Carnival Launches 1st Wine Club!

Old January 31st, 2005, 02:58 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Carnival Launches 1st Wine Club!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Carnival today. I am aware that
this subject has been discussed here on r.t.cruises but thought
today's press release may prove interesting, or maybe not. g If you
have missed any of my news' postings, they are available on my web
site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Carnival Cruise Lines Launches Industry's First Wine Club
01/31/2005

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES LAUNCHES INDUSTRY’S FIRST WINE CLUB

Initiative Seeks to Make Fine Wines More Familiar to Cruise
Vacationers

MIAMI (January 31, 2005) — Calling it a “club with a mission,”
Carnival Cruise Lines has launched the Presidential Wine Club, the
cruise industry’s first affinity group for people interested in wine.
Members will receive two bottles of select boutique wines each month,
and have access to an on-line wine information and communication
resource.

All wines featured in club mailings are tasted and approved by Bob
Dickinson, president and CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines, a noted wine
collector and unabashed oenophile, or wine connoisseur. Many of the
wines come from small, boutique wineries located in the world’s great
wine regions of California, France, Italy, Spain, Chile, Argentina and
Australia.

Among the Dickinson Selection wines that members can expect to receive
are Merryvale Starmon Sauvignon Blanc 2003, Napa, Calif.; St. Supery
Cabernet 2000, Napa, Calif.; Pirramimma Shiraz, McClaren Vale 2001,
Australia; Tasman Bay Nelson Sauvignon Blanc 2004, New Zealand, and
Oriel Courant Cote du Rhone 2003, France.

“With the Presidential Wine Club, we are doing for wine what Carnival
did for the cruise experience — demystifying it,” said Dickinson. “The
enjoyment of wine often is perceived as elitist, just as cruising used
to be. We are making wine accessible to those who might otherwise be
intimidated by the idea of fine vintages.”

While membership will be primarily marketed to Carnival Cruise Lines
past guests, anyone with an interest in wine may join. The cost is
$39.99 per month for two bottles, plus $9.99 shipping and handling.
There is no contract and membership can be discontinued at any time
without penalty.

Dickinson says the club’s mission is to educate people about the
enjoyment and health benefits of wine. The club’s Web site functions
as a wine information resource and has interactive message boards for
members to trade opinions about wine and a monthly “Ask Bob” column by
the cruise line’s president.

Additional member benefits include opportunities to participate in
annual Presidential Wine Club cruises featuring wine tastings, food
pairings and sessions with wine makers and other wine experts. Members
also qualify for discounts on special wine purchases and wine-related
products and accessories sold through the Web site.

Current plans for the club include making select Presidential Wine
Club vintages available at designated bars on all Carnival ships.
According to Dickinson, this will provide guests an opportunity to
taste some of the club wines before becoming a member

“Our goal is to make wine the beer of tomorrow,” said Dickinson. “Beer
is like a birthright to Americans, while people who drink fine wines
account for less than 10 percent of the population. Carnival is set to
carry 3.3 million guests in 2005, and I think we can reach a lot of
those folks with our message.”

To become a member of the Presidential Wine Club, visit the Web site
at www.presidentialwineclub.com or call, toll-free, 1-888-292-2582.

Carnival Cruise Lines, a unit of Carnival Corporation (NYSE/LSE: CCL;
NYSE: CUK) is the largest and most popular cruise line in the world,
with 20 “Fun Ships” operating voyages ranging from three to 16 days in
length to the Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Alaska, Hawaii,
Canada, New England and Europe.

The line currently has two 110,000-ton SuperLiners – Carnival Liberty
and Carnival Freedom – with a collective estimated value of $1 billion
scheduled to enter service between now and February 2007.

NOTE TO EDITORS: Currently, the Presidential Wine Club can ship select
vintages to 29 of 50 U.S. states. Some states may require sales tax be
collected. Those prohibiting the interstate shipment of wines include
Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana,
Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma,
Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Utah, Vermont and Virginia.

Carnival Cruise Lines is a proud member of the exclusive World’s
Leading Cruise Lines. Our exclusive alliance also includes Holland
America Line, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Costa Cruises, Windstar
Cruises and The Yachts of Seabourn. Sharing a passion to please each
guest, and a commitment to quality and value, our member lines appeal
to a wide range of lifestyles and budgets. Together, we offer exciting
and enriching cruise vacations to the world’s most desirable
destinations.
Old January 31st, 2005, 08:49 PM
Wayne Lundberg

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Carnival today. I am aware that
this subject has been discussed here on r.t.cruises but thought
today's press release may prove interesting, or maybe not. g If you
have missed any of my news' postings, they are available on my web
site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Be wary of any adjunct activity sponsored by Carnival. My personal
experience with their adjunct Carnival Vacation Club is making me wonder why
I would want to continue doing business with a company that licenses their
good name to people like Carnival Vacation Club which continues to be a
nightmare.

Wayne

Old January 31st, 2005, 09:55 PM
Howie

Given what I've seen on cruise ships (and on this newsgroup), they would
be better off launching a whine club.

Howie

Old January 31st, 2005, 10:19 PM
Dick Goldhaber

When on a cruise ship we almost always have wine with dinner, but given that
we have found the wines we enjoyed onboard at 1/3 the price at either BJ's
or any local liquor store, we will pass on the Wine Club.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old February 1st, 2005, 12:37 AM
Jmpngtiger

We've had a Carnival Whine Club on this NG for quite some time now...

It's definitely not a "first"...

jt