Teaching english in Europe with no degree but TEFL certificate?

Old January 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Teaching english in Europe with no degree but TEFLcertificate?

Tim C. writes:

Why would a soul choose to inhabit a body it knew wouldn't live long?

It might still be useful experience.

Do they get points for the number of bodies the have used and get a better
deal come judgment day?

Nobody is keeping score, and there is no Judgement Day.

Old January 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Tim C. writes:

So? How do you reconcile the two opposing points of view?

They do not conflict.

Old January 19th, 2006, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mister Bartlett writes:

Does metaphysics only apply in certain circumstances, then?

It applies at all times and in all situations ... like quantum
mechanics. However--again like quantum mechanics--it can be ignored
in many everyday situations.

Old January 19th, 2006, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Timothy Kroesen writes:

Then why make a hodge-podge personal one up to service your mind's
questions regarding 'the infinite'?

I don't know--why?

Old January 19th, 2006, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Timothy Kroesen writes:

Brainwaves are a physical real world manifestation of thought, even
dreams.

Many people assume that, but there is no proof of this. It is
conjecture. Furthermore, no observation can explain the _experience_
of consciousness.

They are *routinely* used to gauge 'level of consciousness' in
a clinical and scientific setting.

But level of consciousness in a biological sense has nothing to do
with the metaphysical reality of consciousness.

Consciousness *is* plainly observable... what's this "automaton" crap
now you throw into the mixy???

Explain how you can tell the difference between a conscious entity and
an unconscious machine solely through observation.

Old January 19th, 2006, 07:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Timothy Kroesen writes:

So... are there inherently evil and good soul???

No.

Old January 19th, 2006, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mister Bartlett writes:

How do you know - have you seen evidence against it?

I've seen no evidence either way, and it is not necessary to assume
its existence in order to explain anything.

Old January 19th, 2006, 08:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Martin writes:

but not the best. If it's the best payer make a career change.

The only other career I'm demonstrably qualified for is not hiring.

So try something else. Whatever you claim to be qualified for you certainly
isn't working.

JohnT

Old January 19th, 2006, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Carole Allen writes:

Wait a minute! YOU made YOUR choice of parents?

Yes.

Some months back in
disucssing cultural pride you went on about how people had no choice
about how or when or to whom they were born, so taking pride in one's
ethnic/cultural background was foolish.

I wasn't discussing metaphysics then.

So you have changed your mind about that?

JohnT

Old January 19th, 2006, 08:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Timothy Kroesen writes:

Since brainwaves can be observed and classified; the states of human
consciousness can and are both observable and classifiable.

Brainwaves are not consciousness; they are simply brainwaves.
Consciousness is experienced, not observed. There is no way to prove
through observation alone whether an entity is truly conscious or is
simply an automaton simulating the typical behavior of a conscious
entity.

Did you use the random buzzword generator to compose the above response?

JohnT