$75M lawsuit filed on behalf of passengers

Old August 8th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Mister Wrong

Great. Another opportunity to make a group of ethicless lawyers into
instant millionaires. At the expense of all the rest of us who take
air transportation.

Old August 8th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Bigbear Chaser

Give her 50cents and tell her to quit sniveling

Old August 9th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Brian

On 8 Aug 2005 13:36:26 -0700, "Mister Wrong"
wrote:

Great. Another opportunity to make a group of ethicless lawyers into
instant millionaires. At the expense of all the rest of us who take
air transportation.

According to the lawyers, they are doing it for the good of the
masses. Somehow these lawyers seem to make a bundle.

Old August 9th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Nolo Contendre

Great. Another opportunity to make a group of ethicless
lawyers into instant millionaires. At the expense of all
the rest of us who take air transportation.

According to the lawyers, they are doing it for the good of
the masses. Somehow these lawyers seem to make a bundle.

I would be interested in hearing that the filing of a 75 million dollar
lawsuit is somehow good for the masses. Investigate how liability
claims cost all of us, and how because of these legal actions we pay
more for everything. I personally cannot see how turning lawyers into
millionaires is somehow a benefit to society.

Old August 9th, 2005, 07:22 PM
DevilsPGD

In message . com "Nolo
Contendre" wrote:

Great. Another opportunity to make a group of ethicless
lawyers into instant millionaires. At the expense of all
the rest of us who take air transportation.

According to the lawyers, they are doing it for the good of
the masses. Somehow these lawyers seem to make a bundle.

I would be interested in hearing that the filing of a 75 million dollar
lawsuit is somehow good for the masses. Investigate how liability
claims cost all of us, and how because of these legal actions we pay
more for everything. I personally cannot see how turning lawyers into
millionaires is somehow a benefit to society.

Actually, the benefit is because without the constant threat of a class
action lawsuit, a company has no incentive to behave.

If a company knows that they can pay off each of the living victims
$10,000 and each of the dead ones $100,000 (into their estates,
obviously), then even with 55 passengers on board, that's only $550,000
payout (maximum), so any safety mechanism that prevents a once in 10
year crash but costs more then $550,000 isn't worth it.

On the other hand, if the company knows that they'll pay out $50,000,000
for screwing up, it's worth their time to make damn sure they don't put
themselves in a position to pay out that kind of cash.

That being said, the liars^H^H^H^Hawyers get WAY too much of the
settlement, and the actual victims not only get too little, but they
often get things they don't want.

For example, I was recently part of a class that "won" a judgment
against a company that lied about the sound output capabilities of their
product. I believe, although I'm not certain, that I may have actually
been affected by this (although it would definitely have been a
purchasing decision since it impacted my intended use, although I never
did get around to finishing that product)

So what do I get? What's their punishment? They're giving me a
discount off of a replacement product. So in order to be compensated
for the fact that they sold me a product that did not live up to their
marketing department's claims, they want me to buy something else?

I feel that it's appropriate that I should be forced to offer a refund
OR a completely free replacement product (with or without the original
being returned, their choice, and at their expense), anything less and I
still feel shafted.

As it is, I'm no longer using the product anyway, I've already purchased
a replacement, so I'll probably use the discount against something I
don't need, but something I can sell

--
Next on FOX, all new REALITY SHOW promises to be a hit:
"STOP A BULLET WITH YOUR HEAD"
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:26 PM
GoldenWoman64

Wonder how many people will file for a piece of the $75 million who was
not even on the airplane or even in Canada.

Old August 10th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Brian

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:22:27 -0600, DevilsPGD
wrote:

[...]

But that might have cut into the fees the company would agree to pay
the lawyers.
Old August 10th, 2005, 05:02 AM
DevilsPGD

In message Brian
wrote:

But that might have cut into the fees the company would agree to pay
the lawyers.

Alas, true enough.

--
"Gee, Bill what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night Steve. Try to take over the world!"
Old August 10th, 2005, 05:02 AM
DevilsPGD

In message Brian
wrote:

I remember a case here where more than 100 people claimed to be on a
bus that was involved in an accident. Might be harder to pull off with
a plane though although there may well suits filed claiming
psychological trauma from witnessing the accident while driving by on
that expressway.

Or people that saw it on the news. Hell, I'm pretty sure I've been
scarred just by reading this thread about the crash -- If they'd never
crashed then I'd be doing something product right now like working.