Best Places to Shop In Seattle Area for Canucks?

Old October 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

Default Best Places to Shop In Seattle Area for Canucks?

"Pat" wrote in message

snip

South of Seattle in Portland there is no sales tax.

In Washington state, if you can show you're from out of state, you don't
have to pay the sales tax. In fact, if I mail a present from the store to an
out-of-state address, I don't have to pay sales tax.

The best place I know for electronics in Fry's, whose Seattle store is in
Renton, just south of Seattle. Here's their web site: www.frys.com. The best
place I know for fashion would be Nordstrom in downtown Seattle. They also
have a discount store, The Rack, downtown. And many mall locations.

Disclaimer: I don't know how the US prices compare with Canadian prices.

Marianne

Old October 11th, 2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ab.general,soc.culture.canada,can.general,van.general
JudgeLynch

Where can one get the official info, regarding out of state residents NOT
HAVING TO PAY THE SALES TAX?

I was unable to find this on the website for washington state.

Old October 12th, 2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ab.general,soc.culture.canada,can.general,van.general
Canuck57

"JudgeLynch" wrote in message
Where can one get the official info, regarding out of state residents NOT
HAVING TO PAY THE SALES TAX?

I was unable to find this on the website for washington state.

http://dor.wa.gov/docs/rules/eta/2014.pdf

I guess if your from BC they found some way to close this to the people of
BC. Thank your local greedy government, as they will still get your GST/PST
at the border. I know I have used it as a Alberta resident. Quite nice
actually.

Montana does not have a sales tax, neither does Oregon, and some others.
Have a nice drive down the coast. Or Whitefish and Kalispell are good
places to visit. Chilli days is a hoot. Booze is dirt cheap in Montana.
Do a weekend where we head into a town we know where the store sells booze
cheap, rent a cabin and drink t'il we drop. Order in some pizzas. Sober
up, and go shopping. A hoot.

And fill up before you go home. And enter on a dry tank.

Take a look at amazon.com and amazon.ca. Another retailer into the last
century with a 42% extra mark-up for Canadians. To add insult, you have to
pay 42% more GST/PST.

Old October 12th, 2007, 04:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ab.general,soc.culture.canada,can.general,van.general
Carole Allen[_1_]

My son lives in Oregon and if he shops here he shows his Oregon
driver's license and is not charged sales tax. Occasionally he has
had to pick up some general office supplies when he's up here on
business, etc., and againthey don;t chargehim sales tax

Old October 13th, 2007, 08:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ab.general,soc.culture.canada,can.general,van.general
Serious

wrote:

Where is "here"?

"Carole Allen" wrote in message
My son lives in Oregon and if he shops here he shows his Oregon
driver's license and is not charged sales tax. Occasionally he has
had to pick up some general office supplies when he's up here on
business, etc., and againthey don;t chargehim sales tax

That's not legal:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=458-20-193

Old October 14th, 2007, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ab.general,soc.culture.canada,can.general,van.general
Kenneth McVay OBC

In article ,
JudgeLynch wrote:
Where can one get the official info, regarding out of state residents NOT
HAVING TO PAY THE SALES TAX?

Trying to avoid GST, Grosvenor? Duty?
Still afraid to use your real name?

Can't say I blame you; perhaps you should change it again,
perhaps to "Pferdeköddel" or "Scheiße."

http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/people/g/grosvenor-william
http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=grosvenor+faq

For Grosvenor Relief, contact , and include
full headers from his articles, most of which violate Shaw's
Acceptable Use Policy, which includes the following text:

=== Newsgroups

Messages posted to newsgroups must comply with the
written charters or Frequently Asked Questions (?FAQ?s?)
for those newsgroups. Advertisements, solicitations, or
other commercial messages may be posted only in those
newsgroups whose charters or FAQ?s explicitly permit
them. You are responsible for determining the policies
of a given newsgroup before posting to it.

(Grosvenor's articles are often off-topic and in
violation of the groups he routinely posts to.)

Posting or cross-posting the same or substantially
similar messages to more than 9 newsgroups is
prohibited. Our news software will automatically
cancel any messages posted to 9 or more newsgroups.

(Grosvenor often circumvents this restriction
by cross posting identical articles to several
batches of different newsgroups.)

Forging, altering or removing header information
is prohibited. This includes attempting
to circumvent the approval process for posting
to a moderated newsgroup.

(Grosvenor jumps from identity to identity in
the vain hope he won't be recognized. This
by necessity involves forging the "From"
data in the header.)

You may not flood or disrupt Usenet newsgroups.
Disruption is defined as posting a large number of
messages to a newsgroup which contain no
substantive content, to the extent that normal
discussion in the group is significantly hindered.
Examples of disruptive activities include, but
are not limited to: posting multiple messages
with no text in the body, posting many follow-ups
to messages with no new text.

(Grosvenor does this as a matter of routine,
particularly in the soc.culture groups.)

===

KILLFILE these Grosvenor sockpuppets:
-------------------------------------
er

Borked Pseudo Mailed

freecycle@pepsiphreak

Georges Feuerstein

KenMcVay
noid

Ken McVaySOBC

nazikor.net

PanPiotrGlownia@*

noid
Riain
noid

--
The Nizkor Project - An electronic Holocaust educational resource
David Irving vrs. Deborah Lipstadt & Penguin Books Ltd: Judgment
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:20 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ab.general,soc.culture.canada,can.general,van.general
Carole Allen[_1_]

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 07:09:16 GMT, "Serious" wrote:

That's not legal:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=458-20-193

Sure it is, didn't you read the entire thing?

(b) RCW 82.08.0273 provides an exemption from the retail sales tax to
certain nonresidents of Washington for purchases of tangible personal
property for use outside this state when the nonresident purchaser
provides proper documentation to the seller. This statutory exemption
is available only to residents of states and possessions or Province
of Canada other than Washington when the jurisdiction does not impose
a retail sales tax of three percent or more. These sales are subject
to B&O tax.

He doesn't come to shop in Washington specifically, since he can buy
these things in his home state of Oregon, tax-free. So on occasion
when visiting he needs to pick up a shirt, or some pens, or socks, or
something he will ultimately be taking back to Oregon with him to use,
and he shows his OR license and they don't charge him the sales tax.
He's not buying big-ticket items like electronics or tires.