Visit to Southern Texas in April, advice required

Old January 27th, 2004, 11:56 AM
SteveQ

Default Visit to Southern Texas in April, advice required

My family and I, including two three year old children are visiting
South Texas (landing in Houston) on 02 April 04, for two weeks,
including Easter. Other than visiting family in McAllen and Monterey,
we are completely open to suggestions. Baring in mind the
concentration span of two three year olds we are looking for comments,
suggestions, and advice on our plans.

Although I have read a couple of guide books, it's difficult to work
out what is achievable or a priority in the amount of time available.

Also, what kind of weather should we expect (pack for) at this time of
year?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Steve
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:01 PM
dadand1

"SteveQ" wrote in message
om...
My family and I, including two three year old children are visiting
South Texas (landing in Houston) on 02 April 04, for two weeks,
including Easter. Other than visiting family in McAllen and Monterey,
we are completely open to suggestions. Baring in mind the
concentration span of two three year olds we are looking for comments,
suggestions, and advice on our plans.

Although I have read a couple of guide books, it's difficult to work
out what is achievable or a priority in the amount of time available.

Also, what kind of weather should we expect (pack for) at this time of
year?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Steve

I can't speak for very young children,but Johnson Space Center completely
blew me away. I was ready to give them every dime of my tax dollar I pay. My
son enjoyed it as well, but he was 10 or 11 at the time. I have visited my
parents in McAllen a few times while they still lived there. There isn't
much. Highlights were the trips to Mexico (when prices were still cheap).
The place seems really geared towards the "snowbirds" that spend their
retirement winters there. On our drive back to McAllen from Houston we
stopped in Galveston Island for a night and spent a half day goofing around
on the beach. We also stopped around Corpus Christi to play on the beach of
Padre Island for a day.
Can't help with the weather as we were there over Christmas break. You could
do a web page search on the area you are interested in and usually find
historical weather information.

Old January 27th, 2004, 05:01 PM
MTV

SteveQ wrote:

My family and I, including two three year old children are visiting
South Texas (landing in Houston) on 02 April 04, for two weeks,
including Easter. Other than visiting family in McAllen and Monterey,
we are completely open to suggestions. Baring in mind the
concentration span of two three year olds we are looking for comments,
suggestions, and advice on our plans.

Although I have read a couple of guide books, it's difficult to work
out what is achievable or a priority in the amount of time available.

Also, what kind of weather should we expect (pack for) at this time of
year?

70's and very nice. Wild flowers everywhere. Bluebonnets and Indian Paint
Brush will still be in bloom - the state Hwy Dept doesn't start mowing
along highways until after they're gone. For Texas info, including free
tour guide and maps:
http://www.state.tx.us/

Your children are too young for much sightseeing, but I'd second the
suggestion about Space Center Houston at NASA's JSC. Also in Houston in the
Museum District is the Children's Museum and Museum of Medical Science next
door, and the Museum of Natural Science - butterfly atrium, dinosaurs and
IMAX, and nearby the Houston Zoo. For yourselves there are the two bldgs of
the Museum of Fine Arts and Astros baseball. See:
http://www.houston-guide.com/guide/index.html

In Galveston we like the 1/2 day boat tour of the harbor - one in the
morning is billed especially to see dolphins. There's also a 2 hr tram tour
that leaves from the convention center that's full of history. And there's
shopping on The Stand near the cruise ship docks.

It's a day's drive from IAH to McAllen but good 4-lane hwy except 2-lane
going through the King Ranch.

You should have a good time.

Marv

Old January 27th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Frank F. Matthews

I would skip Galveston completely. If you want a beach experience stop
by Padre Island to or from the valley. You might also consider a circle
trip. Houston -- Corpus -- McAllen -- Larado -- San Antonio & hill
country -- Houston. With kids I'd call Houston -- McAllen way more than
1 days drive. Also if you are taking a rental car I don't know the
complexity of going to Monterey but check carefully.

When driving I'd suggest that most of the small cities you go thru have
a city park. A few minutes finding it and running the kids for a while
may be well spent even if it slows you.

If you like butterflies or birds there are some wonderful experiences in
the valley & northern Mexico. For that matter birding may be an excuse
to visit Galveston. FFM

Old January 28th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Nick

(SteveQ) wrote in message . com...
My family and I, including two three year old children are visiting
South Texas (landing in Houston) on 02 April 04, for two weeks,
including Easter. Other than visiting family in McAllen and Monterey,
we are completely open to suggestions. Baring in mind the
concentration span of two three year olds we are looking for comments,
suggestions, and advice on our plans.

Although I have read a couple of guide books, it's difficult to work
out what is achievable or a priority in the amount of time available.

Also, what kind of weather should we expect (pack for) at this time of
year?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Steve

Hi Steve,
I live down in the Valley and here are some pictures of the area for
you to look at:
http://www.southtexasfilm.com/locations.htm

South Padre Island is one of the top 10 beaches in the US, so don't
forget to make a stop there. Your kids would like Gladys Porter Zoo in
Brownsville (one of the top zoos in the country) and the animals are
not in cages, they are surrounded by a moat. There's also a
professional hockey team nearby Mcallen known as the KILLER BEES and
there are plenty of minor-league baseball teams around that will start
their training in April. Your kids may like visiting the Laguna
Atascosa Wildlife Refuge which currently holds the record for the
number of different bird species you can spot in one day. This is just
outside Harlingen which is east of McAllen.

Be sure to stop at the Texas Tourist Center in Harlingen for the
laundry list of things to do. You can pick up brochures, maps, and
guidebooks--all for free.

Have fun!