International Drivers License -- Do you really need one?

Old February 21st, 2007, 11:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Default International Drivers License -- Do you really need one?

Let is be knownst that on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:21:27 +0100, Martin
writted:

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 21:43:57 +0000, Gerald Oliver Swift
wrote:

My standard green (non-photo) UK licence has always been fine in THE most
backward of villages in Slovenia, Poland, Hungary ,Croatia, Serb & Monty,
Bos & Herz and Macedonia - and with car-hire companies in most (if not all)
of those countries. However, I do also have an IDP (International Driving
Permit - to give it its correct name) as a back-up - which has proved VERY
useful in Russia, Bulgaria and the Ukraine.

An IDP bears a photograph of the licensed driver together with driver
particulars written in 8 languages (English, Spanish, Italian, German,
Russian, Chinese, Arabic & Japanese). I purchase mine on-line from a
UK-based motoring organisation for a fiver (GBP 5.00). The cost is
negligible - but bear in mind, however, that an IDP is only valid for a
period of 12 months.

My advice, simply put, would be:-
For EU countries, if you're an EU citizen, you probably won't need one
For anywhere else, especially if you're not an EU citizen - GET ONE!

You don't need one in the USA and Australia.

Umm... what did you mean there?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 21:56:44 GMT, wrote:

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 21:43:57 +0000, Gerald Oliver Swift
wrote:

On 21 Feb 2007 12:06:17 -0800, PeterL wrote:

On Feb 21, 12:01 pm, wrote:
I think I have seen this debated here before but not for a couple of
years.

Are there any countries where you MUST have an International Drivers
License?

YES - An awful lot! See
http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp005.html

Has anybody had a situation where they had to show it to somebody who
would not accept their home drivers license?

YES. Several situations (see below).

Last I recall of the debate was that Nobody had first hand experience
of actually needing one but several people had heard of somebody who
knew somebody that actually had to produce it.

The other conclusion from the debate seemed to be that they are
relatively cheap and easy to get so why wouldn't you just get one?
Even if you never need it. That same arguement could probably be made
for a dog license even if you don't have a dog.

No. I don't need an international DL if I don't drive outside my home
country. But if I do I would definitely get one. What if someone
replies to you and says that no from personal experience you don't
need one, and there you are driving in some backward village in
Slovenia and the para military police don't accept your DL and fines
you $1,000 EUR? Who are you going to complain to then?

So, what is the current concensus and experience?

We will be driving in Germany, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Slovenia, Poland,
Hungary Croatia, Italy, Austria, France at least.

[...]

Regards
Gerry

Thanks Gerry,
Your IDP is the very same thing as our IDL available in Canada. And
about the same price.

It's good to know that there are some countries where it has been
useful. You are the first to make such a statement.

Gord

Make your own, not too difficult these days with good printer.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Vainglorious

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:40:46 +0100, Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

Just cover yourself at every conceivable point. The insurance
companies would look for any detail to argue over, and the police and
courts won't sympathise with you at all.

This is my attitude in many arenas of life. CYA - Cover Yer Ass.

Frankly, I wouldn't use a car for this type of trip at all, because
public transport is good in all those regions. Sure as heck it's gonna
be a lot cheaper!

When I travel in May, I will have the luxury of a free car. And I will
also have my IDL with me. It costs all of US$11.00 for one year.
That's a small price to pay to show my thoroughness in abiding the
laws of the countries I'm invading. It's one less "gotcha" for the
Polizei to use against me. And besides, having an IDL makes you a
measure cooler than people that don't have one.

- TR
- cool.

Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

wrote in message
I think I have seen this debated here before but not for a couple of
years.

Are there any countries where you MUST have an International Drivers
License?

Has anybody had a situation where they had to show it to somebody who
would not accept their home drivers license?

Last I recall of the debate was that Nobody had first hand experience
of actually needing one but several people had heard of somebody who
knew somebody that actually had to produce it.

The other conclusion from the debate seemed to be that they are
relatively cheap and easy to get so why wouldn't you just get one?
Even if you never need it. That same arguement could probably be made
for a dog license even if you don't have a dog.

So, what is the current concensus and experience?

The main value of the international driving permit is providing a
translation of your licence into many languages. In the event of becoming
involved with the Police, if you do not have a translation the local
language, you may be held while they check it is valid.

