Foreign students' visa costs rise

Old February 8th, 2005, 01:42 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Default Foreign students' visa costs rise

I think this has some r.t.e relevance, as there have been posts from
students. I think this is pretty outrageous, actually- and might be
counterproductive, given that UK universities _have_ to recruit more
non-EU students (who pay higher fees) to balance their books.

I wonder what other EU states charge, if anything?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4244627.stm

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Finland = free for all who can get in.

I really have no idea as to how they get in as there is supposed to be
tough entrance exams in Finnish, (and news today said there are mental
problems for 1/3 of the female students in the unis (there are more
females than males), in my personal opinion that is because of the
studying 3-6 books just to get in to a uni: nobody does that unless
they are nuts to begin with, staying at home studying for several
months for most subjects (not all: languages, psychology, maths anyone
can get in as long as they know the subject, no studying needed), the
questions in the entrance exams usually have no relevance as to how
important a topic in the books they are but questions to find out if
they really memorized the whole book, but that is only my opinion) but
there are foreign students in addition to the exchange students,
somewhere it said a couple of years ago that compared to the population
there is most erasmus students in Finland.

Some are considering if there should be a price as the students who
study in Finland are usually not stupid enough to stay and work in
Finland.

Old February 8th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Mxsmanic

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn writes:

I wonder what other EU states charge, if anything?

I don't know, but the U.S. is in the same range. It keeps out all the
terrorists (since terrorists have no money), and it also keeps out all
the funny-looking Third Worlders who would otherwise be the ones getting
all the doctorates and Nobel Prizes.

Old February 8th, 2005, 10:06 PM

Mxsmanic wrote:

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn writes:

I wonder what other EU states charge, if anything?

I don't know, but the U.S. is in the same range.

No, it isn't.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old February 9th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Mxsmanic

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn writes:

No, it isn't.

It is according to the people who apply for visas every day on behalf of
students at my school. It was running around $600 last time I talked to
them. It is stopping a lot of students from going to the U.S.

Old February 9th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Alec

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn writes:

No, it isn't.

It is according to the people who apply for visas every day on behalf of
students at my school. It was running around $600 last time I talked to
them. It is stopping a lot of students from going to the U.S.

For Non-Immigrant US Visa, everyone pays a processing/application fee of
$100 (or local equivalent), and issue fee is sometimes charged depending on
nationality. It depends if a country has a mutual fee waiver agreement with
US or not. You can look up countries in
http://travel.state.gov/visa/recipro...try_pick.htm#J
Most nationalities have no issue fees, but some have as much as $200 (Nepal)
for F1 Student Visa (valid up to 5 years) or $150 (valid only 1 month - Dem
Rep of Congo).

Alec

Old February 9th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Mxsmanic wrote:

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn writes:

No, it isn't.

It is according to the people who apply for visas every day on behalf of
students at my school. It was running around $600 last time I talked to
them. It is stopping a lot of students from going to the U.S.

You really shouldn't believe the rubbish people tell you. It costs $100
(SEVIS fee) plus 80 Euros.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Alec wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn writes:

No, it isn't.

It is according to the people who apply for visas every day on behalf of
students at my school. It was running around $600 last time I talked to
them. It is stopping a lot of students from going to the U.S.

For Non-Immigrant US Visa, everyone pays a processing/application fee of
$100 (or local equivalent), and issue fee is sometimes charged depending on
nationality.

In addition, since 2004 there is a new, uh, homeland security fee, which
amounts to $100.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old February 9th, 2005, 06:57 PM
tim

"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn"
wrote in message
news:1grpqb7.9dba79cev5jvN%this_address_is_for_spa ...
Mxsmanic wrote:

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn writes:

No, it isn't.

It is according to the people who apply for visas every day on behalf of
students at my school. It was running around $600 last time I talked to
them. It is stopping a lot of students from going to the U.S.

You really shouldn't believe the rubbish people tell you. It costs $100
(SEVIS fee) plus 80 Euros.

and how are we supposed to be sure that your claim is better than
the other guys?

tim

Old February 9th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Mxsmanic wrote:

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn writes:

No, it isn't.

It is according to the people who apply for visas every day on behalf of
students at my school. It was running around $600 last time I talked to
them. It is stopping a lot of students from going to the U.S.

You really shouldn't believe the rubbish people tell you. It costs $100
(SEVIS fee) plus 80 Euros.

and how are we supposed to be sure that your claim is better than
the other guys?

Because I got it from the French US Embassy website. The information is
clearly posted there.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net