Antique Gun Import

Old October 11th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Marc Lurie

Default Antique Gun Import

Hello Mike,

Firstly, I'd like to say that i think it's a real pity that a
magnificent piece of work like a Purdy has been damaged. They are
truly beautifully made guns, and very collectable.

OK, onto practical matters...

If a South African gun owner wishes to render a firearm inactive (in
other words, make it practically useless as anything but a momento)
they must get the correct form from the SA Police, then take the form
and the gun to a certified gunsmith who will do the necessary work on
the rame, action, barrel etc. The completed form is then re-submitted
to the SA Police, and ythey will eventually get confirmaton that the
gun has been de-activated, and no longer requires a license. I am
certain that simply removing the firing pin will not be considered
sufficient action to render the gun inactive.

If you bring the gun into SA on an SAP311, you will not be able to
sell the gun. (well, not without loads of red tape).

I think the corrct form of action is to contact the SA Gun Owners
Association at http://www.saga.org.za for information.

Regards
Marc - Johannesburg

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:20:15 -0400, "Mike Himelfarb"
wrote:

As part of our trip to SA we had hoped to present a relative with an antique
Purdy shotgun which has had it's firing pin removed. Can anyone tell me
what special requirements we have to satisfy to bring this item into the
country with us? The only reference I can find so far refers to hunters
bringing in guns to use on safari, etc (SAP311?), otherwise nothing.

Mike.