Autumn in North West Germany. When does it start?

Old August 24th, 2005, 11:53 PM

Default Autumn in North West Germany. When does it start?

When do the leaves start changing color and fall-like temperaturers
start in North West Germany (north of Frankfurt)? Is it the first half
of September, the second half or October?

Old August 25th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

When do the leaves start changing color and fall-like temperaturers
start in North West Germany (north of Frankfurt)? Is it the first half
of September, the second half or October?

This year, the fall-like temperatures started around July 20th. In Hamburg
we had the fireplace going every day in the first week of August already.
If I had a nickel for every summer in the last couple decades that the
newspapers said that northern Germany was having "November weather" in
June or July, I could buy you a Starbucks Frappucino. As far as leaves
changing color, that has more to do with sunlight than temperatu
http://virtual.clemson.edu/groups/Fi...Cgs/leaves.htm

Old August 25th, 2005, 12:42 AM

Thank you for the prompt reply.
What kind of weather is typical in mid to late September and early
October?

Old August 25th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

What kind of weather is typical in mid to late September and early
October?

It will go from average highs in the 60's in September to average highs in
the 50's in October. Generally more than half the days will have at least
some precipitation. Layer weather!

Old August 25th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Ingeborg Denner

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
When do the leaves start changing color and fall-like temperaturers
start in North West Germany (north of Frankfurt)? Is it the first
half
of September, the second half or October?

I lived a little farther east and the leaves (mostly oak and
beech) turned brown the 6th of October, and the hot days were
over August 20th. Farther west it will be warm and greener
for a few days more. However, with the weird weather of the
last years, you never know... 2nd half of September for
temperature, 1st half of October for the leaves is what
I would bet on.

If you're planning for a holiday, you might want to consider
day length, too.

inge

Old August 25th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

You should tell people that it was just an episode. Summer is back
now.

I've always had a different idea of summer than my Hamburg relatives!

WeatherChannel.com
Home Local Weather Forecast for Hamburg, Germany
Today Aug 25 Rain 61°F
Fri Aug 26 Rain 62°F
Sat Aug 27 AM Showers 65°F
Sun Aug 28 Mostly Cloudy 67°F
http://www.weather.com/activities/ot...m=search_10day

Old August 25th, 2005, 09:52 PM
David Johnstone

"Douglas W. Hoyt" wrote in message ...

This year, the fall-like temperatures started around July 20th. In Hamburg we had the fireplace going every day in the first
week of August already.

Well gee, it's been a cool summer I admit, but it has to be said
a *fireplace* is pretty wimpish! Unless of course you do it just
for the ambience...
David

Old August 26th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Well gee, it's been a cool summer I admit, but it has to be said a
*fireplace* is pretty wimpish!

No, it was quite cozy.