Anyone shopping for luggage?

Old January 27th, 2009, 11:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Goomba

Default Anyone shopping for luggage?

I have been adding to my set of Travelpro luggage as I need pieces and
have recently found that Bloomingdales has the Crew7 model at
*excellent* prices. The prices are less than I found for the
discontinued pieces of Travelpro at Macy's.
So if you might be looking...check out the Bloomies website.
Goomba
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Goomba
wrote:

I have been adding to my set of Travelpro luggage as I need pieces and
have recently found that Bloomingdales has the Crew7 model at
*excellent* prices. The prices are less than I found for the
discontinued pieces of Travelpro at Macy's.
So if you might be looking...check out the Bloomies website.

I bought the 20 inch carry on about three weeks ago for $99 plus about
$10 shipping on the Bloomingdales web site. They don't carry it in the
store, at least not the store here. Since their store is across the
street I thought I would save on shipping. It took about two weeks to
ship. It is a very good piece of luggage. The 22 inch is also $99. The
prices are amazing. All the other web sites and Macy's that I checked
were over $160 for the piece I bought.

--
Charles
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_7_]

Charles wrote:
In article , Goomba
wrote:

I have been adding to my set of Travelpro luggage as I need pieces and
have recently found that Bloomingdales has the Crew7 model at
*excellent* prices. The prices are less than I found for the
discontinued pieces of Travelpro at Macy's.
So if you might be looking...check out the Bloomies website.

I bought the 20 inch carry on about three weeks ago for $99 plus about
$10 shipping on the Bloomingdales web site. They don't carry it in the
store, at least not the store here. Since their store is across the
street I thought I would save on shipping. It took about two weeks to
ship. It is a very good piece of luggage. The 22 inch is also $99. The
prices are amazing. All the other web sites and Macy's that I checked
were over $160 for the piece I bought.

The Nonnys prefer Kroger or Safeway grocery sacks, though large
cardboard boxes seem to hold up a tad better.

--
Nonny
Some people are like a Slinky: not really
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Goomba :

I have been adding to my set of Travelpro luggage as I need pieces and
have recently found that Bloomingdales has the Crew7 model at
*excellent* prices. The prices are less than I found for the
discontinued pieces of Travelpro at Macy's.
So if you might be looking...check out the Bloomies website.
Goomba

We used to think they were a real good deal with an excellent
warranty. Then a zipper tab broke off one of our suitcases and they
told us the nearest repair facility was in Houston and that it would
probably take two weeks.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Men are like a carpet. Lay them well and you can
walk on them for years.

Old January 30th, 2009, 01:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Dillon Pyron
wrote:

We used to think they were a real good deal with an excellent
warranty. Then a zipper tab broke off one of our suitcases and they
told us the nearest repair facility was in Houston and that it would
probably take two weeks.

Two weeks is not a bad turn around. I have sent in cameras to Canon and
sunglasses to Maui Jim and it took about two weeks. The only company
that gives me good turn around is Apple. Theirs is 72 hours. I do think
Travelpro is over rated and not as good as the used to be, but at the
prices on the Bloomingdale's web site I don't think one can go wrong.

--
Charles
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Goomba

Dillon Pyron wrote:

We used to think they were a real good deal with an excellent
warranty. Then a zipper tab broke off one of our suitcases and they
told us the nearest repair facility was in Houston and that it would
probably take two weeks.

that doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Goomba :

Dillon Pyron wrote:

We used to think they were a real good deal with an excellent
warranty. Then a zipper tab broke off one of our suitcases and they
told us the nearest repair facility was in Houston and that it would
probably take two weeks.

that doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Well, it's either drive 200 miles twice, or pay a huge shipping fee. I
think my local mail store type place quoted me $35 one way. So that
would have been $70.

Old January 31st, 2009, 05:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
I bought the 20 inch carry on about three weeks ago for $99 plus about
$10 shipping on the Bloomingdales web site. They don't carry it in the
store, at least not the store here. Since their store is across the
street I thought I would save on shipping. It took about two weeks to
ship. It is a very good piece of luggage. The 22 inch is also $99. The
prices are amazing. All the other web sites and Macy's that I checked
were over $160 for the piece I bought.

Charles

Because one of our 28" suitcases was damaged by the baggage handlers after
the VOTS cruise in December, I ended up buying a Samsonite Solana Spinner.
It is well constructed with a new Tri-Weave blended fabric and lightweight
Polypropylene Honeycomb frame, but the way that luggage is treated by
airlines and cruise ships anymore, I wonder how long those four wheels will
last...The effortless mobility in any direction was what sold me as it's
getting harder and harder to schlep all that luggage!

--Jean

Old January 31st, 2009, 05:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 1/30/2009 11:59 PM, Dillon Pyron wrote:
Well, it's either drive 200 miles twice, or pay a huge shipping fee. I
think my local mail store type place quoted me $35 one way. So that
would have been $70.

Your local mall store probably charged you ridiculous prices for
packaging and a hefty markup on shipping. If you saved the
original boxes (if you had them, of course) you could just take
it to Fedex or UPS yourself and shipped for much cheaper.

BTW I posted this deal on another board and someone else pointed
out that hhgregg.com has them cheaper AND has free shipping.

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductListin...Suitcases%2024

Bill
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Goomba

Dillon Pyron wrote:
[Default] Thus spake Goomba :

Dillon Pyron wrote:

We used to think they were a real good deal with an excellent
warranty. Then a zipper tab broke off one of our suitcases and they
told us the nearest repair facility was in Houston and that it would
probably take two weeks.

that doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Well, it's either drive 200 miles twice, or pay a huge shipping fee. I
think my local mail store type place quoted me $35 one way. So that
would have been $70.

That's FAR more than the shipping and handling that Bloomies just
charged me for the pieces I bought. shrug