Bermuda may waive cruise ship cabin tax

Old January 28th, 2009, 03:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default Bermuda may waive cruise ship cabin tax

Interesting article in The Royal Gazette of Bermuda. The government has
made some concessions to bring back cruise ships to Hamilton and St.
george and it appears more incentives are on the way.

http://www.royalgazette.com/siftolog...e/article.jsp?
articleId=7d91db330030012&sectionId=65

--
Charles
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff Gersten

lid (Charles) wrote:

Interesting article in The Royal Gazette of
Bermuda. The government has made some
concessions to bring back cruise ships to
Hamilton and St. george and it appears more
incentives are on the way.

http://www.royalgazette.com/siftology.royalga
zette/Article/article.jsp?articleId=7d91db33003
0012&sectionId=65

But where are the smaller ships that can dock in St. George or Hamilton?
The major cruise lines are building larger and larger ships while
retiring or selling off their smaller ships.

Old January 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Jeff
Gersten wrote:

But where are the smaller ships that can dock in St. George or Hamilton?
The major cruise lines are building larger and larger ships while
retiring or selling off their smaller ships.

There are some smaller ships that can go to those two ports. HAL for
example is sending the Veendam in 2010. HAL has some other ships that
are small enough to dock at St. George and Hamilton. Azamara, Oceania
and Princess have ships that are small enough for both. All the ex R
ships. Most likely there are some other smaller ships out there that
can do both or one of the two.

--
Charles
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Jeff
Gersten wrote:

But, as the article you posted reads, these ships either get sold or go
on more profitable routes, like Asia. With no new small ships being
built, this option will dry up eventually.

Despite the desire of the Bermuda government for more hotels and land
based visitors, it is not happening and they are offering incentives
for more cruise ships. I would not be surprised if the next incentive
will be to build a dock in Hamilton and modify St. George so that
larger ships can dock at both ports.

--
Charles
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

I don't think they ever liked the ships, all the people and the crowded
streets... but I don't think they like it now that the passengers money
isn't there either.

I think if they went "middle of the road" they could make it work... do
changes for the 77,000-90,000 ton ships, like Connie, Radiance, Century,
Dawn Princess. You don't have to make room for Explorer/Liberty in the
towns. Even older RCI ships like Legend/Splendor could be good if they
modified the ports and harbor entrances.

And for the cruise lines, now that Europe has cooled off a bit... Bermuda
might be attractive again.

--Tom

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old January 29th, 2009, 03:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

On Jan 28, 8:03�pm, "Tom K" wrote:
I don't think they ever liked the ships, all the people and the crowded
streets... but I don't think they like it now that the passengers money
isn't there either.

I think if they went "middle of the road" they could make it work... do
changes for the 77,000-90,000 ton ships, like Connie, Radiance, Century,
Dawn Princess. �You don't have to make room for Explorer/Liberty in the
towns. �Even older RCI ships like Legend/Splendor could be good if they
modified the ports and harbor entrances.

And for the cruise lines, now that Europe has cooled off a bit... Bermuda
might be attractive again.

--Tom

"Charles" wrote in message

d...

In article , Jeff
Gersten wrote:

But, as the article you posted reads, these ships either get sold or go
on more profitable routes, like Asia. With no new small ships being
built, this option will dry up eventually.

Despite the desire of the Bermuda government for more hotels and land
based visitors, it is not happening and they are offering incentives
for more cruise �ships. I would not be surprised if the next incentive
will be to build a dock in Hamilton and modify St. George so that
larger ships can dock at both ports.

--
Charles- Hide quoted text -

YEa I think the cruise lines put tooooo many ships in exotic locales
and now it will bite them as the air tickets are too high, however
this moprning USAIR from Phila has tix to bermuda for $90 each way
and its 76 there Tom you may want to fly down and golf!
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 1/29/2009 10:47 AM Susette scrawled with a big red tube of lipstick:
On Jan 28, 8:03�pm, "Tom K" wrote:

I don't think they ever liked the ships, all the people and the crowded
streets... but I don't think they like it now that the passengers money
isn't there either.

I think if they went "middle of the road" they could make it work... do
changes for the 77,000-90,000 ton ships, like Connie, Radiance, Century,
Dawn Princess. �You don't have to make room for Explorer/Liberty in the
towns. �Even older RCI ships like Legend/Splendor could be good if they
modified the ports and harbor entrances.

And for the cruise lines, now that Europe has cooled off a bit... Bermuda
might be attractive again.

--Tom

"Charles" wrote in message

d...

In article , Jeff
Gersten wrote:

But, as the article you posted reads, these ships either get sold or go
on more profitable routes, like Asia. With no new small ships being
built, this option will dry up eventually.

Despite the desire of the Bermuda government for more hotels and land
based visitors, it is not happening and they are offering incentives
for more cruise �ships. I would not be surprised if the next incentive
will be to build a dock in Hamilton and modify St. George so that
larger ships can dock at both ports.

--
Charles- Hide quoted text -

YEa I think the cruise lines put tooooo many ships in exotic locales
and now it will bite them as the air tickets are too high, however
this moprning USAIR from Phila has tix to bermuda for $90 each way
and its 76 there Tom you may want to fly down and golf!

Maybe the next safety feature on US Air jets will be interchangeable
landing gear that is comprised of both wheels and pontoons. ;-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera