Travel Agencies - My New Target

Old December 19th, 2006, 11:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Von Fourche

Default Travel Agencies - My New Target

"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message
Thus spake "Von Fourche" :

"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message
. ..
Thus spake "Von Fourche" :

The local news did a story on people at work who do online shopping
in
their spare time while sitting at their desk at their jobs. They did
the
story at a local travel agency. I was surprised at what I saw. The
travel
agents desk had only a few things on it - a computer screen, and a few
trays
for paper. But I saw no desks with travel books, magazine, or anything
like
that. That leaves me to believe these travel agents do 100% of their
work
on the computer. That also leads me to believe these travel agents are
only
re-sailing travel packages that's on their computer screen. I'm sure,
because of memory and repetition, they could tell you the top one or two
resorts in Jamaica. But besides that, what else do they know? Would
they
know the best snorkeling areas in St. Lucia off the top of their head?
bet not. The news cast also showed the owner of this business. He did
not
look like a tough character to me.

Well folks, I have a new target. I'm going to put this business out
of
business. I am going to crush this business. I will get trained as a
travel again. I will work as a travel agent for two to five years,
maybe
even at the place above. Then I will start my own travel agencies with
my
own agents. And, I will specialize: Gay travel, Christian travel,
Spanish
department travel, Senior travel, handicap travel, family travel. I
will
grow my agency. I will crush all the competition around.

This is going to be easy. I'm going to make my money sending people
on
cruises. Heck, I bet this is going to be easier than a woman selling
herself on the street.

Do you know how many cruises you have to sell to make $50K?

Do TA's ever make outgoing sales calls? Are they required to try to
get
up sells? Say for instance, if someone calls and wants to go on a five
day
cruise, you are supposed to try to get them to take a seven day cruise
instead. Or do you basically try to give the client exactly what want
they
want and help them choose?

I have my trick list (erh, client list) that I email on a regular
basis. I don't spam and I don't do cold calls (most people are on do
not call lists these days. I do advertise locally, but I'll take
business from anywhere. I've gotten some business from here, some
from various fora I belong to. Some word of mouth, some from placing
various brochures for handy access at local business. Different media
work at different times.

Do you advertise in magazines? Are you a one person business or do you
have agents working for you? What percentage of your sales are in person
vs. over the phone?

Also I still want to know, do you think the phone agents at Cruises Only
are trained travel agents or are they just phone reps?

Old December 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "Von Fourche" :

"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message
.. .
Thus spake "Von Fourche" :

[...]

No to the magazine ads. National advertising is just too expensive.
I'm a one person shop as part of a 500 member host agency. Although
all of my sales start as either email or phone, most are finalized
with a visit to the client's house. I like to make the face to face
contact where I can. Can't do that with out of town contacts, but I
give everybody as much hand holding as I can, if they want it.

--
dillon

When I was a kid, I used to think the horse's name was Bob
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Dec 20 2006, 12:47 am, Dillon Pyron
wrote:
Thus spake "Von Fourche" :

[...]

When I was a kid, I used to think the horse's name was Bob- Hide quoted text -

Hello,

Internet booking sites are putting traditional agents out of business.
Why deal with people when you can book your own vacation online. You
can have your own site with YTB. Same booking engine as expedia and
the like. Check it out @ www.ytb.com/jatchue

Old February 15th, 2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Internet booking sites are putting traditional agents out of business.
Why deal with people when you can book your own vacation online. You
can have your own site with YTB. Same booking engine as expedia and
the like. Check it out @ www.ytb.com/jatchue

Sorry, you are wrong....I would much rather deal with a familiar voice on
the phone when I book my cruises and know that they will be there to see to
it if things are wrong...They know my preferences, will lower my price and
upgrade me when they see any changes that may benefit me...I'll take a
traditional travel agent any day!

By the way...you are advertising here which is a *no no* and against the RTC
Charter.

--Jean