Amsterdam Smoking Ban!

Old July 1st, 2008, 03:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_5_]

Default Amsterdam Smoking Ban!

Following up to Rene R.F. Wildeman

will visit the cafes more as I
disliked these blue clouds of tobacco smoke

this is from a rubbish newpaper but "the Restaurant" says the bans are
putting pubs "under pressure"

SCOTTISH pub bosses say they have been losing money and fear going out of
business because of a drop in trade since the smoking ban was imposed.

The Scottish Licensed Trade Association (SLTA) also fears that the
situation will get worse over the winter months.

Paul Waterson, chairman of the SLTA said: "Before the ban came in, we were
told it would be great for business. There would be hordes of people, who
wouldn’t normally come into smoky atmospheres, frequenting a pub.

“But the figures we will show prove that not to be the case by anybody’s
standards. It’s been bad for business at one of the best trading times of
the year."

Publicans have seen their takings drop in general but many are fighting
back by beefing up their food offerings as more and more people are tempted
back into licensed premises to eat now the fug has gone.

I think in the UK it will accelerate the conversion of pubs into semi
restaurants started by the start of drink driving awareness.
--
"Mike....."(not "Mike")
remove clothing to email
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
VainGlorious

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 15:47:17 +0100, "Mike....."
wrote:

Following up to Rene R.F. Wildeman

will visit the cafes more as I
disliked these blue clouds of tobacco smoke

this is from a rubbish newpaper but "the Restaurant" says the bans are
putting pubs "under pressure"

SCOTTISH pub bosses say they have been losing money and fear going out of
business because of a drop in trade since the smoking ban was imposed.

I firmly believe that pubs and other businesses should have the right
to allow smoking on their premises. Rather than ban smoking, I would
prefer a regulatory system similar to alcohol, where smoking permits
must be obtained and councils can limit the number of permits. This
can act as a balance for the public, some of whom want a smoke-free
night out.

That said, I live in the US, in a state that has the most Draconian
smoking ban in the country (Washington state). Smoking was banned two
years ago. You are also forbidden from smoking within 25 feet (8
meters) of any doorway. Most smokers ignore the 25ft rule; it's never
enforced. As a consequence, the streets are full of rowdy smokers.

But to the point: hang in there, Scottish pub owners. The smoking ban
will hurt for a year or two. Statistics have shown that the lull in
business is temporary. They WILL come back.

I don't smoke, but I used to. I don't mind smoke, and I actually join
smokers outside sometimes just to socialize. I'd prefer that some bars
remained smoky. The true American dive bar is going extinct. It's a
sad thing.

- TR

Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_5_]

Following up to VainGlorious

I don't smoke, but I used to. I don't mind smoke, and I actually join
smokers outside sometimes just to socialize. I'd prefer that some bars
remained smoky. The true American dive bar is going extinct. It's a
sad thing.

I was talking to a pub manager and suggested smoking bars with smoking
staff and his opinion was you couldnt recruit on that basis as it would be
regarded as pressureising staff to work with smoke. His attitude was thats
its not a new idea and had been ruled out as unworkable.
--
"Mike....."(not "Mike")
remove clothing to email
Old July 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mister B

On Jun 29, 1:46*am, (David Horne, _the_ chancellor
(*)) wrote:

As long as they stop smoking in restaurants and bars, I don't think I
personally care!

Went out for a meal last night for the first time since the smoking
ban was introduced - it was heaven!!

Well, as close to heaven as you can get in a Dutch restaurant,
anyway ..

B;.
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

(*)) wrote:

As long as they stop smoking in restaurants and bars, I don't think I
personally care!

Went out for a meal last night for the first time since the smoking
ban was introduced - it was heaven!!

Luckily, we didn't have much of a problem with smoke on the last short
trip to NL, though we did have to avoid a couple of places because of
it. I agree- it's so nice not having to worry about it as an issue. I
wish Spain would catch up... I'm minded only to ever visit in warmer
months in future...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Jim Ley wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 21:03:02 +0100, (David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

Jim Ley wrote:
I found holland a lot more annoying on wed-fri this week, the tran
station platforms are now completely overrun with people smoking, it
was so much more noticeable than in other visits, it was really
annoying (Of course I have spent lots of time on train platforms these
last few days.)

Is that permitted? I forget...

There are still smokring zones on the platform, but it's just an area,
and people spread out all around them and well away.

How annoying. They should be banned in all stations etc. I'm surprised
that hasn't happened. I still notice people catching a fly smoke in
uncovered areas on UK platforms (it's banned in any station) but that's
happening a _lot_ less. Nothing a £50 fine per discarded butt wouldn't
fix...

Old July 4th, 2008, 10:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mister B

On Jul 4, 10:03*pm, (David Horne, _the_ chancellor
(*)) wrote:
Jim Ley wrote:

(*)) wrote:

As long as they stop smoking in restaurants and bars, I don't think I
personally care!

Went out for a meal last night for the first time since the smoking
ban was introduced - it was heaven!!

Luckily, we didn't have much of a problem with smoke on the last short
trip to NL,

I found holland a lot more annoying on wed-fri this week, the tran
station platforms are now completely overrun with people smoking, it
was so much more noticeable than in other visits, it was really
annoying (Of course I have spent lots of time on train platforms these
last few days.)

Is that permitted? I forget...

It is in "smoking zones", but these don't have defined boundaries.

B;