Safest Places in the US?

Old April 10th, 2006, 02:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Safest Places in the US?

There's probably no place in the world that's without
inherent dangers of various kinds, especially if you
include not only natural disasters but also dangers
such as crime, disease, famine, etc.

..
I see no indication that the OP wanted to include those
non-natural disasters.

Actually he did mention crime. He said " the safest states from dangers
such as
....[long list] ... as well as from crime..."

You're right that he didn't mention disease or famine. My point was
that if you are looking for "safe" areas, there are other factors in
addition to the ones he mentioned.

Jim

Old April 10th, 2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

.

I see no indication that the OP wanted to include those
non-natural disasters.

Actually he did mention crime. He said " the safest states from dangers
such as
...[long list] ... as well as from crime..."

You're right that he didn't mention disease or famine. My point was
that if you are looking for "safe" areas, there are other factors in
addition to the ones he mentioned.

Welllll...

For most of us famine is not a problem, and beri-beri isn't
likely to be a problem, even if we live where these are
prevalent. Nor are other diseases like malaria. Especially in the
USA, which I believe was the original queston. The original post
is gone now and I'm not going to retrieve it, so I'm no longer
sure of the original wording.

The OP was a bit confusing.

"When I say "safe" I mean the safest states from dangers such as
natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornados, Earthquakes, Floods, Wild
Fires, Grapefruit sized hailstones, Severe Weather etc, as well as
from crime, gangs and things like that?

If for example I wanted to live in the USA, I don't think it would be
a good idea for me to choose Arizona because I have skin that easily
burns. I also wouldn't want to choose somewhere like Maine or
Minnesota where it might be freezing a lot of the time."

The interaction of fears of earthquakes with sunburn indicates that the
drift of the discussion is probably a good thing.

Of course, trying to simply avoid sunburn and freezing drops a pretty
high constraint anyway.
Old April 10th, 2006, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

For most of us famine is not a problem...

Agreed. I should have picked a better example.

Nor are other diseases like malaria...

If the bird flu becomes a pandemic, location could definitely affect
your risk. For example, a cabin in an isolated spot in the Nevada
desert (where you'd have little contact with birds or other people)
might start looking a lot more attractive.

Jim

Old April 10th, 2006, 10:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Hatunen wrote:

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:10:59 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

[...]

Of course, everyone here wears a high SPF sunscreen if they have
any brains at all.

I don't know how you managed it but you really messed up the references.

OH! I think that you chopped things in the middle of a quote from the
OP. In any case I live in the US and don't easily burn.