What is the status of travel in Egypt?

Old November 29th, 2009, 06:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lao Ming

Default What is the status of travel in Egypt?

Has anyone been to Egypt in the last year or so? Mostly, I'd like to
know if the police state instituted to protect tourists has changed at
all.

I've travelled extensively (although I probably pale compared to most
on this ng since I''ve travelled very little in the Third World) but
I've never travelled with a tour group. What are the difficulties in
doing so (without a tour) in a place like Egypt? (How does one get
from Cairo to Saqqara or Dahshur for example?) Mostly, I am interested
only in Cairo and Luxor and possibly Edfu and Abu Simbel. Thanks a
bunch.
Old November 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Lao Ming" wrote in message

I've never travelled with a tour group. What are the difficulties in
doing so (without a tour) in a place like Egypt? (How does one get
from Cairo to Saqqara or Dahshur for example?) Mostly, I am interested
only in Cairo and Luxor and possibly Edfu and Abu Simbel.

We went to Luxor in October. Not sure what you mean by a 'tour group' - is
that an American concept? We went on a package holiday with the tour
operator Kuoni, but were left to our own devices once there. Happy to help
if you can ask some more specific questions.

Ian

Old November 30th, 2009, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lao Ming

On Nov 29, 7:37*am, "Ian F." wrote:
"Lao Ming" wrote in message

I've never travelled with a tour group. *What are the difficulties in
doing so (without a tour) in a place like Egypt? (How does one get
from Cairo to Saqqara or Dahshur for example?) Mostly, I am interested
only in Cairo and Luxor and possibly Edfu and Abu Simbel.

We went to Luxor in October. Not sure what you mean by a 'tour group' - is
that an American concept? We went on a package holiday with the tour
operator Kuoni, but were left to our own devices once there. Happy to help
if you can ask some more specific questions.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Since I've never been on a tour group, I could be somewhat inaccurate
in my description but I think they map out the entire itinerary for
you. For example, you go to the Valley of the Kings with, say, 40
people on a bus and depart an hour later or so with those same 40
people on the bus. You can't stay at any one spot at your own leisure
-- I don't think I could possibly endure it -- certainly not in Egypt.

Okay, I have specific questions. On this webpage:

http://iguide.travel/Luxor/West_Bank...g_Around/Taxi#

it states that an East Bank taxi will cost 300 LE and and East Bank
taxi will cost 150-250 LE. But since 300 LE is equivalent to about US
$54, is that for the entire day? That seems rather expensive when a 7-
day subway pass in Rome is only 16 Euro. I ask this because the same
webpage states later that "a return trip to a particular site the
price should not be more than LE100 for a minibus that takes up to 9
people." Anyway, if you could clear this up, I'd really appreciate
it.

Also, since most hotels on the East Bank are going to be within
walking distance to either Karnak or the Luxor Temple, why would
anyone pay 300 LE to get around there (unless the sun was
unbearable)? Are these taxis mostly still horse-drawn?

Thanks a bunch.

Lao-Ming

Old December 1st, 2009, 09:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

[...]

++++++++++++++

Lao-Ming, really sorry but very busy today. Will try to answer the questions
when I can, but in the meantime you may find the TripAdvisor website
helpful, and in particular the Luxor forum. Everyone there is really
helpful. Try posting exactly what you have said here and see what they say.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowFor...er_Valley.html

Ian

Old December 1st, 2009, 11:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_2_]

On 30 Nov, 20:13, Lao Ming wrote:
On Nov 29, 7:37 am, "Ian F." wrote:

"Lao Ming" wrote in message

[...]

Karnak is quite a walk from Luxor. The heat does often preclude this.
Many 'car' taxis always available. The horse-drawn carriages are only
there for novelty, but bargaining (do always do that!) can bring them
down to car taxi prices and they are very pleasurable.
As above, far better to arrange your own taxi/ferry and spend all time
you want wherever. The conducted tours are very 'swift' and also
include much time wasting at the inevitable papyrus shops etc.!
Depending on the depth of your interest, Karnak can easily take a full
day at the very least, and several returns to the west bank would be
necessary.
And don't forget all the many nearby temples, etc. - Dendera is one of
our favourites. See others between Luxor and Aswan (our favourite Nile
city).
Flights available for 'quickie' trips to Abu.
I don't know today's prices, but up to a few years back all transport
and guides (again, far better than conducted tour people) were
relatively low cost.

Surreyman
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Surreyman" wrote in message
On 30 Nov, 20:13, Lao Ming wrote:
On Nov 29, 7:37 am, "Ian F." wrote:

"Lao Ming" wrote in message

[...]

I'm with Lao Ming, I don't understand the comment on the web page that he
indicated either.

Even if "Karnak is quite a walk from Luxor", the fact that it is indeed
walkable must be that it's short of 5km.

And given your comment (that I snipped) that the temple could take all day
to look round, why would someone possibly want to hire a taxi by the day, to
sit waiting for most of it, when you could (presumably) easily take a taxi
to the site and then pick up another to return in when you have finished?

tim

Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lao Ming

On Dec 1, 3:22*am, Surreyman wrote:
On 30 Nov, 20:13, Lao Ming wrote:

On Nov 29, 7:37 am, "Ian F." wrote:

"Lao Ming" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, what I'd like to know the most is the status of the police
escorts? According to what I've been told, Egypt was unfortunately
kind of like a police state. Is this still true?
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_2_]

On 30 Nov, 20:13, Lao Ming wrote:

On Nov 29, 7:37 am, "Ian F." wrote:

"Lao Ming" wrote in message

[...]

kind of like a police state. *Is this still true?- Hide quoted text -

Hardly a police state - simply providing tourist police for extra
protection. They were instituted after the Valley of Kings massacre
some 10 years back now. All is pretty calm currently.

Longer conducted tours - say, Luxor to Aswan - will drive in road
convoys with police or military protection.
Nile boats will have machine gun posts at front & rear of boats.
Other coach tours will have a tourist cop in the front seat.

Nowt to worry about - I'd rather have them there than not!

Surreyman
Old December 2nd, 2009, 12:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Surreyman" wrote in message
On 2 Dec, 03:32, Lao Ming wrote:
On Dec 1, 3:22 am, Surreyman wrote:

Hardly a police state - simply providing tourist police for extra
protection. They were instituted after the Valley of Kings massacre
some 10 years back now. All is pretty calm currently.

Longer conducted tours - say, Luxor to Aswan - will drive in road
convoys with police or military protection.
Nile boats will have machine gun posts at front & rear of boats.
Other coach tours will have a tourist cop in the front seat.

Jeeze, is this really what happens? There was me thinking you could just
make your own way between sites.

tim