Spain Travel Suggestions needed

Old July 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
shanky

Default Spain Travel Suggestions needed

Hello Everyone,

I am planning my first trip to Spain late August / early September
and would like some help in making the plans.

I am planning to visit Barcelona, Madrid and Gran Canary Islands in
this trip.

Sugggestions needed on the following:

1) Are there any other locations besideds these 3 I should be
visiting?
2) I will be travelling from USA, so I would like to know how should I
begin the travel, for example, fly to madrid then go to barcelona and
then gran canary islands ?
3) how many days will I need to spend at each of these destinations
and what would be the best mode of transportation to travel between
cities and inside the city?
4) Any good websites to book hotels in spain?
4) Any particular must see places / attractions while visiting these
places ( I am not a big fan of museum).?
5) Any nice restaurants to try some good spanish food?
6) Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help;
Shanky
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 01:27:53 -0700 (PDT), shanky
wrote:

[...]

What are you interested in? Culture, people, ancient sites,
architecture, theatre?

Personally, I would not leave out Granada and the Alhambra.
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/2006/10/alhambra.html

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

wrote:

[...]

granada.. cordoba.. sevilla.. just to make an example
Toledo.. Avila Caceres Salamanca..and a lot of ancient towns

Spain is a modern country where everything functions very well.
people are kind and prices are reasonable

Old July 15th, 2008, 12:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"tile" kirjoitti
in.it...

Spain is a modern country where everything functions very well.
people are kind and prices are reasonable

Traffic does not for one.

Old July 15th, 2008, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge12

Depends if you want to sightsee or lay on a beach.
If it's sightseeing, then forget about Gran Canary.
People have given you other places you "should not miss".
One trip to Spain will not be enough.

Old July 15th, 2008, 11:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jimmy Olsen Cub Reporter

Runge12 blabbles:

Depends if you want to sightsee or lay on a beach.
If it's sightseeing, then forget about Gran Canary.
People have given you other places you "should not miss".
One trip to Spain will not be enough.

Will Spain even allow you entry, scRunge...???

--
Best
Greg

[...]

Shanky- Hide quoted text -

Old July 15th, 2008, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jimmy Olsen Cub Reporter

shanky wrote:

[...]

Go he

http://www.madridman.com

Lots of helpful advice by an American who lives in Spain...

--
Best
Greg

Old July 16th, 2008, 09:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Tue, 15 Jul 2008 01:27:53 -0700 (PDT) schrieb shanky:

I am planning to visit Barcelona, Madrid and Gran Canary Islands in
this trip.

Sugggestions needed on the following:

1) Are there any other locations besideds these 3 I should be
visiting?

Gran Canary is purly for beach, there is not much more there to see or do.
I would prefer Tenerife, where you still have the beach, but you can also
make a tour to the Teide-Vulcano area, which is a nice day trip. The
Aquarium/Zoo "Loro Parque" in Tenerife is also worth a visit.

2) I will be travelling from USA, so I would like to know how should I
begin the travel, for example, fly to madrid then go to barcelona and
then gran canary islands ?

Sounds reasonable to me.

3) how many days will I need to spend at each of these destinations
and what would be the best mode of transportation to travel between
cities and inside the city?

From Barcelona to Madrid I would take the train. Plane takes too long (not
the flight itself, but you have to get to the airport, check in 2 hours
before the flight, wait on your luggage after the flight and so on..).

Inside the cities you can use public transport (trams and buses are cheap
in Spain) or take a Taxi (also won't cost you a fortune).

To get to the Canaries I would choose a flight. They do have ferries, but
it takes to long. Check out cheap airlines, as the Canary Islands is a
typical touris destination. Even from Germany you can get flights for
something like 100 EUR (one way), so you shouldn't pay more from Madrid
(unless you book expensive airlines, which is not nessecary for a trip of
two or three hours).

4) Any good websites to book hotels in spain?

There are thousands of good hotels in Spain - try sites like tripadvisor.
If you don't book one of the cheapo-places and invest at least 60 - 80 EUR
per night for your room (that should get you 3 - 4*) you cannot go much
wrong.

Regards,

Frank
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2008-07-15, tile wrote:

Spain is a modern country where everything functions very well.
people are kind and prices are reasonable

I was in Madrid last year, and was quite surprised at how expensive it
was.