Getting to the Borghese

Old July 20th, 2008, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Getting to the Borghese

We have a hotel near the St. John Lateran and, presuming this is the
best route, know to take the Metro from there to the Spanish Steps.
But how do I get from the Spanish Steps to the Galleria Borghese? We
have to be at the Borghese by about 8:25 AM (to pickup our tickets)
for our 9:00 AM reservation in August. Thanks.
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

We have a hotel near the St. John Lateran and, presuming this is the
best route, know to take the Metro from there to the Spanish Steps.
But how do I get from the Spanish Steps to the Galleria Borghese? We
have to be at the Borghese by about 8:25 AM (to pickup our tickets)
for our 9:00 AM reservation in August. Thanks.

Follow the largest crowd out of the metro and that should put you at the
base of the "Spanish Steps." Go up the steps and at the top turn left and
begin walking a short distance on the sidewalk until you reach the steps up
to the park which you have been paralleling. From the park entry watch the
signage and it should be NO problem. There are other exits from the metro
stop which might get you to the Galleria in shorter distance and time but
don't....could be confusing.
Regards, s

Old July 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

wrote:

We have a hotel near the St. John Lateran
and, presuming this is the best route,
know to take the Metro from there to the
Spanish Steps. But how do I get from the
Spanish Steps to the Galleria Borghese?
We have to be at the Borghese by about
8:25 AM (to pickup our tickets) for our
9:00 AM reservation in August.

'As the crow flies' it looks to be about 1.3km from the Spagna metro
station to the Borghese.

I know there is an underground walkway from the station that takes you
in the Villa Borghese Park. I assume that direction will be signposted
Borghese and oppositely Spagna for the piazza and Spanish Steps.

With your walk to the Metro Station, then the possibilty of full cars
and the walk to the gallery with the possiblity of getting alittle lost.
With all that while racing the clock I would opt for a taxi because it
would be a shame to miss the gallery due to being late.

Plus even just making it can cut-in on your 2-hr reservation time if
you want to rent the audioguide (bring an ID) or have to check something
(they are strick, I think maybe even handbags?).
And remember with 2hr block reservations everyone is doing these things
basically at the same time.

Also you arrive relaxed by taxi where-as sometimes if racing the clock
you arrive by PT and walking all wound-up (and sweaty which at least
for me isn't a good way to start-in on an art gallery or museum.
Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old July 20th, 2008, 09:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

In hindsight forget about getting lost if you take the metro.

Here is a map of that passageway
http://roma.freewebpages.org/METROSPA.GIF

Just follow it to the Porta Pinciana exit which is an ancient Roman
City Gate with very high City Walls and across the street is the Villa
Borghese Park.
Your map should show how easy it is to get to the Gallery (enter the
Park and take the 1st right {Viale d. Museo Borghese} which beelines and
ends at the Gallery.

Also if you do go to the Porta Pinciana here's alittle historical info
about the Gate and Park.

The Roman Empire was already in its decline but on August 24, 410AD it
was given a big shove.
*
*"The city which had taken the whole World was itself taken" St.
Jerome 412AD.
Rome hasn't been sacked and torched since the 390BC invasion by the
Gauls.

**Alaric and his Visigoth Army have laid seige on Rome for ~18
months, the city is staving and there are rumors of cannibalism.

*Alaric's army is camped in the present day Villa Borghese Park when
someone opened the Salaria Gate (now called the Porta Pinciana).

This City Gate was possibily opened by slaves who were spies for Alaric
or by servants of a noblewoman (to perhaps end the seige?/reward?/spy?).
*
*The 3 day sacking of Rome has begun and they will put Rome to the
torch when they leave.
The Visigoths are also Christians like the Romans so as far as sackings
go there have been alot worst in history re; violence.