Why new ships?

Old September 27th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Benjamin Smith

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

"Becca" wrote in message

Benjamin Smith wrote:

For those that must have or strongly prefer new ships, with new being
defined as ships in service for 2 years or less, why?

Ben, I like what the newer ships have to offer. I prefer Carnival's
Spirit class ships and Royal Caribbean's Voyager class ships when compared
to their older ships. They just happen to be newer. I will cruise on the
Conquest in about a month, but I may not like that ship as well as the
Spirit class ships.

I too, like the brand new ships, just because of the newness and being
sparkling clean ...If an older ship has been well taken care of, I enjoy her
as well. I just like being on a ship period! The anticipation and
exploration of what each one offers is exciting in itself...

Yes the brand new ships will have new materials and the machinery will
be new. Most of them aren't really new to anyone who has been on one of
their sisers. When I went on the Constellation it was deja vu, it was
the Millennium with different colors and patterns (no sports bar, bigger
plant shop, different specialty restaurant decor). If you put pictures
of the interior spaces of the new HAL ships next to each other, the new
Princess ships, the RCI Radiance ships, and others, you won't find that
many differences from one to the other (though that's been true of HAL,
Princess and RCI for awhile). What you find are small differences, the
art, the different mood patterns and colors present. Carnival offers
something more creative, if you are into Carnival's style of creativity.
Celebrity's lost it with the Millennium class, they were most creative
from ship to ship with Century class, each of these ships offers
something quite distinct from the other inside.

As much as I talk about decor, its the combo and especially the size of
public spaces and variety of them that matters for me. And it is a combo
of how the cruise elements come together. Also important is how the
cruise ship represents the style/feel of the line. I find some of the
mid 90s ships to represent some lines better than the newest ships of
that line, particularly HAL and Celebrity.

One of my most
favorite ships was the *Real* Pacific Princess.. I don't remember, Ben, if
you ever sailed on her, but I think that she would have been to your
liking...She would still attract passengers if she were around...Has anyone
heard of how she is faring now?

Didn't sail on her. I had a luncheon on her. But, that's the argument
I'd often use for those who would recommend to others to try the newest
or biggest ships. When PP was doing the Bermuda run, almost unanimously
passengers sailing her came back reporting that she had the best
atmosphere, best food, best service of all of the Princess ships and
many felt of all the ships going to Bermuda from New York City or
Boston. No balconies (I don't think there were any), no fancy category
of staterooms, fairly modest public areas, some of the spaces showing
considerable wear, none of that detracted from a special quality she had
to produce a superior cruise.

Ben S.

--Jean

Old September 27th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message news:FF%5d.4373or
less, why?
As much as I talk about decor, its the combo and especially the size of
public spaces and variety of them that matters for me. And it is a combo
of how the cruise elements come together. Also important is how the cruise
ship represents the style/feel of the line. I find some of the mid 90s
ships to represent some lines better than the newest ships of that line,
particularly HAL and Celebrity.

You're a tough customer, Ben...Often all those do not come together! Some
times you have to settle for just some of them and sometimes, you just have
to enjoy what ya' got! If we had perfection on every cruise, we would not
have any comparisons to speak of and/or enjoy them as much...But when you do
have them come together..it's magnifico!!

Didn't sail on her. I had a luncheon on her. But, that's the argument I'd
often use for those who would recommend to others to try the newest or
biggest ships. When PP was doing the Bermuda run, almost unanimously
passengers sailing her came back reporting that she had the best
atmosphere, best food, best service of all of the Princess ships and many
felt of all the ships going to Bermuda from New York City or Boston. No
balconies (I don't think there were any), no fancy category of staterooms,
fairly modest public areas, some of the spaces showing considerable wear,
none of that detracted from a special quality she had to produce a
superior cruise.

Too bad you did not sail on her, as you said, she was small, and there's
alot to say about being small...The crew and passengers became a family and
it was a lot of fun! Never did an officer or member of the crew pass you
without a smile and greeting..sometimes even your name! No, there were no
balconies and the cabins were on the small size, yet she was a *happy*
ship..The entertainment was the best of any that I can remember..the
comedian had everyone in stitches with just plain clean humor! My sides
ached from laughing the entire time he was on stage and even when he popped
up elsewhere on the ship, he would get everyone laughing. The food was very
good..Guess that is another plus on a small ship..not so many to cook for.
If they brought the PP back, we would be the first to book her, no matter
what itinerary.

