Hiking near Edinburgh?

Old April 6th, 2010, 02:54 PM posted to ed.general,rec.travel.europe
Sam Wilson

Default Hiking near Edinburgh?

In article ,
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

I will bring my staff (25 men at age 25-60 years) for trip to
Edinburgh May 13th to 16th .

I have hired a bus to pick us up at the hotel on Friday morning.
We want to see the surroundings around Edinburgh.

First I want the bus to take us to a nice place (castle?) for some
sightseeing and lunch.
Then we want I really nice walk (3-4 hours?) with greats views.
We will bring food and water in backpacks.

The bus can let us off at one place and pick us up at another place.

We want to be back at the hotel about 5 pm.

Any suggestions?

Lunch at Dalhousie Castle, bus to Carlops, walk over the Pentlands,
get the bus to pick people up again at Bavelaw/Balerno.

They'll need good shoes and anoraks.

If that's too strenuous, and the tide's right, go to Cramond and walk
out to Cramond Island along the causeway to look at the Forth Bridges,
the WW2 gun emplacements and the seals if they emerge. The Cramond Inn
does good food.

I've fixed your newsgroup list, you misspelt half of the groups you
were trying to post to.

Dirleton or Tantallon Castle, followed by a walk from Gullane to North
Berwick, or Aberlady to Yellowcraig.

Sam
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:38 AM posted to ed.general,rec.travel.europe
PoB

"Sam Wilson" wrote in message news:Sam.Wilson-

| Dirleton or Tantallon Castle, followed by a walk from Gullane to North
| Berwick, or Aberlady to Yellowcraig.

From under the bridges at South Queensferry, through the Dalmeny estate,
ending up at Cramond - where, if the tide is favourable you can follow
Jack's advice earlier...

RoslinGlen/Castle/Rosslyn Chapel/, for that Da Vinci code experience...

Stick a pin in a map round Edinburgh, you won't go far wrong

All the best

pOB

Old April 7th, 2010, 12:14 PM posted to ed.general,rec.travel.europe
Sam Wilson

In article , "PoB"
wrote:

"Sam Wilson" wrote in message news:Sam.Wilson-

| Dirleton or Tantallon Castle, followed by a walk from Gullane to North
| Berwick, or Aberlady to Yellowcraig.

From under the bridges at South Queensferry, through the Dalmeny estate,
ending up at Cramond - where, if the tide is favourable you can follow
Jack's advice earlier...

Yep, or the other way - start at Cramond or Cramond Brig and end up at
Queensferry.

RoslinGlen/Castle/Rosslyn Chapel/, for that Da Vinci code experience...

Though you can't actually visit the castle, I think.

Stick a pin in a map round Edinburgh, you won't go far wrong

Yep. A little further afield, visit Linlithgow Palace and then walk
around the loch or visit Beecraigs or Muiravonside.

Sam
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:20 AM posted to ed.general,rec.travel.europe
G Bell

Sam Wilson writes:

In article , "PoB"
wrote:

"Sam Wilson" wrote in message news:Sam.Wilson-

| Dirleton or Tantallon Castle, followed by a walk from Gullane to North
| Berwick, or Aberlady to Yellowcraig.

From under the bridges at South Queensferry, through the Dalmeny estate,
ending up at Cramond - where, if the tide is favourable you can follow
Jack's advice earlier...

Yep, or the other way - start at Cramond or Cramond Brig and end up at
Queensferry.

RoslinGlen/Castle/Rosslyn Chapel/, for that Da Vinci code experience...

Though you can't actually visit the castle, I think.

If you follow the path round the south east side and follow it up keeping
the castle to your right then you can walk up the promontory to the walls
on the north west side and look through the big holes and see the bit where
they still live. That isn't that exciting, looks like any other older house
in the area, the outside is more interesting. But you are right you
can't visit, but as you walk around the route above you can see into the
bit below the living area which look like old storerooms or dungeons.

Graham

Old April 12th, 2010, 10:04 AM posted to ed.general,rec.travel.europe
a l l y

"G Bell" wrote in message
Sam Wilson writes:

RoslinGlen/Castle/Rosslyn Chapel/, for that Da Vinci code experience...

Though you can't actually visit the castle, I think.

If you follow the path round the south east side and follow it up keeping
the castle to your right then you can walk up the promontory to the walls
on the north west side and look through the big holes and see the bit
where
they still live. That isn't that exciting, looks like any other older
house
in the area, the outside is more interesting. But you are right you
can't visit, but as you walk around the route above you can see into the
bit below the living area which look like old storerooms or dungeons.

Oh - you used to be able to visit the castle. I've been inside it - in the
dungeons and everything. There were private apartments where the family
lived, but the rest was open to the public. But it was a *long* time ago. I
wonder when they stopped letting people in?

ally

Old April 14th, 2010, 10:22 AM posted to ed.general,rec.travel.europe
Sam Wilson

In article ,
"a l l y" wrote:

[ visiting Roslin Castle, or not ]

Oh - you used to be able to visit the castle. I've been inside it - in the
dungeons and everything. There were private apartments where the family
lived, but the rest was open to the public. But it was a *long* time ago. I
wonder when they stopped letting people in?

It's not been visitable for about 25 years that I know about.

Sam