AUS fashion ...

Old July 24th, 2004, 08:00 PM
4000 psi

Default AUS fashion ...

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
4000 psi nospamever wrote:
[deleted]
for all you fashion-minded travelers ... what is fashionable in oz at

the
moment?

Clothes, and not neccessarily even that.

this is more my kind-a style ... i remember Albi Mangles (sp?) ozzy host of
a travel show ... his dress code is more like my cup of tea ...

Old July 26th, 2004, 03:06 AM
T. Yuben

Dude, you are really doing some homework here. Don't worry about it,
people love american clothing around here! At least 50% of the
population aren't true australians anyway!

"4000 psi" nospamever wrote in message ...
"ncurtis" wrote in message
om...
"4000 psi" nospamever wrote in message

i'm asking on my wife's behalf, so please do not shoot the messenger ...

what are people wearing down under now-a-days ... for casual as well as
dressy occasions ...

Tell her to wait until you have settled in a bit, and then go
shopping. There is no shortage of either women's magazines (with
obligatory fashion/shopping bits) or clothing in Australia. If she's
worried about sticking out/fitting in...well, yes, you *both* will,
but there's not much point in fretting about it. (Note that if
sartorial conformity is a big deal to her, you're in for a wardrobe
overhaul yourself. It's very unlikely that your pants and shorts are
cut like an Aussie's.) About the only fashion tip I'd consider worthy
of note is that since you will probably use a line, not a drier,
itmight be time to retire the "holy" undergarments and anything else
you wouldn't want flapping in the breeze (and strong sunlight).

Nancy

loved your advice Nancy, i immediately threw away 1/2 of my undergarments
for the fear that they would not pass the 'line' test ... i guess we'll have
to get used to airing our dirty laundry in public and not keep it all in
like the rest of the Americans

Old July 26th, 2004, 05:28 AM
novus

"4000 psi" nospamever wrote in message
i'm asking on my wife's behalf, so please do not shoot the messenger ...

what are people wearing down under now-a-days ... for casual as well as
dressy occasions ...

Depends quite strongly on the city. Melbourne is regarded as the fashion
capital whereas further north (with tropical climates) dress is much more
informal. Also depends on your wife's age. In general in Oz, women under 35
buy by label and brand, women over 35 buy by style.

novus

Old July 26th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Geodyne

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 00:31:40 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

About the same as anywhere - purely formal in a land that still recognizes
knighthoods and peerages is, if anything, more staid than much of Europe.
Tails are not unheard of at formal garden parties.

Conversely, nobody will kick you out of the SOH at a premiere for pitching
up in Hard Yakka gear.

Indeed. I can remember going to the "ABC Top Classical 100"
performance in the concert hall at the SOH a couple of years ago. The
people in the row in front of us were backpackers, in standard
backpacker gear, complete with ripped jeans and teva sandals. It
turned out that they were all European university students with music
majors, and probably more knowledgable than most in the crowd. It was
one of the more fun performances I've been to.

Geodyne