--Jean

Ben S.

Old September 27th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Benjamin Smith

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message news:FF%5d.4373or
less, why?

As much as I talk about decor, its the combo and especially the size of
public spaces and variety of them that matters for me. And it is a combo
of how the cruise elements come together. Also important is how the cruise
ship represents the style/feel of the line. I find some of the mid 90s
ships to represent some lines better than the newest ships of that line,
particularly HAL and Celebrity.

You're a tough customer, Ben...Often all those do not come together!

For sure, but you can build it into the ship. If the crew, entertainers,
pax gel, that's great, the ship provides the platform.

Some
times you have to settle for just some of them and sometimes, you just have
to enjoy what ya' got! If we had perfection on every cruise, we would not
have any comparisons to speak of and/or enjoy them as much...But when you do
have them come together..it's magnifico!!

My problem with HAL and Celebrity is that they are getting away from
their essence. HAL has been for years a line for those that want some of
the high points and grace of a bygone era. Celebrity was a culinary line
with some personalized service aspects. Both offered ballroom dancing
and some of the "romance" of cruising in most of their venues. Both were
for a smaller portion of the cruise population than other lines and were
traditional, but Celebrity did offer some contemporary touches.

Now, Celebrity's has explorer cruises to the Galapagos and Cirque de
Soliel masquerade balls and have become sort of meat and potatoes with
their food offerings, simplified their menus while not changing them,
and simplified their food's presentation (used to be best for mainstream
lines). HAL is less confused but one of the reasons so many loved HAL
was the "mid sized" ships. Going to 85,000 tons and nearly 2000 pax
takes away that mid-sized experience that those looking for it could
find. HAL still has it as they have quite a few ships in the midsized
range. I just hope that when they go out of service, and I think
Carnival thinks 15 years is long enough a lifespan, there are some
midsized ships down the line--and I don't regard 70,000 tons as midsized.

Ben S.

Old September 28th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Charles

In article et,
Benjamin Smith wrote:

For those that must have or strongly prefer new ships, with new being
defined as ships in service for 2 years or less, why?

I don't prefer new ships but there is something fun about being on a
new ship. I was on the following ships within their first year.
Mercury, Summit, Sea Princess, Grand Princess, Island Princess, Voyager
of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas. They were all fresh which was kind
of neat.

Hmm. Maybe I do prefer new ships? Or could it be coincidence because
there have been a lot of new ships the last few years?

Just got my documents today for Miracle. That is a new ship too. And
the cruise I am going in Dec. is on Jewel of the Seas. Brand spanking
new.

--
Charles

Old September 28th, 2004, 02:17 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Just got my documents today for Miracle. That is a new ship too. And
the cruise I am going in Dec. is on Jewel of the Seas. Brand spanking
new.

Great,Charles! I can't wait to hear your comments on the Miracle..After all
the positive Carnival reports of late, I hope that she is not a
disappointment..You will be leaving right after the GGC leaves on 10/31
won't you? My first experience on the Conquest class of ships too. At
110,000 tons, she may be a bit to walk and explore, but I'm looking forward
to it..one way to keep the weight down! It will be great seeing so many of
the rtc people again and meeting those we haven't yet met, but you'll be
getting that on your Jewel of the Seas cruise and you'll have a ball!

--Jean

Old September 28th, 2004, 02:53 AM

I may be in a small minority among people on this group, but I pick
cruises mostly for the itinerary and/or port of departure. My favorite
cruises have been Windjammer, but of the six "big ship" cruises I've
taken, my favorite was on the 50's vintage Stella Solaris which sailed
from Ft. Lauderdale, had stops on Caribbean islands, and went up the
Amazon to Manaus, Brazil. My second favorite was on the "old" Carnival
Holiday. That cruise sailed from San Juan, had no "days at sea" and had
port calls at St. Kitts, Dominica, St. Maarten, Barbados, and
Martinique. I've been on new ships, most recently the Carnival Glory,
and have enjoyed the cruises, but I like the smaller islands, and a port
every day.