NYC tourisim suggestions?

Old October 3rd, 2003, 06:29 PM
David S.

Default NYC tourisim suggestions?

Planning to make a first time visit to New Your City later this year (not
during Thanksgiving or Christmas though). Never been there before and am
wanting to visit the 'usual' tourist/cultural stuff such as Central Park,
Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, MOMA,
other-museums-and-places-I-can't-remember-right-now. I'm thinking of a one
week trip, which I know won't allow time to see everything. So, for a first
timer, what major/must-see places/shows/etc should I consider? Any
particular area of the city, and or hotels, should I consider staying in? I
will be a single traveller, flying in, and don't want a car (we don't have
any usable mass transit here in Seattle so I'm looking forward to the
subway/metro). Are there any helpful websites, or travel books (I know about
the major books like Fromers'), I could consult?

Thanks,

David S.

Old October 4th, 2003, 06:40 AM
Eric Holeman

In article , David S. wrote:

Planning to make a first time visit to New Your City later this year (not
during Thanksgiving or Christmas though). Never been there before and am
wanting to visit the 'usual' tourist/cultural stuff such as Central Park,
Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, MOMA,
other-museums-and-places-I-can't-remember-right-now.

All that's fun, and an excellent starting point.

I'm thinking of a one
week trip, which I know won't allow time to see everything. So, for a first
timer, what major/must-see places/shows/etc should I consider?

The best way to pick those is to start scanning the NY Times, New Yorker,
Time Out NY or Village Voice and get an idea of what's going to be going
on. Friday and Sunday NY Times are probably best for theater listings.
Look out for off-Broadway offerings and concerts and such that might catch
your interest...very often, someone who would be filling a theater in a
bigger city can be caught in a small club gig in NYC.

I will be a single traveller, flying in, and don't want a car (we don't
have any usable mass transit here in Seattle

You don't want a car. But Seattle's bus system is fine for visitors,
especially ones who are staying downtown.

--
---
Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA
Old October 4th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Brian K

On 10/03/2003 1:29 PM David S. while directing tourists to the Zazu
Pits, was inclined to say:

[...]

If it's after Christmas, check weather reports. If you're lucky you'll
witness a New York snowfall. It's very pretty when it falls but doesn't
last long as it gets dirty real soon. There are ice skating rinks in
Central Park and at Rockefeller Center. You can either watch or skate.

Along with MOMA New York City has many museums. There is the museum of
the American Indian, The Jewish Museum, The Museum of the Moving Image
(Television and Film) and the Museum of American Folk Art and Crafts to
name a few. Plus there are the Galleries on 57th street, and down in SoHo.

There's lots of really cool Off-Off-Off Broadway Theater in the East and
West Village. Much of it is very affordable. Check the Village Voice
for info about OOOB Theater and music in the clubs.

As a single traveler, you may want to try restaurants and cafes in the
Village (East & West), SoHo, many are intimate and friendly. It's easy
to strike up a conversation with fellow diners. Some even will seat
singles together if you request, so you can have a dinner companion.
David's Potbelly on Christopher Street used to be like that. The
original owner died a few years back and the place was never the same.
However, there are other gems like that peppered around the city.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old October 5th, 2003, 05:03 PM
congokid

In article , David S.
writes
Planning to make a first time visit to New Your City later this year (not
during Thanksgiving or Christmas though). Never been there before and am
wanting to visit the 'usual' tourist/cultural stuff such as Central Park,
Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, MOMA,
other-museums-and-places-I-can't-remember-right-now. I'm thinking of a one
week trip, which I know won't allow time to see everything. So, for a first
timer, what major/must-see places/shows/etc should I consider? Any
particular area of the city, and or hotels, should I consider staying in? I
will be a single traveller, flying in, and don't want a car (we don't have
any usable mass transit here in Seattle so I'm looking forward to the
subway/metro). Are there any helpful websites, or travel books (I know about
the major books like Fromers'), I could consult?

I'd recommend a trip on the Chelsea Screamer, except it appears not to
operate after October.
URL:http://www.chelseascreamer.com/

I stayed in the Washington Square Hotel back in 1999.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old October 6th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Billy Clark

"David S." wrote in message
Are there any helpful websites, or travel books (I know about
the major books like Fromers'), I could consult?

Thanks,

David S.

Here are a couple of websites where you can order free visitor guides.

From NYC's official tourism website:
Official NYC Guide is a pocket-size consumer leisure travel guide with
information about transportation, hotels, sightseeing, museums, performing
arts, restaurants, shopping, nightlife, and sports. There's a six-month
calendar of events in the front and a map and coupons in the back. One guide
is free of charge. Guides are sent via third class mail for delivery to most
U.S. addresses within three weeks.
http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=11

From the Official New York State Tourism Website:
Order a free New York State Travel Guide.
http://www.iloveny.com/info_center/contact_us.asp

Here is a page with links to free travel guides for all 50 states and D.C.
You can also get free state highway maps from most states.
http://www.ustravelguides.com

Old October 7th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Pan

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 17:29:26 GMT, "David S."
wrote:

Planning to make a first time visit to New Your City later this year (not
during Thanksgiving or Christmas though). Never been there before and am
wanting to visit the 'usual' tourist/cultural stuff such as Central Park,
Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, MOMA,
other-museums-and-places-I-can't-remember-right-now.

MOMA is temporarily in Astoria, as others have no doubt pointed out,
and less of their permanent collection is being shown than usual.

The most important museum you didn't remember the name of is the
Metropolitan Museum. It's a great museum and well worth visiting once
if not twice in a week.

I'm thinking of a one
week trip, which I know won't allow time to see everything.

It'll be enough to give you a decent taste of the place, though.

So, for a first
timer, what major/must-see places/shows/etc should I consider?

Walk. A lot. That's the most important thing.

Any
particular area of the city, and or hotels, should I consider staying in?

Don't stay in the Times Square District because no-one's there except
tourists and people selling things to tourists and it doesn't feel
like New York. Otherwise, anywhere in Manhattan is fine. Tell us what
and where your alternatives are, and we can help you choose between
them.

will be a single traveller, flying in, and don't want a car (we don't have
any usable mass transit here in Seattle so I'm looking forward to the
subway/metro).

It's the subway, and the lack of a car is a blessing in New York. But
I found buses in Seattle fine. :-)

Are there any helpful websites, or travel books (I know about
the major books like Fromers'), I could consult?

Museums have their own websites, as do concert halls, etc. The MTA
does, too: www.mta.info. Get your subway and bus maps there. If you
want information about places to eat, consider checking out the New
York board of www.egullet.com. For concert, art show, play, and movie
listings, there are several places you can check, including the New
Yorker ("Goings on about town"), which also has a web site.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.