Anyone ever been to Vera Cruz?

Old September 30th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Jay

Default Anyone ever been to Vera Cruz?

We will be visiting Vera Cruz as part of a forthcoming cruise on the
Oosterdam. This stop seems to be not on many, if any, other
iteneraries. Anyone have any ideas on what to do there?

Thanks

Jay

Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:44 PM
Jay

Pablo wrote:
Nothing

"Jay" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

We will be visiting Vera Cruz as part of a forthcoming cruise on the
Oosterdam. This stop seems to be not on many, if any, other
iteneraries. Anyone have any ideas on what to do there?

Thanks

Jay

"Thank u" for the concise and totally useless reponse.

Old October 3rd, 2003, 03:01 PM
Pablo

Jay;

Notice how many responses to your post. JUST MAYBE there's a reason for
this, like there's NOTHING to do!

e.rogers.com...

Old October 3rd, 2003, 10:50 PM
Charles

In article , Pablo
wrote:

Notice how many responses to your post. JUST MAYBE there's a reason for
this, like there's NOTHING to do!

Or it could be that since very few ships stop there no one has the
answer. I read one review somewhere that was positive, another review
that was negative of Vera Cruz. I suggest reading a Mexico guidebook.

--
Charles
Old October 4th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Pablo

Charles;

I've been there probably 2 dz times on business, the beaches are hard and
dirty, there's no interesting jungle, no interesting ruins, its a major port
city for Mexico, definately 1st world-3rd world social-economic environment.
Expect to see the normal band of gypsie street "hawkers", tee shirts,
silver, semi-precious, native arts, etc ( probably made in China). You will
not leave Vera Cruz and tell friends , or for that matter enemies, that
you're going to hurry home and book on an Aero-Mexico flight so you can get
back to VC and spend more quality time.

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old October 4th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Charles

In article , Pablo
wrote:

I've been there probably 2 dz times on business, the beaches are hard and
dirty, there's no interesting jungle, no interesting ruins, its a major port
city for Mexico, definately 1st world-3rd world social-economic environment.

Now that is the response you should have posted in the first place!!!
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good place to stay on the ship if it
docks at Vera Cruz.

--
Charles
Old October 6th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Pablo

I'd like to hear someone elses take, but you and I are the only people to
respond. Back to my earlier point ;-}

Paul
"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old October 7th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Kenneth Graham

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:01:57 GMT, Jay wrote:

We will be visiting Vera Cruz as part of a forthcoming cruise on the
Oosterdam. This stop seems to be not on many, if any, other
iteneraries. Anyone have any ideas on what to do there?

Thanks

Jay

Skipping past the useless banter and getting back to your original
question. Vera Cruz is one of the most important shipping ports on the
Gulf side of Mexico. As such, it is a very busy working city and the
tourist trade is minimal and geared to Mexican tourists. That said,
there are several very worthwhile places to go in Vera Cruz.

The fortress of San Juan de Uloa (there are several spellings of this)
is still standing. This was the fortress erected to protect the
Spanish treasures plundered from the Americas. All of the gold that
flowed to Spain from Mexico flowed through this fortress. It was also
the seat of the Spanish Inquisition. If you take the tour (and you
have a good guide) you can see the chambers where the inquisitioners
shackled the prisoners to the walls so that the water could drip on
them and drive them mad. There is also the chamber of perfect
acoustics. There is a spot in this one chamber where you can literally
hear a whisper from across the room (and it is a BIG room). We were
fortunate enough to have a guide that had a magnificent voice and when
he stood in that spot and sang Ave Maria you swore that there were
angels singing inside your head. It was magnificent.

Our tour also stopped at a hotel beach, sorry I don't remember the
name, which was beautiful. Very fine white sand, clean blue water,
huge margaritas. A very nice stop.

The aquarium also received good reviews. We did not make it there, but
a number of other people on our cruise did.

The last cruise ship to park at Vera Cruz was Premier's Big Red Boat
III. We were on the next to last cruise for that ship (it was
repossessed in Cozumel on the next voyage) and I will always have a
warm spot for Vera Cruz. It is not a tourist mecca like Coz or Caymen
but it has an incredibly rich history, beginning with Cortez and his
conquest of Mexico. I envy you. Unless you are very fluent in Spanish
I would suggest a city tour, but go with an open mind. We found it to
be a very interesting place.

It is good to see another cruise line is at least trying Vera Cruz
again. It gives me hope that I'll get back there again.

ken