Opinions? Cruise vs. All Inclusive

Old March 9th, 2007, 11:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default Opinions? Cruise vs. All Inclusive

I think here's a point to consider... as much of a difference as there is
among various cruise lines, you may get the same difference with all
inclusives. I think I'd want to have a TA who's been there... just as when
I was a cruise rookie, I wanted a TA who's been there. I've got the feeling
picking the right AI is as important as picking the right cruise.

--Tom

"RICK DAVIS" wrote in message
The one thing I know this group is good for is an opinion. So I
want/need all input. I have 20 cruises under my belt. Not the most but
a fair amount. I have no experience with All Inclusive. I am giving
serious thought to skipping a cruise this year and doing an All
Inclusive. I've done the research and know where I want to go.
Ok, Here is where everyones opinion comes in. So far I have priced
out nice All Inclusive for about $1700/pp. A nice cruise with a balcony
is around $1100/pp. Price is not the issue. By the end of the cruise
bar bill & tips added will all equal out. Is the All Inclusive any
better value or is it all equal? How about the service? Equal to a
cruise? I just love the being at sea idea and the great service.
Giving up those sea views is hard but on the other hand wouldn't mind
trying an all inclusive. Input and thoughts welcome here. I'm really
having a hard time with this decision.

Old March 10th, 2007, 01:47 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Mar 9, 9:26 am, (RICK DAVIS) wrote:
[...]

Hi Rick,
I have to say cruising is probably one of the most value for the $$$$
and needless to say convenient. Imagine! traveling to beautiful parts
of the world while you relax,sip on a drink or participate in the tons
of activities these cruiseliners have to offer. You can't beat it!
However, if you are looking for something a little different; the
first thing is to go on to a travel website that will allow you to
search through the many "all inclusive" vacation options.
May I suggest, www.adventureguru.globaltravel.com...This site has many
options available all over the world. Good Luck!!! and Happy
Travels!!!

Old March 10th, 2007, 12:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rick[_3_]

On Mar 9, 6:09 pm, "Tom K" wrote:
I think here's a point to consider... as much of a difference as there is
among various cruise lines, you may get the same difference with all
inclusives. I think I'd want to have a TA who's been there... just as when
I was a cruise rookie, I wanted a TA who's been there. I've got the feeling
picking the right AI is as important as picking the right cruise.

--Tom

Tom, I think you are 100% correct. I couldn't agree more. You
bring up
a valid point. One person I asked about this was told by her TA that
she had personally
been to the AI she was booking them at. After they got back they
complained to the
TA who then changed her story and said she was never there. I think
finding the right TA
is half the battle. I was really just looking for input and opinions
here. .I really want to thank
everyone for their input. There is no guarantee of good service or
good food on any vacation.
Land based or Cruise Line Its all subject to ones own opinion.

Old March 10th, 2007, 01:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Boomer

As others have said, the AI vacations are OK but different than a cruise.
I've only been to 3 AI places - each was OK & I'd probably do another some
day if the price was right. The food was acceptable in all I've been to.
Entertainment was only so-so (as expected) Drinks were watered down (unless
you gave the bartender a occasional tip). It did have it's advantages since
we visited places we couldn't while on a cruise ship.

Old March 10th, 2007, 01:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 9, 6:09 pm, "Tom K" wrote:
[...]

Having never been to one, I'm just guessing, but if you find a "chain" like
Sandals, or Couples that seems to work for your style, maybe you can jump
from one location to another to get consistency of some degree. When you
deal with hotels, Hyatt's are pretty much all going to meet Hyatt
expectations. Same with Ritz Carleton. Same with Motel 6. Or Red Roof
Inn. It's when you get 1-offs like Atlantis, where you have less basis for
getting a good feel for what it might be like before hand.

