Galileo Ouput -- How to read?

Old September 9th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Graham Harrison

Default Galileo Ouput -- How to read?

Reading across the line:

1 CVG LGW 1900#0805 DL 36 J7 D7 I0 Y7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 K7 L7#763*C

1 = Line number - the actual Galileo display has several lines, each
numbered
CVG = Cincinnati (Departure point)
LGW = London Gatwick (Arrival Point)
DL36 = Flight number
1900 = Departure Time
# = indicator to say arrives the day after it departs (overnight flight)
0805 = Arrival Time (NB all times re local to the city so that 1900 in
Cincinnati, 0805 in Gatwick with a time change in between)
DL = the marketing carrier for the flight (Delta)
36 = The flight number allocated by the marketing carrier
Skip the letters and numbers for a moment
# = there are actually more letters and numbers
763=aircraft type (Boeing 767-300)
*C = the type of connection that Galileo has with this airline

OK, the letters and numbers. The letter is the class code. Don't run
away with the idea that there are that many different classes on the plane.
There are probably 2 - business and coach. I don't know Delta codes
intimately but my guess is J is business full fare, D is business restricted
(e.g. stay Saturday night or book X days in advance or....) and I is
Industry tickets. Similarly Y, B etc represent different fare types in
economy class.

The number represents the number of seats available to sell in one
transaction. Depending on a number of factors including the communications
links in use and the capability of the airline computer this number will
generally vary between 2 and 9. In the case of Delta 7 means there are at
least 7 seats available for sale in a single transaction. The total number
of seats available may be way more than 7 or exactly seven. When the
number is less than 7, right down to 1 and zero, it represents the actual
number of seats available. And don't just add up all those 7s to work out
how many seats are actually available. I was looking at a flight on a
different airline today and it had 5s all the way across. The flight was
for tomorrow and I'm willing to bet that there were actually 5 seats
available for sale and if you took one from any of those class codes it
would have reduced all the others to 4 as well. A few airlines use letters
instead of numbers A=Available, C=Closed, L =Waitlist. In which case the
line might read:

1 CVG LGW 1900#0805 DL 36 JA DA IC YA BA MA HA QA KA LA#763*C

And note that I've been saying "available for sale" this is a reference to
the black arts of yield control and overbooking (whereby the airline sells
more seats than there are actually on the aircraft).

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam

Old September 10th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Harsh Potlapalli

Default Galileo Ouput -- How to read? Thanks for all the info

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message ...
Reading across the line:

1 CVG LGW 1900#0805 DL 36 J7 D7 I0 Y7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 K7 L7#763*C

Thanks to all who replied, now I can make sense of this line.
Appreciate you all taking the time to help me out.

Sincerely,
-Harsh