Storage of photos whilst travelling?

Old November 15th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Owain

Default Storage of photos whilst travelling?

"Jeremy Henderson" wrote
| Not to mention the eternal worry for the inexperienced photographer
| of not being sure they loaded the film properly (or at all :-).

I admit to being a complete failure with photographic equipment; I have
never managed to get a decent photo out of a film camera, even with the nice
lady in the shop putting the film in and taking it out for me. Digital is
like a computer and I can work them!

The increased depth of focus with a digital is an advantage, but I find they
don't work well on moving targets.

Owain

Old November 15th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Miguel Cruz

Mxsmanic wrote:
Jeremy Henderson writes:
You don't need a digital SLR to have exposure control. A much cheaper model
will provide all the control you need.

If you wade through ten menus to obtain it, yes. That is difficult to
do quickly.

On my Canon S-30 there is a button shaped like a plus sign. Move it up or
down to change the aperture, left or right to change the exposure. It's as
easy as you could ask for. No menus involved.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Reid

Following up to Jeremy Henderson

The danger I'm talking about is that you didn't expose the scene correctly
at the time - something that is easily checked with a digital, and
impossible with film.

this is an advantage of digital, for me it doesn't outweigh the
lack of quality and the storage problem. When full frame SLR type
bodies are available at an affordable price I will consider
digital. For now, scanned slides give me a non magnetic
technology based back up and a quality image.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Reid

Following up to Mxsmanic

Exactly my point - if you buy prepaid film you don't have the option of
processing it abroad without paying extra.

Apart from Kodachrome, who ever buys prepaid film these days?

I do, all the time. (Fuji velvia). You don't have to, but I
prefer to use the Fuji lab.
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Reid

Following up to Mxsmanic

I've never seen prepaid Fujichrome. Where have you encountered it?

It is optional, you buy the E6 mailers if you want them. Agfa
also ran a fast turn around "pro" service till recently.
Old November 17th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Mxsmanic

Reid writes:

It is optional, you buy the E6 mailers if you want them. Agfa
also ran a fast turn around "pro" service till recently.

I'm fortunate in that I can get E-6 135 or 120 developed in two hours
flat, seven days a week. I never use mailers for anything except
Kodachrome. Even Kodachrome used to have 24-hour turnaround, although
now it is 48-hour turnaround, and only for the "pro" versions of the
film (for everyone else, it's 7-10 days). I don't shoot much
Kodachrome, though.

Old November 17th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Reid

Following up to Mxsmanic

It is optional, you buy the E6 mailers if you want them. Agfa
also ran a fast turn around "pro" service till recently.

I'm fortunate in that I can get E-6 135 or 120 developed in two hours
flat, seven days a week.

Yes, I can too, but the people who do it tend to be in central
London, so I only do that if the shots may be valuable.
Old November 18th, 2003, 12:14 AM
bigbrian

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 01:44:07 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Jeremy Henderson writes:

The danger I'm talking about is that you didn't expose the scene correctly
at the time - something that is easily checked with a digital, and
impossible with film.

If you have even a modicum of familiarity with the principles of
photography and a decent camera, you'll get correct exposure.
Additionally, some consumer films, such as Kodak Max, have such a wide
latitude that you can expose almost randomly and still get usable
images.

Furthermore, for a typical traveler's budget, you can get a better film
camera than digital camera.

The penultimate time I came back from a longish trip, the cost of
developing the films would have funded a damn fine digital camera. So
the last time, I went out an bought one. (And that's not allowing for
the the cost of processing pictures that turned out to be unusuable)
As far as cost is concerned its a total no brainer.

Brian
Old November 18th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Mxsmanic

bigbrian writes:

The penultimate time I came back from a longish trip, the
cost of developing the films would have funded a damn
fine digital camera.

Typically you must shoot several thousand pictures to amortize the cost
of a digital camera. Most people shoot only about one or two dozen
photos _per year_. They shoot more on vacation, but often surprisingly
few even then. Most people on vacation, unless they are truly serious
photographers, take pictures only when they have nothing else to do.