Can I mix 2 Round trip tickets to fly in/out of different airports twice?

Old January 7th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Brett

Default Can I mix 2 Round trip tickets to fly in/out of different airports twice?

I want to fly into airport 'A' and out of airport 'B' and it is a
little cheaper to buy a round trip ticket than a 1-way to Europe right
now. If I use one leg of ticket '1' and the return leg of ticket '2'
from my two round trip tickets, is there any way to set it up do the
same trip in reverse at a later time? I assume there will be change
fees, etc, but I hate to waste the 2 halves of the 2 round trip
tickets I need to buy.

Can this be done?
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:14 AM
mrraveltay

Brett wrote:

I want to fly into airport 'A' and out of airport 'B' and it is a
little cheaper to buy a round trip ticket than a 1-way to Europe right
now. If I use one leg of ticket '1' and the return leg of ticket '2'
from my two round trip tickets, is there any way to set it up do the
same trip in reverse at a later time? I assume there will be change
fees, etc, but I hate to waste the 2 halves of the 2 round trip
tickets I need to buy.

Can this be done?

Not in the way you described.
I am a bit confused about you reason to buy 2 tickets.
Are you flying A to B and back to A, or are you talking about flying A
to B now, and B to A sometime in the future? Or something else?
What is a "later time"?

It sounds like you are talking about flying one way now and the other
direction in the future. How long in the future is a part of the
equation. It might be better to only buy one round trip ticket.
You would generally not be able to use the return part of a ticket
unless you use the outbound part of it first, so you might want to
consider using it in the correct order, but buying it to start from the
OTHER country.

Old January 8th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Mike Cordelli

You need two tickets to do what you are trying to do, and they should be on
different airlines.

Ticket 1, segment 1 on airline xxx goes from

City A to City B

Ticket 2, segment 1 on airline yyy goes from

City B to City A

The other two halves could be used for another trip later if you do the
dates right.

You have to do it this way because

1) an airline will cancel your remaining segments if you skip a segment
2) most airlines have rules that you have to use up a ticket before you use
another one, so to play it safe you should use different airlines

om...

Old January 8th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Adam Weiss

mrraveltay wrote:
Brett wrote:

[...]

Would flying A to B, B to C to B, and B to A on two round trip tickets
work? (This would all be domestic US).

Old January 8th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Brett" wrote in message
om...
I want to fly into airport 'A' and out of airport 'B' and it is a
little cheaper to buy a round trip ticket than a 1-way to Europe right
now. If I use one leg of ticket '1' and the return leg of ticket '2'
from my two round trip tickets, is there any way to set it up do the
same trip in reverse at a later time? I assume there will be change
fees, etc, but I hate to waste the 2 halves of the 2 round trip
tickets I need to buy.

You probably don't need to do your cunning plan at all!

I'm going off the assumption that you are trying to do something similar to
the following example.
e.g. Start at JFK and then fly to London
Transfer to Paris by train
Fly from Paris to JFK

Now you are proposing that you buy a JFK-London return and a Paris-JFK
return, only use the outward leg and use the return at another time? The
answer is yes, you could, as long as you have the two journeys completely
seperately ticketed. It would probably work using the same airline, however
to be safe it's best to use two different airlines for your two flights. One
restriction is that you *must* use the outward leg of your ticket first, you
cannot use the return first.

However using that method you are still paying for two roundtrip
transatlantic tickets - not cheap!

A far better option for you, and one sometimes not available on web sites is
an open jaw. i.e. You would have one ticket which allows you to fly to one
airport, transfer to another airport and then fly back to your origin. Each
segment is usually priced at half the equivalent return fare. i.e. you will
usually not pay any more than a standard return ticket to one airport. Hence
saving yourself a small fortune!

Hope that helps!

Mark