--Tom

Old March 10th, 2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
nospam

I have to disagree on the drinks. We are regular guests at Sandals, 18
times, (but have been to others), and the drinks are never watered down, at
least the ones I have had. Entertainment, I agree is ok or so-so. Food is
what I have expected or better, certainly no worse than a cruise. The
advantage of AI is you have access to all kinds of land and water activities
at no additional (or minimal) cost. Also no bar bill or tipping to worry
about since it is all tied into the cost of the vacation upfront. Actually,
if you do try to tip at many AI's, the employee may get fired and may
outright refuse because of this. Also if you are into diving, snorkeling,
golfing, cost is included (except for the caddie for golf). The golfing is
very good in Jamaica and Sandals owns their own golf course in Ocho Rios.
It is also nice not have to go port to port and just sit on your balcony or
patio and look at the beach, sunsets, sunrise, etc. Depending which resort
you go to, you can get good deals that are equal to a cruise in cost
(especially by the time in add in the tips, spa, bar bill, and excursions).
We have spent on average about $1500/pp over the years from 7-10 days AI.
Sometimes the cost is less if we use or Freq Guest points or catch a sale
from 35-50% off.

. ..

Old March 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
wallace

"RICK DAVIS" wrote in message
[...]

One aspect of AI that appealed to us was not having to consider the cost of
food and drink. When my kids were young this was invaluable! It was very
reassuring knowing they could eat and drink whenever they wanted without
having to consider the cost. Also, we didn't need to carry money with us. As
for local alcohol, I don't see that as a problem. I'm happy to sample local
brands and if it's watered down then you just have another. It's also nice
to hire a car and get a good feel for an area, that includes sampling food
and nightlife away from the resort. I'd suggest you do some thorough
research before your holiday and don't compare too much with cruising as
it's quite different. Have a great time!
Jan

Old March 10th, 2007, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K

On 3/9/2007 9:26 AM RICK DAVIS wrote:
[...]

Rick,

You didn't say *which* AI and where. A lot depends on location and
"brand" just as it does with a cruise. If you think of a cruise as a
smörgåsbord of ports where you get a taste of each country, an AI or any
land vacation gives you the chance to dine more fully at one table.

There are AI that are totally isolated from any town or city. I favor
the ones that are within walking distance of towns and attractions.
Unlike being at sea, you are free to "leave the ship" any time you wish
during your stay. My first AI was at Allegro - Playacar which at the
time was changing ownership. Needless to say service was dreadful. More
recent stays have been at El Gran Porto Real in the north end of Playa
del Carmen. Even though the area is going through massive expansion,
Playa still feels like a small beach resort. I happen to like Mexican
food and culture, so favor AI in Mexico.

So it all depends on where you stay and what you expect.

--
____
Brian M. Kochera
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gregory C. Read

While I have absolutely no knowledge of All Inclusive resorts, I do have
some interest and would go if something jumped out as being cost effective.

For instance, how much does it cost to build one? A cruise ship is
$400,000,000 +.

How many people stay at any one time? A cruise ship is 2,500 - 3,500.

How much does it cost to run? A cruise ship has port, and fuel charges,
etc. Plus I would expect higher maintenance costs.

With all this in mind, why isn't an All Inclusive much cheaper than a
cruise? I see some have said they are compariable, but I haven't seen
anything compariable and we almost always get inside cabins.

Sure, if your cruise bar bill is $1,000 +, then any free booze vacation
would be cost effective. But I drink moderately and my wife not at all.

Also, during the day, what is there to do NOT in the hot outdoors? I like
swimming in the ocean for a a couple of hours, but lying on the beach in the
sun is about as enjoyable to me as standing in front of a firing squad. On
a cruise there are many things to do inside while still doing short stints
of sun type activities.

--
Greg

Old March 11th, 2007, 04:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"wallace" wrote:

"RICK DAVIS" wrote in message
[...]

I don't really get this. When my parents traveled with us (in the
US), we went camping. When my kids were little, we went camping. And
now that they are grown with families of their own, they go camping
with their kids. If you bring what you want to eat and drink, there's
no problem with that.

We didn't camp to save money though - we camped because we wanted to
be out there.