Road Trip

Old January 28th, 2008, 04:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Road Trip

I'm growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
Let those winds of time blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy
Buffett)

Buffett was playing as I headed down the road at seventy miles per
hour. I was on my middle age road trip, somewhere between the North
Carolina line and Nashville. The last time I had taken this route was
in 2001, just before I went to live in Japan. Now it's four years
later, and I realize I have not grown up that much.

My kid has. He's nearly twice his age. He's nearly twice the size. Me,
I am a middle age guy who still likes cheap hotels, country music, and
riding the road with my radio blasting. It may not be head-banger
music, but it has rhythm, and soul, and a touch of southern twang.

The last time I took this trip, I called my old friend Brent in
Nashville, and we met up for some bluegrass at The Station Inn like we
always have. Brent is one of those guys who went to Nashville after
college, and hasn't left. He has even managed to make a few bucks, and
has continued to make his living off of the music business. When you
think about the number of talented folks that come and go in Nashville
every year, he is a living miracle. A middle-aged guy who makes his
living in the music business. Dang.

This time, I didn't call Brent. I didn't have his number and I had a
full schedule, and wasn't sure that he would have the time. Then, lo
and behold, while buying some Elvis postcards at the Ryman Auditorium
during intermission of the Bela Fleck concert, who comes up and

http://www.dontplayplay.com/html/Hum...929/25504.html

Old January 28th, 2008, 06:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:54:52 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Are you Mike Stanton-Rich? He seems to be the author of this. Or
are you just stealing othr peoples stuff? You seem to do a lot of
it.