PLS HELP: use of tickets with connection

Old September 26th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Hatunen

Default PLS HELP: use of tickets with connection

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:28:42 GMT, "devil"
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:22:39 -0600, Hatunen wrote:

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:35:24 -0700, "Peter L"
wrote:

I am quite sure no one can toss an earlier segment and still have later
segments honored. But I don't see any ethnical problem with tossing the
last segment of a ticket.

Only if one is an ethnic.

(I couldn't resist)

I feel pretty much the same but I remain aware that it is a
violation of the contract and therefore bears a taint of lack of
ethics.

Violation of the letter of the contract. But when the "contract" is pure
blackmail (i.e., "these are my rules, if you don't like them, go get
lost"), I would expect the courts would tend to be sympathetic to the
small guy. At least if there is some ground for interpretation.

I'm not disagreeing with you. And, for that matter, you're not
disagreeing with me.

Old September 26th, 2003, 05:33 AM
devil

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:55:47 +0000, mrtravel wrote:

devil wrote:

Violation of the letter of the contract. But when the "contract" is pure
blackmail (i.e., "these are my rules, if you don't like them, go get
lost"), I would expect the courts would tend to be sympathetic to the
small guy. At least if there is some ground for interpretation.

They don't say "if you don't like them, get lost".
They say "if you want a discounted ticket, you agree to these restrictions".

They don't force you to buy a discounted ticket.

But that's not my point. They impose *their* rules on you. And these
rules are an artificial construct strictly for the sake of market
segmentation.

With a few exceptions, it's not that the rules make it cheaper for them to
bring you there, it's merely that they expect you'll be prepared to pay
more.

Such as, if it comes from a business account, then we are dealing with
deeper pockets and we should be able to grab more. So let's invent
artificial rules that will allow us to do that.

(Mind you, I am not advocating low fare airlines. I am actually willing
to pay more for better service. But grabbing more money simply on the
basis that you'll pay is something else. The business model increasingly
looks like it's flawed.)

Old September 26th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Bert Amada

Considering the terrorism that is going on all over the world, and the
increased security checks at airports, it would be very foolish to try
to play games with I.D.'s for the sake of saving a few bucks! Just
visualize the time, flights, and other reservations lost, while sitting
in an interrogation room, trying to explain the duplicity.

B.A.

Please note: To avoid spam, all email to my Hotmail address (above) is
automatically trashed. If you wish to send me an email, kindly say so in
a post, before attempting to send the mail. I will notify you when my
line is open to you.

Old September 26th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Roland Perry

In message , mrtravel
writes
1. Buy a round trip ticket SFO-ORD-MIA-ORD-SFO
2. Skip the SFO-ORD flight
3. Try boarding in ORD for the flight to MIA

So, if they don't let you board, are you going to sue?

I would get extremely cross if, for example, my appointment in MIA was
cancelled while I was en-route, and I decided to overnight in ORD rather
than suffer what would amount to "false imprisonment" in flying to MIA
and back for no reason.
--
Roland Perry
Old September 26th, 2003, 08:02 PM
mrtravel

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , mrtravel
writes

1. Buy a round trip ticket SFO-ORD-MIA-ORD-SFO
2. Skip the SFO-ORD flight
3. Try boarding in ORD for the flight to MIA

So, if they don't let you board, are you going to sue?

I would get extremely cross if, for example, my appointment in MIA was
cancelled while I was en-route, and I decided to overnight in ORD rather
than suffer what would amount to "false imprisonment" in flying to MIA
and back for no reason.

It's not "false imprisonment". If you chose to not follow the rules of
the ticket, the ticket becomes invalid and you are free to buy another
one. Follow the contract or face the penalties. It's like working. It's
not "false imprisonment" if you don't want to leave because you will
lose financially if you do.

Old September 26th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Roland Perry

In message , mrtravel
writes
If you chose to not follow the rules of the ticket, the ticket becomes
invalid and you are free to buy another one. Follow the contract or
face the penalties.

It's totally bizarre that the airline would want to incur the
unnecessary extra cost of flying me.
--
Roland Perry
Old September 28th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:10:56 +0100 Roland Perry wrote:

:In message , mrtravel
writes

:If you chose to not follow the rules of the ticket, the ticket becomes
:invalid and you are free to buy another one. Follow the contract or
:face the penalties.

:It's totally bizarre that the airline would want to incur the
:unnecessary extra cost of flying me.

Several years ago I had a VUSA (on American I believe) where my appointment in
San Francisco was canceled (I was in Chicago). I rescheduled the flights so
that I arrived in the afternoon and flew out that night. I wanted to see the
city and I wanted the FF miles.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old September 29th, 2003, 01:18 PM
me

wrote:

I am quite sure no one can toss an earlier segment and still have later
segments honored. But I don't see any ethnical problem with tossing the
last segment of a ticket.

Only if one is an ethnic.

(I couldn't resist)

I feel pretty much the same but I remain aware that it is a
violation of the contract and therefore bears a taint of lack of
ethics.

"violating" contracts is not unethical. It ain't illegal either.
There are consequences, and it isn't always a really good idea, but
businesses do it all the time, and frequently have the terms and
conditions of doing so written right into the contracts themselves.
What is "unethical" about this is, and is in business as well,
is entering into the contract with the intention of violating it.
I think the usual expression is "good faith effort". I think,
IIRC, that entering a contract with no intent of executing a "good
faith effort" to comply with it _IS_ illegal.
Old September 29th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Hatunen

wrote:

I am quite sure no one can toss an earlier segment and still have later
segments honored. But I don't see any ethnical problem with tossing the
last segment of a ticket.

Only if one is an ethnic.

(I couldn't resist)

I feel pretty much the same but I remain aware that it is a
violation of the contract and therefore bears a taint of lack of
ethics.

"violating" contracts is not unethical. It ain't illegal either.

Not in the sense of being a violation of criminal law. Wheterh
"illegal" is the proper term for violating a contract I leave to
philosophers.

There are consequences, and it isn't always a really good idea, but
businesses do it all the time, and frequently have the terms and
conditions of doing so written right into the contracts themselves.

Um. If the terms and conditions for violating the contract are
written into the contract, then it isn't a violation at all to
exercise them.

What is "unethical" about this is, and is in business as well,
is entering into the contract with the intention of violating it.

Sure. And so is deciding after the fact that you didn't really
mean it when you signed the contract.

I think the usual expression is "good faith effort". I think,
IIRC, that entering a contract with no intent of executing a "good
faith effort" to comply with it _IS_ illegal.

It can be fraud, civil or criminal.