Colin Bignell

Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:01:05 GMT schrieb :

I think I have seen this debated here before but not for a couple of
years.

Are there any countries where you MUST have an International Drivers
License?

That depends where your licence was issued and what language it is on. When
I drive in Europe, I don't bother with international licence, but then
again I have a German licence, that already comes with basic translations
and is valid in all European countries. As it already has the things
printed on in english as well, I wouldn't expect any problems in most
countries worldwide.

The IDL is more or less just a translation and not valid on its own.

Just in some countries car rental-agencies might want to see an IDL.

Has anybody had a situation where they had to show it to somebody who
would not accept their home drivers license?

Only time I used it was in Jamaica with a rent car. Then I didn't even have
my nationel drivers licence with me in the car, so I showed the cops the
IDL, which was fine.

The other conclusion from the debate seemed to be that they are
relatively cheap and easy to get so why wouldn't you just get one?

Yes, but they are just valid for short time, 2 years IIRC.

We will be driving in Germany, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Slovenia, Poland,
Hungary Croatia, Italy, Austria, France at least.

If your licence is in english language, has a photo in it, looks somewhat
"official", you shouldn't encounter any problems in these countries, as
cops will understand basic english.

If you intend to tour South America, China or Russia, I would maybe think
about an IDL.

Regards,

Frank
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:01:05 GMT, wrote:

I think I have seen this debated here before but not for a couple of
years.

Are there any countries where you MUST have an International Drivers
License?

Has anybody had a situation where they had to show it to somebody who
would not accept their home drivers license?

Last I recall of the debate was that Nobody had first hand experience
of actually needing one but several people had heard of somebody who
knew somebody that actually had to produce it.

According to Italian law, you need either an international license or
an official translation of your own license into Italian *unless*
there is an accord between your country and Italy (or the EU). This is
not likely to happen soon with the US, as there are 50 different
states with different licensing laws.

I had an international license for a year after moving to Italy. The
local police were unanimous in saying that after it expired, I
couldn't drive until I got my Italian license, even if I still had a
valid US license, of which the international license was an accurate
translation.

I showed it once, at a routine road stop. Perhaps if I hadn't had it,
they would have let me off, I don't know. It was in my own town, and
surely the police officer knew my husband, even if he didn't know me.

Once, after this came up in the newsgroup, I was stopped again for a
routine document check. By this time I had an Italian license. I told
the officer that I had an American friend who wanted to drive in Italy
and didn't think the international license was really necessary. He
told me quite firmly to tell her it was necessary.

Someone posted fairly recently in this newsgroup that he was required
to show it in order to rent a car in Italy. Lots of people have
reported otherwise, but maybe this is starting to be enforced. Given
terrorism fears, people are beginning to be much more rigid about
documents.

The other conclusion from the debate seemed to be that they are
relatively cheap and easy to get so why wouldn't you just get one?
Even if you never need it. That same arguement could probably be made
for a dog license even if you don't have a dog.

The dog analogy isn't valid, as you run no risk at all by not having
the license if you don't have a dog. A better analogy is liability
insurance for your car. I know someone who hasn't had it for years
even though it's required by law. He's never needed it. Actually, I've
never needed mine either, and it costs a lot more than an IDP. Would I
be smart to just let my policy lapse?

In theory your car can be compounded in Italy if you don't have a
valid license (which would be your own national license plus an IDP.)
That could sure ruin a vacation even if it's unlikely to happen.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:47:24 +0100, Martin wrote:

One doesn't need an IDL/IDP in either country, although I can find places on the
web that says one does, just like we found places that said one needed an IDL in
Italy last time around.

The last time I checked, there was at least one state in the US that
required an IDP. Italy has agreements with a number of non EU
countries for exemption from IDP. No one with an EU license needs an
IDP in Italy. In fact, any country that issues a license in EU format,
with the information numbered as it is in on the EU license, should
need an IDP in Italy.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 15:43:08 -0500, Joseph Coulter
wrote:

I have been stopped in Italy for a papers check no one commented on my
lack of IDL though technically I believe it is required there.

Was this recently? As I mentioned in another post, in the last few
years, all sorts of document requirements have been tightened and are
enforced more strictly now.

Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:09:42 +0100, Frank Hucklenbroich
wrote:

Yes, but they are just valid for short time, 2 years IIRC.

Those issued in the US are valid for one year only.