THe Carnival family of cruise lines

Old March 11th, 2009, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff Gersten

Default THe Carnival family of cruise lines

In the summer of 2007, we sailed on the Star Princess on a Baltic
cruise.

In 2008, when we attended a cruise expo in a neighboring county, the
Carnival representative told me that because of that we would be
eligible for discounts from all of the cruise lines owned by Carnival.
When I spoke to the representative from HAL, he said no, you only got
discounts on HAL if you were a past HAL customer.

Later in 2008, we took a short Canada maritime cruise on Carnival. When
I asked our TA about any past cruiser discount, he said no there was not
one for having been on another Carnival line.

We again went to the annual cruise expo this year on the Sunday before
the Super Bowl. My wife picked up Europe brochures from Carnival,
Celebrity, RCL, and Norwegian. We did not bother to pick up any
brochures from HAL (or Disney).

She had wanted a cruise with Athens this year, but we were finding it
hard to find a cruise that fit our schedule and budget. There was a
Carnival itinerary she liked, but I pointed out that they had pulled
there ships from Europe. There was a pricey RCL cruise and a pricey
Princess cruise (though that one's price came down with the 2 for 1
offer, but was more days than she wanted.)

And then we got a mailing from HAL with a VIP ID# with a great price for
a 10 day cruise. The prices were pre-summer, but when we checked our
TA's site on line, the prices were the same later on. (She's a teacher,
so can not cruise earlier.) In fact our TA even beat their listed price.
Our TA said that number even meant we would be invited to the HAL past
cruiser party on board. (I'll wait to see if that really happens.)

And yesterday we got a mailing from Costa that specifically offered us
discounts on European cruises as past Princess cruisers.

So, has Carnival extended more discounts between lines for those of us
who have used any of their lines? Or, was this something they always
did?

Old March 14th, 2009, 03:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff[_8_]

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 18:07:27 -0400, (Jeff
Gersten) wrote:

Are they now in this time of economic recession offering MORE
of these deals to past cruisers from other Carnival lines?

Hi Jeff,

IMO,there are more deals of every kind now than at any previous time.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
--

You think more deals now than the post 9/11 period? I'd be curious
about the professional opinions of the TAs on board here. The deals are

Jeff

Old March 14th, 2009, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Jeff" wrote

You think more deals now than the post 9/11 period? I'd be curious about
the professional opinions of the TAs on board here. The deals are looking
good to me, but I still think post 9/11 was better. We sailed in sky
suites for nothin back then! Well almost.

Kind of both. There were lower fares after 9/11... everything was on sale
and I do mean everything.

Now, fares haven't dropped as much but there are more promotions... and
they are more specific. Sailings might have great prices on inside cabins
but not-so-great pricing on balconies. Past passengers may be targeted
more. What used to be a one day Flash sale is now good for a week.

Marketing and yield management has had 8 years to develop and refine
marketing strategies for times like this.

And... in a new wrinkle, I hear that some cruise lines are willing to accept
a few empty cabins rather than have to lower the fares further. They are
taking a long term look that selling at fire sale prices decreases the
perceived value of the cruise product.

We live in interesting times.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

Cruise Specials Weblog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/

May 10, 2009 ALASKA http://www.cruisemaster.com/moagc4.htm
January 10, 2009 Southern Caribbean
http://www.cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 16, 2010 OASIS http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com

Old March 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff[_8_]

George Leppla wrote:

"Jeff" wrote

[...]

Very interesting George, thanks. I am glad they are trying to protect
value and not absolutely fill every ship by discounting, I agree that
tends to hurt the product over the long run. But there are some very
good bargains out there for sure!

Jeff

Old March 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 16:56:27 +0100, p erlenbach
wrote:

Is it
reasonable to assume that, because of this, "yield management" systems will
not start strongly discounting cabin prices until three months before
departure? After 9/11 where discounts available even for departures much
further away?

Hi,

FWIW, we are seeing heavy discounting for later this year and for next
year especially at the premium and luxury lines.

Old March 14th, 2009, 04:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_3_]

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:27:52 -0500, George Leppla wrote:

We live in interesting times.

As opposed to when times weren't interesting? When was that?
--
Think first! Before you book a cruise from a two bit lying sleazeball
who uses Usenet as free SPAMADVERTISING ground and for purposeful