
they don't serve lobster on anything less than 7 days.?? ...Well, at
least he never saw any of them on the 3 day cruise he took with HAL.
...I've also noticed a distinct lack of King Crab in the lido on my last
couple of 7 day cruises. ...There was always an abundance of them on the
3 --ten day cruises that I took back in 2001, and 2002. ....Hopefully
I'll see some more of them this October during my 10 dayer.
...Come to think of it.... The last cruise I took was the first time I
wasn't offered seconds when I had the lobster.. ...Jon

Old May 24th, 2004, 03:52 AM
Brian K

On 05/23/2004 4:54 PM Harry Jones plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger
and said:

I always thought that one of the
mandatory requirements for a cruise was that lobster was served at least one
night. I have found that the case on all my previous cruises until now.
On a recent 5 day RCCI cruise (Voyager ots) lobster (tails) never made an
appearance.
Is this another attempt to pare
costs, or was it an isolated
instance?

The price of North Atlantic Lobster had been driven up by a blight that
nearly wiped out populations in the waters of Mane and other commercial
fishing sites. With premium wholesale prices, I am not surprised that
many cruise lines are cutting back. Recently on HAL's ms Veendam,
instead of Mane Lobster we were offered some very excellent Alaskan King
Crab Legs. Extra portions? No problem.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old May 24th, 2004, 03:59 AM
Charles

In article .net,
Brian K wrote:

The price of North Atlantic Lobster had been driven up by a blight that
nearly wiped out populations in the waters of Mane and other commercial
fishing sites. With premium wholesale prices, I am not surprised that
many cruise lines are cutting back. Recently on HAL's ms Veendam,
instead of Mane Lobster we were offered some very excellent Alaskan King
Crab Legs. Extra portions? No problem.

Maine Lobster has been pretty inexpensive the last few years. Seems to
be plenty available.

The lobster the cruise lines have been serving is not Maine Lobster.

--
Charles
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Reef Fish

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message .net...

They probably did you a favor though. I've found that Celebrity's,
Princess', RCI's, NCL's and Carnival's lobster is so lousy... that I'm
thinking it's a ploy to get you to buy Ant-Acids in their gift shop.

LOL!

But only at your unintended joke/implication that collectively the 5
mentioned cruise lines served only one lobster. ;-)

Come on, Tom. You over-killed.

It's usually dry and mushy (to me indicating bacterial decomposition
has already started).

"usually" did imply "not always" though. Why didn't you return those
rotten lobsters of yours and ask the waiter to bring you a fresh one?

Caribbean lobster should be firm and almost crispy. It should be
rather "tough". Chewy. When I go to the tiny family owned seafood
restaurants along the west coast of Puerto Rico (south of Mayaguez), and you
get a lobster caught that day, it's always tough and chewy. That's when
it's fresh.

Your prejudice and personal taste finally showed. It explained your
hyperbole. First of all, not all lobsters are from the Caribbean.
Secondly, it's certainly NOT the case that all fresh lobsters are
"tough" and chewy -- in fact, those that are would tend to send me
to your Ant-Acids and my Roll-Aids.

-- Bob.
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Surfer E2468

Last cruise we took,when they had lobster & prime rib,we took them and
we ate the prime rib,and our tablemates took our lobsters,so everyone
was happy