Amazon small ship cruises - help me find the right one

Old July 15th, 2005, 11:26 PM
ghstudio

Default Amazon small ship cruises - help me find the right one

My wife and I would like to visit the amazon next year and we are
looking for a quality small ship cruise....7-10 days....small is less
than 100 people but more than 20. The boat has to be air conditioned,
etc...we're not looking for that native mosquito net open air
experience.

There seem to be a large number of choices...all claiming to offer the
best experience, service, food and so on. I really would like to find
a web site that truthfully compares small ships/cruises but I've only
found cruisecritic.com which does large ships (and they do that very
well). So I'm anxious to hear from folks who have gone on one of these
small Amazon cruises.

It's probably not necessary to say that we are looking for honest
native experiences when on shore or off our boat rather than "the
amazon sound and light experience".

When is the best time to do the Amazon? Which of the many Amazon trips
(they seem to start from different points) are best?

Let's skip seaborne/Linbladd type experiences ....we want comfort, but
we aren't willing to pay for that level of luxury. We may book a
better cabin, but that's about as far as it goes.

Please help me plan this trip...or perhaps it's trips. Agents are
welcome to contact me, but I'd really like to hear from folks who have
done this type of small ship cruise.

Old July 18th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Becca

ghstudio wrote:

When is the best time to do the Amazon? Which of the many Amazon trips
(they seem to start from different points) are best?

From what I recall, the river begins to rise in November and it peaks
in June. My husband and I took a 3-week cruise on the Stella Solaris,
but that ship is no longer available.

Here are a few small ships that tour the Amazon.

http://www.smallshipcruises.com/southamcrivers.html

You may want to inquire in rec.travel.cruises. Good luck finding the
ship you are looking for.

Becca
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Bill McKee

April is flood month. We went in Feb and is a dry season. Very few
flowers, no fruits. so very little life in the treetops when were took the
canopy walk.

"Becca" wrote in message
ghstudio wrote:

When is the best time to do the Amazon? Which of the many Amazon trips
(they seem to start from different points) are best?

From what I recall, the river begins to rise in November and it peaks in

Old July 21st, 2005, 12:57 PM
Becca

It seems that wildlife likes to avoid people. The only wildlife we
found on our canopy walk were butterflies and a sloth.

Becca

"Becca" wrote in message

ghstudio wrote:

When is the best time to do the Amazon? Which of the many Amazon trips
(they seem to start from different points) are best?

From what I recall, the river begins to rise in November and it peaks in

Old July 21st, 2005, 08:45 PM
Bill McKee

"Becca" wrote in message

ghstudio wrote:

When is the best time to do the Amazon? Which of the many Amazon trips
(they seem to start from different points) are best?

From what I recall, the river begins to rise in November and it peaks in
June. My husband and I took a 3-week cruise on the Stella Solaris, but
that ship is no longer available.

Here are a few small ships that tour the Amazon.

http://www.smallshipcruises.com/southamcrivers.html

You may want to inquire in rec.travel.cruises. Good luck finding the
ship you are looking for.

Becca

The natives kill and eat most of the wildlife. Eco-resort we stayed at has
4 guards to keep the poachers away. You see monkey for sale in the local
markets.